What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on a mission to use my instant pot more, and some recipes are calling for me to use a pressure safe ramekin or soufflé pan. I own some ramekins, but how do I know if they're pressure safe? Or do you have to go out and buy specific instant pot brand inserts? Thanks!
I bought some Corningware ramekins after they put "instant pot safe!" on the package, lol. But this says that any oven-safe ramekin should be fine: Can You Use Ramekins In An Instant Pot? – My Budget Recipes
What do you guys put on your pierogies?
Oh, anything really. I used to sauté them with onions, garlic, and salsa. . .haven't done that in a while. Sour cream is good. I usually add a little hot sauce for zing. Cheese sauce. Tomato sauce. They can be baked instead of boiled; this makes them crispy and they can be eaten plain or with a dip. Try a few things, experiment a little.

To start off with something safe, you really can't go wrong with sauteed onions and butter (provided you like sauteed onions of course).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lunch was a chicken breast and brown rice with mushroom gravy, and green beans. Not sure about supper. I"ll see what looks good then. LOL, one nice thing about MOST meals being prepared is that I don't have to make an early decision! Don't want this? Grab that, instead!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thai basil chicken with spinach and rice. J looooved this. It has fish sauce in it, and she doesn't seem to be having a reaction so idk what happened when I had given her the salmon. But this mama would be so happy to have fish again.

Edit: I usually just put butter on pierogi, but you can also have them with onions and/or sour cream.
I generally have pierogi with some sour cream, or butter and cooked onions. Sometimes I put some crumbled bacon on them, too (frying bacon is too much work, so I use packaged crumbled bacon).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just sauté them with onions and peppers in a wee bit of butter. I've done them in the NFG with good results, too.

We're having chicken corn soup tonight with that leftover chicken from Sunday. With either cornbread, cathead biscuits, or popovers....haven't decided which yet. Or maybe some strawberry muffins; they sound really good with the soup.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGosh! Pierogi... The traditional way is to sauté them with some almost cartelized onion!! and to dip them in sour cream.. Polish Cooking is heavy on sour cream, onions....

I boil them first, then put them in the frying pan to brown a bit on both sides..

You can also just serve them with melted butter... Yummy!!

My aunt used to ground up some chuck roast, which made the base for beet soup. She stuffed the Pierogi with the meat, and cooked them in the beet soup... talk about heaven..
Very time intensive to do.. one day for the soup, the next for the pierogi...

Unfortunately, when she passed, all her recipes were trashed, by her son... sigh..

Tonight: leftover chicken, gravy, and something... not sure what...

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always had problems browning pierogi in the pan with the onions and butter. They kept sticking and the dough came apart when trying to free them.

The Polish restaurant near me told me their cooking "secret:" Do the browning in some oil first, then put the pierogi in the pan with the butter and caramelized onions and toss to cover them. Then, serve them. It definitely does make more-appetizing, nicely-browned, intact pierogi, but that's a lot of work. I generally just fry them and deal with the sticking the best I can. My kitchen definitely doesn't qualify for three stars in the Michelin Guide.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I always had problems browning pierogi in the pan with the onions and butter. They kept sticking and the dough came apart when trying to free them.

The Polish restaurant near me told me their cooking "secret:" Do the browning in some oil first, then put the pierogi in the pan with the butter and caramelized onions and toss to cover them. Then, serve them. It definitely does make more-appetizing, nicely-browned, intact pierogi, but that's a lot of work. I generally just fry them and deal with the sticking the best I can. My kitchen definitely doesn't qualify for three stars in the Michelin Guide.
I guess I am strange. I never had a problem with them sticking. I do boil them first in water. As they are boiling. Sauté some onions. When they are cooked , it is just a few minutes in the frying pan.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rice, shrimp, and a rather dreadful frozen Asian vegetable medley. Why did I try it? The mixed vegetables - you know, corn, carrots, green beans, lima beans etc is good. This, with sugar snap peas, carrots, broccoli, and (supposedly) water chestnuts seemed like it would be an option for hurried meals. It's not. Sugar snap peas were so-so, carrots were worse, broccoli was disintegrating with the florets falling off the stalks. And if you want to call the one slice of water chestnut I found in my dish, the same for Himself, to be worth listing on the package - well, I beg to disagree. In future I will continue to prepare and use my usual - choose several - fresh mushrooms, onions, celery, red pepper, asparagus, broccoli, bok choi, nappa cabbage etc when preparing a stir fry.

Oh well, cannot know until you try.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so idk what happened when I had given her the salmon
Is it possible to have an allergy to just salmon and not any other fish?

anything really. I used to sauté them with onions, garlic, and salsa. . .haven't done that in a while. Sour cream is good. I usually add a little hot sauce for zing. Cheese sauce. Tomato sauce. They can be baked instead of boiled; this makes them crispy
Sounds fabulous.

Lunch: Veggie Sammich-- Dad's Homemade Bread toasted, 2TB Mayo, Smidgeon spoon Carolina Reaper superhot powder, Lettuce, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, Onion, Bell Pepper, 2TB Sliced Almonds, 1 Slice Muenster Cheese. The Almonds were yummy on there!

Dinner: Veggie Sammich-- Dad's Homemade Bread toasted, 2TB Mayo, Smidgeon spoon Carolina Reaper superhot powder, Australian Vegemite, Lettuce, Celery, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, Onion, Bell Pepper, Cucumber, 1 Slice Muenster Cheese. The Vegemite was really good!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to have an allergy to just salmon and not any other fish?
Yes, from what I understand if you're allergic to one kind of fish, there's a 50% chance you'll be allergic to another, but the blood test covered cod, salmon, and tuna proteins and came back negative for all. And the fish sauce is anchovy.

We're going to try salmon again within the next week or so. I put a recipe on my to cook list, so we'll see what happens. If she has another reaction then I'd have to assume the blood test wasn't accurate even though negatives are supposed to be pretty spot on (though not 100%).

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wind is howling from the north and temps dropping al day.I had a craving for my oriental soup,so I made a big pot.Added some sliced fresh mushrooms and tried some lemon grass paste in a tube.Oh my...divine!Heated up some meatloaf with a little bbq sauce and had that open face on toast.Comfort food!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wind is howling from the north and temps dropping al day.I had a craving for my oriental soup,so I made a big pot.Added some sliced fresh mushrooms and tried some lemon grass paste in a tube.Oh my...divine!Heated up some meatloaf with a little bbq sauce and had that open face on toast.Comfort food!
Sounds delicious on a frigid day.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH reheated his leftover Chinese food from the weekend. I had falafel with broccoli, sliced carrots and cauliflower. Honeycrisp apples for dessert. I got DH hooked on TJ's dark chocolate peanut butter cups but told him to only eat one. And I had one of their dark chocolate almond butter cups.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Pierogies - Brown slices of kielbasa in the frying pan along with the onions. Add the pierogies to brown.

We had the rest of the chicken corn soup tonight. I made Famous Dept blueberry muffins, recipe from King Arthur.

Status
Not open for further replies.