What's going on with my cat??

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been sick with some odd symptoms and I'm curious if anyone can tell me if this sounds like anything familiar? I've already taken him to the vet once and we will probably be back tomorrow or on Monday, I would just really like to have an idea of what his problem might be before we go back.

Symptoms:
Eating small amounts of food
Not drinking much water, though acting like he wants to
Not going to the bathroom - I think I saw him in the box once this morning
When he has gone to the bathroom he passes small amounts of loose stool
Sleeping in a new spot and refusing to sleep anywhere else
Not very lethargic - he'll get up about as much, maybe only slightly less, as he usually does and seems to have no trouble jumping up onto his sleeping spot
Doesn't seem uncomfortable as far as I can tell
Not vomiting
Wants to go outside and eat grass (I assume because he's nauseated?)

OK, now details (I'll try to keep it as brief as possible!))

We got back from traveling two weeks ago and he seemed OK, but several days after took to sleeping in a different location (the couch in the living room), which is something he hasn't been doing lately (he always sleeps on my bed). I figured he was just recovering from our being gone - he doesn't like it when we leave and I'm not sure he had the best care in our absence either. However, he never moved back to his spot on the bed, and last week I noticed that he really seemed determined to not be back there at all except to eat and use the litter box. I really noticed this on a day when we had some people (including kids) over and he was determined to stay out, which is something he would normally NEVER do. It's still the same currently - he does not want to be in that area for extended lengths of time.

Fast forward to a few days ago when I noticed that he wasn't really eating, had some bathroom problems, and threw up a couple of times. I thought he had an infected anal sac as those are the symptoms he usually exhibits when he has one (it's a problem for him). So Wednesday we took him to the vet. He examined his sacs and declared that both were empty, except that there was some puffy skin under one sac, and mentioned the possibility of it rupturing under the skin. He gave him an antibiotic shot and also some fluids because he was dehydrated.

Wednesday (the day we took him to the vet) I would say he was definitely lethargic, but now he's as I described above. He's eating a little more than previously, but now he's not drinking very much. He's not really going to the bathroom either. I have no clue what's going on! Normally when he's sick he'll exhibit the usual symptoms of lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhea, but we haven't really had that. He is frequently wanting to go outside to eat grass (he's an indoor cat but I do sometimes allow him backyard privileges).

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could it also possibly be behavioral? We adopted two kittens last year who will sometimes bug him - do you think maybe he's just had enough? 😆

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is an emergency and I would recommend going to a vet ASAP. An emergency room if regular ones are not currently open. If he's going to the litter and not passing anything it could be a urinary blockage which is a life threatening emergency for a cat. If it's been going on for some time, it is even more important.

When Nobel first got FLUTD he was eating and playing normally with me literally 15 minutes before. It was scary, but due to the immediate vet attention he was better within a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is an emergency and I would recommend going to a vet ASAP. An emergency room if regular ones are not currently open. If he's going to the litter and not passing anything it could be a urinary blockage which is a life threatening emergency for a cat. If it's been going on for some time, it is even more important.

When Nobel first got FLUTD he was eating and playing normally with me literally 15 minutes before. It was scary, but due to the immediate vet attention he was better within a few days.
Thank you for your input! He did go to the litter box last night, which is good! We went back to the vet this morning and he ran bloodwork, I think he really suspects kidney disease. I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not convinced that's it as he doesn't really have any of the symptoms associated with that. Plus the last time he had bloodwork (March of this year), his levels weren't that bad.

I also considered constipation as a potential probem even though he's not really showing a lot of those symptoms either. 🤷‍♀️ I'm really at a loss!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It almost sounds as though something happened while he was on the bed (could have been anything, even scary loud sound from outside).

Anyway, that, plus the kittens likely aren't causes of the actual problem, just irritants and relatively minor stressors (even though he won't go back on the bed, --the stress would only occur now if he had to be there which of course you aren't making him do that :) )

Did the vet feel his stomach to try to determine if there was poop in him? If you're comfortable with this vet, maybe if you aren't seeing normal litterbox usage, ask for an x-ray.

In case these might help;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think he really suspects kidney disease. I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not convinced that's it as he doesn't really have any of the symptoms associated with that. Plus, the last time he had bloodwork (March of this year), his levels weren't that bad.
How old is your cat? And, when you say his last bloodwork numbers weren't that bad, what does that mean - were they indicative of some level of kidney disease? The things you describe could be related to kidney disease, but also a lot of other things as well. The symptoms related to kidney disease can vary from cat to cat.

Let's see what this new bloodwork reveals. Also, did they do a urinalysis?

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! It almost sounds as though something happened while he was on the bed (could have been anything, even scary loud sound from outside).

Anyway, that, plus the kittens likely aren't causes of the actual problem, just irritants and relatively minor stressors (even though he won't go back on the bed, --the stress would only occur now if he had to be there which of course you aren't making him do that :) )

Did the vet feel his stomach to try to determine if there was poop in him? If you're comfortable with this vet, maybe if you aren't seeing normal litterbox usage, ask for an x-ray.

In case these might help;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
Thank you so much for your input and sharing those links, I really appreciate it! It is possible something happened while we were away that scared him from his sleeping spot. I agree though, that that and the kittens probably aren't the main cause of what's going on now.

The vet we saw today wasn't his usual vet and I'm not convinced is the best, at least for more complex situations. He did feel his stomach but didn't say he felt anything. My cat is large which I know makes it hard for them to actually feel if there's a blockage sometimes. I think he's pretty convinced it's kidney disease and so I didn't feel like he listened to the symptoms I was giving him. He did blood work, administered fluids, and sent us out the door with an appetite stimulant (which I'm not going to use since my cat is eating some, just not a lot).

