What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I went out to lunch with my daughter for Indian food. I had Vegetable Kadhi, (mixed seasonal vegetables with herbs and spices), plus naan bread and tandoori roti. It was so good that I'll be having a small dinner - grapes, blueberries and cereal.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Large meatballs made using ground beef, pork, venison, and smoked bacon, slow simmered in a little broth and tomato paste, served over broad noodles
That sounds so good!!
I just had a roast beef sandwich with pepper jack cheese. I had a big-ish lunch (a big salad with two huge pieces of thick bread and butter) and wasn't too hungry. But I did sneak some kettle corn as a dessert!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I came in from the Shed yesterday to start dinner. Rick came out to the kitchen and told me that he'd been snacking pretty much all afternoon and wasn't hungry. We had Lebanon and baby Swiss sandwiches last night.

Stromboli is on the menu for our NYE supper.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I have mentioned - between the two removed teeth top left and fractured filling bottom right there are limitations on what I can eat. I just had two excellent soft scrambled duck eggs with milk, a pinch of salt, some fresh ground pepper. And a glass of Beaujolais nouveau.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, kind of the same way in here.. although we can do our own shopping and bring in our own foods..

There is a MANDATORY Food Policy in here, of $225 per month.. You CANNOT GET OFF OF IT! They make it so hard to do.. You need doctors notes, meet with a nutritionist, etc... it is ridiculous.

I would not mind so much if the quality of the food and the preparation were restaurant quality... alas, they are not. The supposed "Chief" never attended culinary school..
The best I can say is that it is really bad institutionalized food. I had better quality when I was hospitalized.
I gave them a Heart Association cookbook, for new recipes, and gave them about 10 of my own. The excuse in not using it: "They cannot make due the recipes for the entire building!!! and There are too many steps!!"... I told them that I could do the Math for them... I am on the food committee, so I can say such stuff.

I do to know why we have to pay for it.. Many people pay the fee, get the food and throw it away.. a kind of mini-protest.. but it does not help them.

What really gets me is that this is a HUD subsidized building--- for low 'Independent' income senior--- How the heck do they get away with charging us for Food?? and making it mandatory?? many of the non-independent tenants do not care. They love the fact that they do not have to cook.. I, along with many people are not of that opinion. It is not an assisted living building, but because of the aging population, it is becoming one.

People always complain.. at one point many said they were going to hold back on payment of the food bill.. When the time came to do so.. everyone chickened out.. ridiculous people...
We’ve had endless trouble with cooks for months - they get a new one and a few weeks later they’re gone. It’s because they pay them on the aged-care award, which is a lot lower than the hospitality award.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I have mentioned - between the two removed teeth top left and fractured filling bottom right there are limitations on what I can eat. I just had two excellent soft scrambled duck eggs with milk, a pinch of salt, some fresh ground pepper. And a glass of Beaujolais nouveau.
I missed the problems with your teeth, even one problem tooth can make food choices difficult but 3 would be rough. I hope they heal up quick. :hugs: I have never had duck eggs, are they different from chicken eggs in terms of flavor?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy Depends on a certain extent to what the ducks have been eating. These are from an end of driveway cooler - mostly chicken eggs, occasionally a dozen duck eggs. So my assumption is that they were fed mostly commercial feed with whatever they forage. The eggs are larger, yolk is somewhat larger proportionally, they are richer in everything eggs have - fats etc.

Today I beat two eggs with a splash of milk, pinch of salt, grind of black pepper. Scrambled over moderate heat. They were delicious.

In the past I have used duck eggs for baking with excellent results but need to balance the increased size - two duck eggs are about equivalent to three chicken eggs.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had Christmas dinner with the kids around 4 today....spiral ham,cauliflower casserole my son made (delish!),baked sweet potatoes,hawaiian rolls,and of course the usual olives and pickles and some chutney to go with....goat and ricotta cheese cheesecake with either blueberry or cherry topping.A glorious day was had by all!

Status
Not open for further replies.