Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Cheez Its.
Seriously, though.
I knew it! As soon as you said Larry was going away for a few days, I knew there'd be Cheez-its in there somewhere!!!

We're hitting the grocery store tonight. I didn't make it to lunch today.....long story short, my MIL called and said she had fallen. I took her to the doctor this morning and just now got back into work (my MIL is fine, no injuries, other than bruised pride...she was lucky). But no lunch. I'm leaving early from work and then when Rick gets home, we'll go for groceries. I think we'll probably have a couple Lean Pockets tonight for dinner. I am so not in the mood to cook tonight and since I missed my lunch break, I'll have to finish my walk tonight on the treadmill.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We ended up going to Mc Donalds I think we deserved a quick dinner and no dishes.

dejolane

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't think I'm stupid but what is Pho ? I don't go pass egg rolls.  
Pho is Vietnamnese rice noodle soup! There are both chicken and beef varieties. You can get beef pho with flank steak, rare steak, meatballs... Often garnished with Thai basil, fresh hot pepper slices, and bean sprouts. Maybe with a squirt of Sriracha hot sauce and/or with Hoisin sauce! Very tasty and an amazing comfort food.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, as much as I dislike talking about what I've eaten, I definitely need the accountability. And, this seems like a place where there is normalized food talk. I need to be able to discuss food in a normalized fashion. And, it wouldn't hurt to get ideas about meals, recipes, and the like as well.

I wanted something Asian-inspired this evening. I made thai peanut chicken with kluski noodles. I used slow-cooker for the chicken and thai peanut sauce. I cooked it on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours and then had it warm for an additional 30 minutes. The chicken was tender, but not mushy. Then, I boiled water and cooked the kluski noodles before putting everything together. I think it came out quite well. I didn't eat much, but that just means there are plenty of leftovers that would make for a quick dinner or lunch option on days that I work. 

If all goes as planned, I am going to make a teriyaki dish in the slow-cooker tomorrow. If nothing else, I will have meals for later on in the week.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, as much as I dislike talking about what I've eaten, I definitely need the accountability. And, this seems like a place where there is normalized food talk. I need to be able to discuss food in a normalized fashion. And, it wouldn't hurt to get ideas about meals, recipes, and the like as well.

I wanted something Asian-inspired this evening. I made thai peanut chicken with kluski noodles. I used slow-cooker for the chicken and thai peanut sauce. I cooked it on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours and then had it warm for an additional 30 minutes. The chicken was tender, but not mushy. Then, I boiled water and cooked the kluski noodles before putting everything together. I think it came out quite well. I didn't eat much, but that just means there are plenty of leftovers that would make for a quick dinner or lunch option on days that I work. 

If all goes as planned, I am going to make a teriyaki dish in the slow-cooker tomorrow. If nothing else, I will have meals for later on in the week.
I'm eating celery with peanut butter as I'm reading this. Thai peanut chicken sounds much better! I would love to make this. Where did you find the recipe?

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The recipe for the thai peanut chicken was as simple as could be. You have two different options - one is to purchase a thai peanut sauce from the grocery store. I did not do this, but the ingredients were very similar to what I made on my own. Next time, I may just purchase the sauce as the most difficult part was ensuring that I had all of the spices and ingredients at home. I will say, though, stick with an all natural version. Some of the sauces at the store were very processed. But, that being said, I did find some terrific all natural products. So, they do exist!

thai peanut chicken

5 tablespoons peanut butter (most recipes call for creamy, but I actually like how the crunchy works)

7 tablespoons soy sauce

3 tablespoons peanut oil (you can sub olive oil)

5 teaspoons white wine vinegar

1 teaspoon curry powder

1 tablespoon chopped ginger

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like it hotter, use more - if you like it more mild, use less)

1 clove of garlic, chopped or minced (you can use more or less as desired)

2 cups diced red and green bell peppers

1 cup chopped onion

3 cups chopped broccoli

4-6 chicken breasts or 8-10 chicken tenders - cut into strips or diced

rice or noodles as desired

cornstarch to thicken the sauce (this is optional)

Now, keep in mind that I cooked everything in the slow-cooker. You can cook it stove-top if that is preferred. I briefly had the chicken in oil on my stove, just to get it started. Then, I mixed all of the spices, the oil, soy sauce, and peanut butter and placed it in the crock pot along with the white wine vinegar, ginger, and onion. I put the chicken in with the mixture and set it to cook on high for 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark, I added in the vegetables and lowered the crock pot to medium heat as I did not want them to get mushy. Between 2 1/2 to 3 hours, I turned the cooker off, but set it to warm while I boiled and drained the noodles. I served the noodles separately from the thai peanut chicken so that the noodles wouldn't make the sauce starchy. I did add some cornstarch, however, to the mixture so that it would thicken some as that is how I preferred it. After everything was said and done, I plated it and had a bit. And, it was really quite good!

