What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to the IGA to shop for lunch meat, cheese, yogurt, etc. Stroll by the meat cabinet / counter. They don't "do" fish, just an occasional something. A package of tuna steak pieces caught my eye. Looked good, even with the big "Previously Frozen" sticker. So in the late afternoon I mixed up a marinade of soy sauce, fresh squeezed lime juice, olive oil. Wedged the tuna pieces into a bowl, poured on marinade, refrigerated. A couple of times I would turn them over. Broiled in oven after stabbing onto bamboo skewers. Served with rice and a green bean / yellow bean / tiny carrots frozen medley.

Dinner_Tuna Steak Tidbits_2022-05_plated.jpg

Nice. Guess I'm really on a skewer kick lately - first shrimp with pineapple, chicken -
once with pineapple then again with whole mushrooms, now tuna on its own.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A frozen meal called "Backyard Barbecue." A pork patty, shaped like a McRib, in barbecue sauce (not that bad, actually), corn and mashed potatoes. I THINK that dinner will be chicken pot pie. I feel a bit pot pie-ish, but that could change.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi The Spicy Hot Dog That Will Ruin You for All Others You can use vegetarian hot dogs or sausage or something instead
Thanks. I'll have to try crushing Takis up on a veggie dog. I've heard of that Chili Crisp in a jar and have always wanted to try it.

We had pancakes for dinner, with Chocolate Chips with that new fruit sweetener Allulose in them. They were so gross! I usually don't mind those natural fake sugars, but that was terrible and bitter. 1TB Butter, 2TB Maple Syrup, 1TB Cinnamon Honey, 1/4 Cup Walnuts, Sliced Almonds, Pecans.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Friday I had tomato soup, marinated vegetables and fries. They had cantaloupe on the menu but they did not have any. They also do no have a lot of things they have listed on their menus.

Last night I had mushroom soup, mac salad, carrot and raisin salad and strawberries and ice cream for desert.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can make chili crisp at home. There are tons of recipes online and they're all a little different based on preference.

If you prefer to buy a jar, here's a review of some different brands: The 9 Best Crunchy Chile Sauces You Can Buy Online

Stevia is a gross sweetener :barfgreen: Way too chemically super sweet tasting.

The no-boil baked pasta tonight. The supermarket had no rotisserie chicken so I got those Perdue Short Cut grilled chicken strip things. The supermarket was pretty bad today. I saw expired milk (only by a day but still :barfgreen:), shriveled dried out asparagus (for $3.99 a lb), a few dried out ears of corn that were clearly picked over by other customers because the husks were pulled back and half the silk was removed :cringe: I so can't wait for the local farmer's market to open in a few weeks. There's one the next town over that starts next Saturday. Not sure yet if I want to trek there after work.

The building that previously housed the independent grocery store is being developed. I got the notice to attend a virtual community meeting to discuss plans for the building, solicit feedback on what the community wants in the retail / community spaces, etc. Um put in a locally owned grocery store that features locally made and grown items? Maybe a bakery or cafe? There are none in the area and with all the new businesses being built, having lunch options and the like would be good for everyone.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"The building that previously housed the independent grocery store is being developed. I got the notice to attend a virtual community meeting to discuss plans for the building, solicit feedback on what the community wants in the retail / community spaces, etc. Um put in a locally owned grocery store that features locally made and grown items? Maybe a bakery or cafe? There are none in the area and with all the new businesses being built, having lunch options and the like would be good for everyone. "

I'm with you. There used to be a quite small A&P in town when we moved here 20 years ago. Some people in town didn't drive, would walk there. Store closed. Nearest store was then more than 10 miles away. It took a looong time for the IGA to get permission to open in the same space.

Their meat is excellent, produce so-so. No bakery. Prices are, naturally, higher than the big supermarkets. But the convenience is superb! People from across the Delaware River shop here - it's closer for them than finding a grocery store in Pennsylvania. And the staff are very friendly, the store hires high school kids for stocking, working the registers, etc. It's a good thing for everybody.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
On Friday I had tomato soup, marinated vegetables and fries. They had cantaloupe on the menu but they did not have any. They also do no have a lot of things they have listed on their menus.

Last night I had mushroom soup, mac salad, carrot and raisin salad and strawberries and ice cream for desert.
I do not know if this is true, but this is what I was told, at the Food Committee meeting. Our kitchen is really stressed out by the distributors. If they were ordering XXX of XXXX-- they would either get half an order, or none of it at all. And they are not ordering fruit by the # of pieces, they are ordering by the case. If you get smaller fruit, you get more.. larger fruit is less...

Also, the prices have increased outrageously!!

As an example: Last year, they were selling grilled burgers, cheeseburgers, chicken burgers, Impossible burgers; in the building's store, for $3.75. This year it is up to $5.00......

Who knows what to believe with all these shortages.. At least that is what we were told.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And I forgot to buy ricotta cheese for the baked pasta dish :doh: It was on my grocery list too :doh: I'm not going back to the supermarket so the dish will just have one less cheese in it. It has mozzarella balls and grated Parmesan cheese in it which is plenty cheese-y enough. I have a partial bag of shredded Mexican cheese to add to it too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
quesadillas. With real cheese. It was momentous.
Yum! How did J like the real legit dairy cheese?

tomato soup, marinated vegetables and fries.
Last night I had mushroom soup, mac salad
Those are some cool combos. I would like to try a cup of soup with fries or mac salad!

If you prefer to buy a jar, here's a review of some different brands
Thanks. I'm gonna buy the first jar, with the peanuts in it. Yum!

Stevia is a gross sweetener :barfgreen: Way too chemically super sweet tasting.
I don't mind Stevia or Erythritol, but Allulose is disgusting!!!!

I forgot to buy ricotta cheese for the baked pasta dish
Do you have any cottage cheese? It's very similar.

We are having a gluten free Freschetta frozen Pizza tonight. It's just cheese, so we are gonna add more stuff to it. Definitely pineapple, mushroom, and I want to try corn on it! I saw a video on Facebook with corn on the pizza. Kinda sounds weird, but I'll try it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.