What's It Like?

DaysinMaine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is it like breeding Persians? The community has a lot of people and it seems many people are highly critical within that specific breeding group. I love dollfaced persians and I wish I could pursue showing them, however, I'm worried because I have no experience in this topic. I know there is one lovely persian breeder on here who may be able to give me some insight into the world of showing and breeding them, however I do not see many dollfaced persian breeders so I'm at a bit of a loss :(

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Doll faced" generally refers to a Persian with a moderate head type that doesn't fit current show standards (many "doll-faced" Persians also have moderate body type, and less coat than a standard Persian). People do not usually show "doll-faced" Persians, except in the Household Pet class. If you are looking for a longhair breed to show that doesn't have the flat face of the show Persian of today, you might consider a different breed such as Ragdoll, Ragamuffin, British Longhair, Siberian, etc., or you could show in the Household Pet class.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Persian cattery and show. As Lutece said, doll face Persians do not usually do well in the show ring except as household pets. Now the silver and golden ( my color class) is traditionally less extreme BUT they are very difficult to show. If you are interested in breeding I would suggest contacting the CFA and joining the mentor program. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m not a breeder, just a very enthusiastic spectator at cat shows. :)

The breed standard for Persians calls for that extreme, flat-faced look (called brachycephalic), which is why you don’t see dollfaced Persians in the show ring, although you could show in the household pet class.

Another breed you might look into, in addition to the ones already suggested, is the Burmilla. They were originally a Persian x Burmese cross, but don’t have the flat face of a Persian. Burmillas come in both long- and shorthair.

Here are some helpful articles about showing cats:

Ready, Set, Show

What Is Grooming A Show Cat Like?

You’ll learn a lot from just attending shows and talking to breeders as well.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Doll faced" generally refers to a Persian with a moderate head type that doesn't fit current show standards (many "doll-faced" Persians also have moderate body type, and less coat than a standard Persian). People do not usually show "doll-faced" Persians, except in the Household Pet class. If you are looking for a longhair breed to show that doesn't have the flat face of the show Persian of today, you might consider a different breed such as Ragdoll, Ragamuffin, British Longhair, Siberian, etc., or you could show in the Household Pet class.
lutece lutece I ask out of honest curiosity, but do Ragdolls, Ragamuffins, BL's, Siberians and the like have a similar temperament to Persians?
(I've met Ragdoll cats and Persians and they seemed similar, but I'm curious about the other breeds and their level of being aloof/friendly, grooming requirements, lifespan, over all health, etc.)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't owned any of those breeds, so I have no personal experience with their temperament, but they seem nice enough when I see them at the shows. As far as grooming requirements, nothing compares to a Persian, all other breeds are easier :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't owned any of those breeds, so I have no personal experience with their temperament, but they seem nice enough when I see them at the shows. As far as grooming requirements, nothing compares to a Persian, all other breeds are easier :)
Most Persians I've met (not many, but my experiences) are super loves when it comes to being handled, held, groomed, combed out, or anything.
Buddy of mine decided to get himself a nice Persian about 2 years ago and this cat is personable and dog like, he greets people, loves being held, brushed, handled, played with. They're really fun cats.

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most Persians I've met (not many, but my experiences) are super loves when it comes to being handled, held, groomed, combed out, or anything.
Buddy of mine decided to get himself a nice Persian about 2 years ago and this cat is personable and dog like, he greets people, loves being held, brushed, handled, played with. They're really fun cats.
Mine is a year old and fits that description perfectly—still with the personality of a 6 month old at times, with frequent bursts of energy. Not shy at all but still very sweet and that’s often the word I use to describe him. He's at my heels pretty much any time I turn around and I have to be super careful in the kitchen.

Almost made the mistake of not getting one because their fur is so high maintenance. It took me a while to realize that I’m the right person for this type of cat—grooming is hands down my favorite part of the day. He did indeed learn to sit early on for grooming and was taught to tolerate frequent bathing as well. All this made my transition as a new owner so much easier, especially with no prior experience with the breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaysinMaine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your responses!

I will look into the household class and other breed suggestions as well. Another favorite of mine is the British Longhair. I really wish I would be more inclined to like the smooshy faces, but, I really prefer a doll like face. I've met some lovely persians and I agree they are sweethearts!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I would recommend that you visit some shows and talk to breeders before you commit to a breed. If you think you want to show and breed in the future, it will make a big difference if you find a friendly group of breeders who like to work together, are open about discussing any problems and issues in the breed, and are willing to mentor new breeders. Breeding and showing cats is something you can't do all by yourself; you need to work with others in order to keep the gene pool healthy, so it works best if you have a friendly community.

Also, British Longhair is not accepted in CFA (it is accepted in TICA) so you should keep that in mind if you live in an area that has fewer TICA shows and more CFA shows. But if you have TICA shows in your area, it could be a fun breed to work with.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last post didn't show up so I am trying again. Of the breeds mentioned I have no personal experience except for showing a darling Siberian kitten for a friend in one show. The kitten was so sweet! Another friend has a Burmilla who they
say is a sweet boy, but doesn't like showing (happens in all breeds). Another friend has a breed not suggested but I would highly recommend - Burmese. Frida (the cat) is the most laid back cat I have ever seen that isn't Persian. She has been a Pet Me cat at numerous CFA cat shows around the northeast. Of course my heart belongs to the Persian breed!!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Himalayan? A breed developed from Siamese and Persian?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Himalayan? A breed developed from Siamese and Persian?
The colorpoint ( Himalayan) is a color class of Persians in the Cat Fanciers Association so would be held to the Persian standard. This isn’t attractive to the original poster who wanted a less extreme face in acet to show or breed.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was given a Himalayan many years ago by a friend who could not keep her. Both photographs of Himalayan color point and the memory of my cat, is a cat with a short muzzle, but not the very compressed muzzle of the current Persian standard. I.E. a cat which would meet the O.P.s desire.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was given a Himalayan many years ago by a friend who could not keep her. Both photographs of Himalayan color point and the memory of my cat, is a cat with a short muzzle, but not the very compressed muzzle of the current Persian standard. I.E. a cat which would meet the O.P.s desire.
She stated that she wanted to show a doll faced cat. While you can get a non show standard Persian (no matter what the color) it would not be competitive in the ring. I started with color points, but they were pet quality. I knew after studying the breed standard that they would not do well in the shows. Current color point Persians that are shown meet the Persian standard. Just check out this cat that belongs to a friend of mine - GC, BWR, NW Brontti Royal Titanium at Bronti Persians of Maine to see what I mean.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You had got many good answers.
The breeders whom want to show do it usually with the modern flat face persians. Its not forbidden to comevwith a doll face but you wont win anything. And compete on pet class is nothing for a breeder as adults must be fixed.

Yet its much easier to breed healthy doll face than healthy flat faces. Important for a newbe breeder!
That is prob why flat faces are popular with byb breeders.

I think longhair brits burmillas or sibirians are your choices. If you want to participate in serious shows.
I notice in Sweden the modern sibirians tend to get a dollish looks... perhaps its so in USA too?
Thank you everyone for your responses!

I will look into the household class and other breed suggestions as well. Another favorite of mine is the British Longhair. I really wish I would be more inclined to like the smooshy faces, but, I really prefer a doll like face. I've met some lovely persians and I agree they are sweethearts!