What’s happening to my kittens whiskers

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had kittens and we kept one of them. He’s now four months old and I’ve noticed that his whiskers seem like they are being cut off or chewed off to where they are only about an inch long now. He is still breastfeeding, my cat tried to kick him off but he is very persistent so she kind of just lets him now. The mom grooms him while he feeds and I’m wondering if it is her that could be chewing them off while she’s grooming him or something? Or maybe he accidentally chews them off while he’s eating? Im not sure but hopefully it isn’t harming him!?

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he rubbed against something and snapped them off, it happens or squeezed into a small area as kittens do. They will grow back.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom got two kittens last year and they were adopted by her adult cats. We noticed one day that their whiskers looked cut off and then one day we saw one of the adults grooming a kitten and it was chewing its whiskers off! Eventually as they got older the behavior stopped and their whiskers look normal now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has he rubbed against something and snapped them off, it happens or squeezed into a small area as kittens do. They will grow back.
Mom was spayed during her csection and the boy needs to be 6 months here in Alberta, Canada before they will neuter him so he goes in next month! Also, thanks for the info!