What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tend to exaggate. On the menu everything had meat accept for the potato chips. I could have asked for a salad, grilled cheese or a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. They rarely have the ingredients for a salad anymore because of the shortages, and a grilled cheese is ok but they are greasy and are high in calories. I don't want one every day.

Everyone complains about the food here. I've compained to the director several times buy mostly nothing changes. Sometimes they have a good vegetarian meal but mostly it's just carbs.
A grilled cheese is nice once in awhile, but you shouldn't have to eat that, PB&J and chips forever. It seems like it would be easy to make a meal plan and split it so the menu is basically the same but with vegetarian options. Vegetarians need and want protein, too.
One of my favorite salads is pretty shortage friendly, it involves no lettuce. I just chop up whatever non-starchy vegetables I have on hand, add some onion if I have some, some cheese, olives, etc., some oil and dressing and that's that. It's really easy and an excellent way to use up leftovers before they go bad, which fills my stomach and saves money. Despite shortages, they should be able to be creative if they work in a kitchen. :(

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll have to remember that the next time I go to Aldi's. :thanks:

I had veggie fried rice with spinach and falafel. It may sound like a weird combination but I loved it. 😋 DH had chicken kiev with wild rice and a salad. Honeycrisp apple for dessert.
At my store it's on the aisle with the canned veggies,and it's in a glass jar.Other than homemade,I have never had a kraut that didn't need something done to it to make it taste better.This stuff is wonderful straight out of the jar.Ingredients are cabbage,water and salt.That's it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A grilled cheese is nice once in awhile, but you shouldn't have to eat that, PB&J and chips forever. It seems like it would be easy to make a meal plan and split it so the menu is basically the same but with vegetarian options. Vegetarians need and want protein, too.
One of my favorite salads is pretty shortage friendly, it involves no lettuce. I just chop up whatever non-starchy vegetables I have on hand, add some onion if I have some, some cheese, olives, etc., some oil and dressing and that's that. It's really easy and an excellent way to use up leftovers before they go bad, which fills my stomach and saves money. Despite shortages, they should be able to be creative if they work in a kitchen.!
Thanks, the salad sounds good expecially with broccoli, brussel
sprouts and califlower. Sometimes if I ask ahead they will adjust the spaghetti, mac and cheese, etc
that they are making and make me some without the meat. Some of the staff tell me that they feel bad because they don't always have anything to give me.

Tonight I had tofu, rice, pasta sauce and green preppers. It was good and they gave me so much, I had to ask for a doggie bag. I can heat it up tomorrow and add some peas or some beans to the rice to make a complete protient.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hot sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions is what's for dinner tonight. lizzie lizzie was talking about brats and now I'm hungry for them. We don't have any, so sausage it is!

We have been so spoiled with sauerkraut! My BIL makes the best sauerkraut ever and he makes sure we always have some in the freezer. It's so good!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I grabbed a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, and some supplies for T-day. I will have some chicken and some veggie mix, from the freezer. I have either a cous-cous and a quinoa butternut squash mix. I picked up some frozen breaded broccoli and some breaded zucchini sticks. I like to have some in the freezer...

Man, I cannot believe the increase in prices, since last week. I remember, at the end of last month, I heard a couple of the grocery store managers discussing the increase in pricing. One of them said, 'Wait, until middle November. It will jump dramatically.". He sure was correct!

I did get some Land o Lakes butter for $3.99 a pound. I like to keep it in the freezer.
Also picked up a package of English muffins, which I have not had in a long long time.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up some frozen breaded broccoli and some breaded zucchini sticks.
Where did you find them? I used to buy them at Price Club but when they sold out to Costco I could not find them anywhere. I also brought the breaded mushrooms. There is a pizza place here that sells the breaded mushrooms and they are to die for.

Last night they gave me a plate full of rice, mixed vegetables and carrots. It was good just way too much. They also had tomato soup. I don't know how they are making their tomato soup but it is not good like used to be.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm making pizza tonight.

A couple months ago, I made pizza sauce, put it in small containers and threw them in the freezer. I thought it would be enough for quite a while. I was wrong. Rick just came up from the basement, put a container on the counter and said, "That's it. That's the last one." Guess I know what I'm going to be doing. That stuff has really come in handy and it's good sauce.

I used to know every single thing that was in the freezers. I had a list and I knew where everything was. Well, Dear Richard decided to re-arrange the freezers by himself. That way he knew where stuff was. The problem is that I no longer do. So I either have to ask him, "Dear, where's the pizza sauce and in which freezer?" And he tells me. Or I ask, "Dear, will you go downstairs for a container of pizza sauce?" I choose the latter. He goes down, grabs the container and brings it up.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you find them? I used to buy them at Price Club but when they sold out to Costco I could not find them anywhere. I also brought the breaded mushrooms. There is a pizza place here that sells the breaded mushrooms and they are to die for.

Last night they gave me a plate full of rice, mixed vegetables and carrots. It was good just way too much. They also had tomato soup. I don't know how they are making their tomato soup but it is not good like used to be.
I found it at my local grocery store. I think it is Birdseye brand. They also had breaded cauliflower; but I am not a fan of cauliflower.

I never look at the frozen food veggies. I do not know what possessed me to do so, yesterday.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a busy and windy frigid day.Had to go get my turkeys today and finish up my groceries for Thanksgiving,so by the time we got home,lunch was late.I had a small bowl of chili for dinner and he had a ham and cheese sandwich.Brrr!It is cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.