My plan of action right now is to see if he uses the litter box again today and what's in it and then see what the labs say and go from there. I'm really hoping it's not a blockage though, because I would hate to delay treatment!

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? And, when you say his last bloodwork numbers weren't that bad, what does that mean - were they indicative of some level of kidney disease? The things you describe could be related to kidney disease, but also a lot of other things as well. The symptoms related to kidney disease can vary from cat to cat.

Let's see what this new bloodwork reveals. Also, did they do a urinalysis?
My cat is 15. His labs in March showed normal levels. Again, I'm not ruling it out, I'm just not entirely convinced that's it either. That said, we were going over his last labs today and his sodium as well as glucose levels were on the high end.

I know they were going to try and get urine but the vet never said if they succeeded. I am going to see if the bloodwork tells us anything and go from there!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for your input! He did go to the litter box last night, which is good! We went back to the vet this morning and he ran bloodwork, I think he really suspects kidney disease. I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not convinced that's it as he doesn't really have any of the symptoms associated with that. Plus the last time he had bloodwork (March of this year), his levels weren't that bad.

I also considered constipation as a potential probem even though he's not really showing a lot of those symptoms either. 🤷‍♀️ I'm really at a loss!
Glad to hear he used the litter normally! Hopefully bloodwork will show nothing too serious and it could be just a side effect of the antibiotics.

My friend has a cat with this issue and she goes in to have her cat's anal sacs expressed every month. Apparently, something you can learn to do at home, but she prefers to let the office manage clean up 😂 Anyways she's glad as it saves a lot of emergency trips.

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*Update*

We got the lab results today and as suspected, kidney disease is not the problem. Unfortunately, he hasn't gotten better, only worse. Today he wouldn't eat at all and while urinating in his box, he still seems to be having some trouble pooping (when he does, it's little loose amounts). So now he's currently at the vet getting some X-rays to check for a blockage. If that doesn't show anything, they will check for pancreatitis.

I suspect a blockage - he doesn't have many of the pancreatitis symptoms either (no diarrhea, fever, vomiting) - but we'll see. Really hoping the X-ray will show something helpful!

Thank you everyone for your comments! :)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! On the eating grass front…cats often do that as a way of dealing w/ a blockage (Or something else they want out). So I’d bet your guess is a good one. Please keep us posted!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
*Update*

We got the lab results today and as suspected, kidney disease is not the problem. Unfortunately, he hasn't gotten better, only worse. Today he wouldn't eat at all and while urinating in his box, he still seems to be having some trouble pooping (when he does, it's little loose amounts). So now he's currently at the vet getting some X-rays to check for a blockage. If that doesn't show anything, they will check for pancreatitis.

I suspect a blockage - he doesn't have many of the pancreatitis symptoms either (no diarrhea, fever, vomiting) - but we'll see. Really hoping the X-ray will show something helpful!

Thank you everyone for your comments! :)
Looking forward to answers for you both!

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, so no blockage either! 🤷‍♀️ The vet said that he was very wet on the bottom which would indicate diarrhea over constipation, however, if what he's been passing is diarrhea, it's small amounts. Going to do the pancreatitis test next - I have absolutely no idea what to do if that comes back negative. I could seek a second opinion I guess, but I just don't know. :confused:

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear your kitty isn't well 😔
If the vet hasn't picked up on anything could he be periodically dehydrated? What does he eat?
Maybe adding some water to his food could help?
We had a horrible heatwave here and both of my kitties had trouble with a bit of dehydration and water intake because they were playing and zooming around as normal and it was just too hot! they are on a wet food diet but still needed additional water added to their meals . It caused similar symptoms to what you're describing.
I hope you get it figured out soon :redheartpump:

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear your kitty isn't well 😔
If the vet hasn't picked up on anything could he be periodically dehydrated? What does he eat?
Maybe adding some water to his food could help?
We had a horrible heatwave here and both of my kitties had trouble with a bit of dehydration and water intake because they were playing and zooming around as normal and it was just too hot! they are on a wet food diet but still needed additional water added to their meals . It caused similar symptoms to what you're describing.
I hope you get it figured out soon :redheartpump:
Thanks so much for your input! He eats Purina One, which I know isn't great - I'm going to look into switching his food as soon as he feels better! He's never been a fan of wet food but as he's gotten older he seems to like it more, so might try incorporating that as well.

I'm sorry that happened to your kitties, hopefully they're doing well now! That's interesting that the symptoms are the same. He has been dehydrated each time we've taken him in to the vet.

I think what has ended up happening is a chain of events as well as mistakes on my part. He's had bathroom problems off and on for a while now and I wonder if the stress of us being gone (we had a family with kids taking care of our animals, so that may have stressed him out even more than usual) combined with any bathroom problems he may have been experiencing made him feel bad. Then, I made the mistake of giving him his flea meds, which he always reacts to (the day after he gets a little sick). Usually, I know that that is going to happen (the flea med reaction), but for whatever reason, instead I thought his anal glands were impacted (an ongoing problem for him and he was exhibiting some of the symptoms he usually does when they're mpacted), so I took him in to have them expressed. They actually ended up not being very full but the vet gave him an antibiotic because he noticed a pocket of skin underneath one of his sacs. That said, I forgot that antibiotics can suppress a cat's appetite so I worried when he still wasn't eating and eventually took him back in. Long story short, I'm just wondering if the antibiotic, combined with the stress of going to the vet and going days with not eating much is what really put us where we currently are. 🤷‍♀️