It truly is a simple recipe. Like I said, the hardest part was getting the spices and ingredients together. After that, the slow-cooker did the work for me. You don't even have to brown the chicken in a pan first - you can just place it in the crock pot. And, I suppose, if you're going to cook this and let it set though the day, just keep it on low and add the veggies when you get home. You can bump up the heat then so that you only have a 15-20 minute wait until dinner is done. And, that's exactly the time you'd need for the rice or noodles. But, beware, unless you're feeding a family of 4 or 5, you're going to have leftovers!

If you try this, let me know. I'm interested to see if others would like this. And, if you have any questions, let me know!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We went out for pizza last night. We'll have the leftovers tonight. It has chicken, spinach, roasted red peppers, caramelized onions and garlic on it. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We are having spaghetti tonight. While we were in the grocery store last night, Rick asked me what I was planning for dinner this week. As I went down through my list of planned meals, he said that I didn't mention spaghetti. Evidently he's hungry for that, so spaghetti it is!

I still have a few slices of the Sesame Onion Bread in the freezer from Easter dinner, so I'll make up a bit of garlic butter and spread that on the slices. Throw on a bit of mozzarella and some Italian seasoning and slip the slices under the broiler for a few minutes. And that will go well with dinner.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The recipe for the thai peanut chicken was as simple as could be. You have two different options - one is to purchase a thai peanut sauce from the grocery store. I did not do this, but the ingredients were very similar to what I made on my own. Next time, I may just purchase the sauce as the most difficult part was ensuring that I had all of the spices and ingredients at home. I will say, though, stick with an all natural version. Some of the sauces at the store were very processed. But, that being said, I did find some terrific all natural products. So, they do exist!

thai peanut chicken

5 tablespoons peanut butter (most recipes call for creamy, but I actually like how the crunchy works)

7 tablespoons soy sauce

3 tablespoons peanut oil (you can sub olive oil)

5 teaspoons white wine vinegar

1 teaspoon curry powder

1 tablespoon chopped ginger

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like it hotter, use more - if you like it more mild, use less)

1 clove of garlic, chopped or minced (you can use more or less as desired)

2 cups diced red and green bell peppers

1 cup chopped onion

3 cups chopped broccoli

4-6 chicken breasts or 8-10 chicken tenders - cut into strips or diced

rice or noodles as desired

cornstarch to thicken the sauce (this is optional)

Now, keep in mind that I cooked everything in the slow-cooker. You can cook it stove-top if that is preferred. I briefly had the chicken in oil on my stove, just to get it started. Then, I mixed all of the spices, the oil, soy sauce, and peanut butter and placed it in the crock pot along with the white wine vinegar, ginger, and onion. I put the chicken in with the mixture and set it to cook on high for 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark, I added in the vegetables and lowered the crock pot to medium heat as I did not want them to get mushy. Between 2 1/2 to 3 hours, I turned the cooker off, but set it to warm while I boiled and drained the noodles. I served the noodles separately from the thai peanut chicken so that the noodles wouldn't make the sauce starchy. I did add some cornstarch, however, to the mixture so that it would thicken some as that is how I preferred it. After everything was said and done, I plated it and had a bit. And, it was really quite good!

It truly is a simple recipe. Like I said, the hardest part was getting the spices and ingredients together. After that, the slow-cooker did the work for me. You don't even have to brown the chicken in a pan first - you can just place it in the crock pot. And, I suppose, if you're going to cook this and let it set though the day, just keep it on low and add the veggies when you get home. You can bump up the heat then so that you only have a 15-20 minute wait until dinner is done. And, that's exactly the time you'd need for the rice or noodles. But, beware, unless you're feeding a family of 4 or 5, you're going to have leftovers!

If you try this, let me know. I'm interested to see if others would like this. And, if you have any questions, let me know!
I just went shopping for the ingredients. I like making my sauces from scratch too. I'm cooking this tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had toad in the hole with mash and lots of veggies. It was a using some freezer dregs kind of day. We had both venison and kangaroo sausages that needed using, and loads of frozen vegetables. 

I fancy some haddock kedgeree tomorrow with brown rice. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love pho! I try to have it once a week when I have time. I made it once, but it was a lot of work! I decided it was just easier to go out for it. :)

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My partner helped me make Japanese hot cakes for dinner. It was more like a large dessert. 

Status
Not open for further replies.