What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dejolane, When I go downtown I can get the soup in Chinatown. There are lots of Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai restaurants. I'm sure you could find it in most cities.

Thai food is my favorite.

Last edited:

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having a difficult time this evening. Cooking seemed like too much of a chore and I couldn't decide on a "safe" meal for me to eat. So, unfortunately, I decided to just go with pizza. I knew I wouldn't eat a ton of it, but it had everything covered on my meal plan and it was a compact meal.

I ordered pizza from Papa Johns and had their Tuscan six-cheese pizza. It was decent, but I feel uncomfortable after eating something that is, in my mind, unhealthy. But, I pushed myself and am doing kind of okay now. It is what it is, I guess.

Anyway, tomorrow's a new day...

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Baked chicken leg, bowl of spinach with garlic and half a raw red bell pepper.  I don't really know how to cook so my meals tend to be very simple, I swear I spend more time prepping the animal's food than my own.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dejolane, When I go downtown I can get the soup in Chinatown. There are lots of Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai restaurants. I'm sure you could find it in most cities.

Thai food is my favorite.
Are you any chance in Philly? If so, you should try Choo Choo's. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to get something out of the freezer. So now I'm thinking some kind of chicken in the pressure cooker.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'm going to do some kind of spaghetti bake.  My SIL made an excellent one a few years ago that I've been thinking about; but I don't have her recipe so I'm going to "wing it."

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a cross-rib roast in the slow cooker - doing as a potroast of sorts - tossed in celery, yellow, red and orange mini-bell peppers, and mushrooms.  Thawed some pork/spinach/rice stuffing to go with it, and will also have salad and zucchini.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tuna salad and baked beans. I know, but it is church night. Not much time to cook.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to get something out of the freezer. So now I'm thinking some kind of chicken in the pressure cooker.
ETA: Well, Rick decided he'd like to have a steak sandwich with onions, mushrooms, peppers and cheese tonight. I got a small container of crock pot baked beans out of the freezer, too, and nuked them in the microwave.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Banana Leaf is very good! I recommended Choo Choo's because it's very good for it's very cheap price. 

I had pasta. Boring.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The recipe for the thai peanut chicken was as simple as could be. You have two different options - one is to purchase a thai peanut sauce from the grocery store. I did not do this, but the ingredients were very similar to what I made on my own. Next time, I may just purchase the sauce as the most difficult part was ensuring that I had all of the spices and ingredients at home. I will say, though, stick with an all natural version. Some of the sauces at the store were very processed. But, that being said, I did find some terrific all natural products. So, they do exist!

thai peanut chicken

5 tablespoons peanut butter (most recipes call for creamy, but I actually like how the crunchy works)

7 tablespoons soy sauce

3 tablespoons peanut oil (you can sub olive oil)

5 teaspoons white wine vinegar

1 teaspoon curry powder

1 tablespoon chopped ginger

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like it hotter, use more - if you like it more mild, use less)

1 clove of garlic, chopped or minced (you can use more or less as desired)

2 cups diced red and green bell peppers

1 cup chopped onion

3 cups chopped broccoli

4-6 chicken breasts or 8-10 chicken tenders - cut into strips or diced

rice or noodles as desired

cornstarch to thicken the sauce (this is optional)

Now, keep in mind that I cooked everything in the slow-cooker. You can cook it stove-top if that is preferred. I briefly had the chicken in oil on my stove, just to get it started. Then, I mixed all of the spices, the oil, soy sauce, and peanut butter and placed it in the crock pot along with the white wine vinegar, ginger, and onion. I put the chicken in with the mixture and set it to cook on high for 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark, I added in the vegetables and lowered the crock pot to medium heat as I did not want them to get mushy. Between 2 1/2 to 3 hours, I turned the cooker off, but set it to warm while I boiled and drained the noodles. I served the noodles separately from the thai peanut chicken so that the noodles wouldn't make the sauce starchy. I did add some cornstarch, however, to the mixture so that it would thicken some as that is how I preferred it. After everything was said and done, I plated it and had a bit. And, it was really quite good!

It truly is a simple recipe. Like I said, the hardest part was getting the spices and ingredients together. After that, the slow-cooker did the work for me. You don't even have to brown the chicken in a pan first - you can just place it in the crock pot. And, I suppose, if you're going to cook this and let it set though the day, just keep it on low and add the veggies when you get home. You can bump up the heat then so that you only have a 15-20 minute wait until dinner is done. And, that's exactly the time you'd need for the rice or noodles. But, beware, unless you're feeding a family of 4 or 5, you're going to have leftovers!

If you try this, let me know. I'm interested to see if others would like this. And, if you have any questions, let me know!
WOW!!!!!! I LOVED THIS!!!!  I just finished eating it. I browned the chicken first in a little sesame oil because I love that flavor. I made mine in the oven because I started late and didn't have 4 hours to cook. This was so delicious...like a good asian restaurant.

Thanks again for the recipe.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to get something out of the freezer.
:flail: GOOD ONE, Pam. I am going to use that one sometime very soon. :lol3: Although, Larry gone all next week so I can't use that excuse quite yet. I don't think Cheez-Its will be very healthy for dinner every single night next week ( I might get sick of them. :eek:) so I may have to cook for myself.

Last edited:

noblegiraffe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I chucked a lamb shoulder in the slow cooker with a bottle of wine, some tinned chopped tomatoes, garlic, dried mixed herbs and fresh mint. It doesnt look like it will be done in time so we are turning to the food of the Gods...KFC

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little fish cakes shaped like novelty fish with wholewheat pasta mixed with sauteed spinach and leeks so it looks like seaweed under the sea. 

And about a quarter of a smallish melon for afters. 

Status
Not open for further replies.