What's For Dinner? - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to watch Julia Child's PBS show. I learned how to make an omelette from her. Over time, I have done some tweaks to my omelettes. It was the first thing I ever cooked on my own. I remember it so clear. I was kind of fearful to attempt it, as both my parents were really good cooks. I remember the look of surprise, when I said I was going to make an omelette for myself: and then the looks of their pride when I finished it, and it came out good. They were so proud of me!

I always have cheese. Sometimes I add some ham, some previously sautéed fresh veggies, and that is it. With a couple slices of toast, it is a great meal.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
picking up japanese food gf hen pecked her dad into finally coming over to have dinner with us. poor guy has been eating dinner alone past 2 weeks about since her mom first went to the er then right into a convalescent home. he is basically a widower now gf mom isnt likely to return home to live with him realistically

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It broke. I had trouble flipping it.
Judging by the list of ingredients you put in the omelet it's possible you had too many things in it which is why it broke and you had trouble flipping it. I've had the same problem since I load mine up with veggies so I can relate. This is the reason why I usually end up making scrambled eggs instead. :lol:

Speaking of which, breakfast for dinner tonight - scrambled eggs with zucchini, green onion, avocado, red/green pepper and swiss cheese. Plus a morning bun I got at the bread bakery today. I've never tried this one before so hope I like it.

IMG_1818.jpeg

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby's birthday dinner...chicken marsala,noodles and the marsala sauce and his beloved lima beans.Made him a chocolate cake and turned it into a Washington pie (filling was cherry pie filling and pastry cream) with a drizzle of ganache over the top.He had no idea of my plans so was very surprised!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast for Dinner
Looks good, but needs some veggies!!!

scrambled eggs with zucchini, green onion, avocado, red/green pepper and swiss cheese.
Yeah, I like mine loaded with veggies too. Did you mix the avocado in or on the side?

Lunch: Brother brought me some NY bagels. I think this one was an everything bagel, it has seeds and stuff on it. I made a bagel sammich with miracle whip, superhot carolina reaper power, vegemite, baby spinach, kidney beans, vegetarian crumbles, extra sharp cheese.

Dinner: Half a Jreck's vegetarian sub, looks like it had provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, hot peppers, banana peppers, oil/dressing, oregano. My brother misunderstood me. I told him I like to keep subs for a couple days so they get soggy. So he told them to really pour the oil/italian dressing on to make it soggy!!! :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie Happy Birthday, Mr. Lizzie! :hugs:

M maggiedemi I always use a good nonstick pan for omelets. Otherwise, no matter how much I try, they'll stick. Every time. Three eggs whipped with a fork and a bit of milk or cream. I don't know why, but I always add milk or cream to my eggs. If you want salt, just a pinch. Plenty of butter in the nonstick pan (use about an 8-inch pan). Medium-low heat; you want the eggs to cook, but you don't want the bottom to get too brown. Throw the eggs into the pan. Tilt the pan and lift up the edges of the eggs, so that the eggs can flow down into the pan. Keep lifting edges and letting the eggs flow. Cook about six minutes, then throw your veggies onto one side of the omelet. As you flop your omelet onto your plate, fold it over. I get about half of the omelet from the pan to the plate, then fold the rest of the omelet over. Don't add too many fillings; that will make it harder to fold. (A nonstick pan is key, IMn-s-hO) It took me forever to figure out omelets; we ate a lot of scrambled eggs! At a local restaurant, they fold their omelets into thirds; I'm happy just to get them folded in half!

Last night, we had hoagies. Our version of hoagies, with my BIL's deli meats, caramelized onions, sliced peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. And they were excellent.

I'm not sure about tonight yet. Definitely chicken, but I haven't decided if I want Chicken Fricassee (aka Chic Fric around here) or chicken and waffles. Dear Richard would probably go for the chicken and waffles. If he has to eat chicken, he would prefer eating it without bones.

ETA: Men! Rick saw me come up the steps with chicken. "Chicken! Seriously???" "Fine, dear. What do you want for dinner tonight?" "Tuna and noodles!" "Seriously?" "YES!" Went back down the steps and brought up three cans of tuna, a package of diced onions and a package of diced peppers. And a peach pie. Yes, I know, it's carb overload. I don't care. Dinner tonight will be tuna and noodles, a bit of coleslaw, and peach pie. And iced tea.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I like mine loaded with veggies too. Did you mix the avocado in or on the side?
I do both but last night I chopped small pieces of avocado and mixed them in with the other veggies.

No clue what's for dinner tonight. I just had my first cup of coffee so can't think that far ahead yet. 😉

catlikesbusiness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Judging by the list of ingredients you put in the omelet it's possible you had too many things in it which is why it broke and you had trouble flipping it. I've had the same problem since I load mine up with veggies so I can relate. This is the reason why I usually end up making scrambled eggs instead. :lol:

Speaking of which, breakfast for dinner tonight - scrambled eggs with zucchini, green onion, avocado, red/green pepper and swiss cheese. Plus a morning bun I got at the bread bakery today. I've never tried this one before so hope I like it.

View attachment 441689
Delicious! :drinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.