What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beef stew. Cubed a nice piece of round, tossed with flour. Set aside. Rendered two strips of bacon cut in pieces. Set bacon aside and added a little oil to the bacon fat. Browned beef cubes and set aside. Added chunks of carrot, onion cut in half top to bottom, then quartered the halves. Returned beef cubes. Took a half cup of red vermouth, added a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree, mixed well, Poured over meat and vegetables. Decided it needed a little more liquid so added a half cup of water. Tossed in a bay leaf broken in half, fresh ground pepper, some salt - you know, the usual suspects.

Put the lid on, turned down heat and went away for a couple of hours.

Came back, boiled some potatoes and put through Foley food mill when done. Broccoli microwave steamed.

Gravy nice and thick and tasty, sopped up mashed potatoes quite well. Topped with the reserved crispy bacon.

Left over cooked stew meat and unmashed potatoes (I cooked extra) have hash in their future.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beef stew. Cubed a nice piece of round, tossed with flour. Set aside. Rendered two strips of bacon cut in pieces. Set bacon aside and added a little oil to the bacon fat. Browned beef cubes and set aside. Added chunks of carrot, onion cut in half top to bottom, then quartered the halves. Returned beef cubes. Took a half cup of red vermouth, added a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree, mixed well, Poured over meat and vegetables. Decided it needed a little more liquid so added a half cup of water. Tossed in a bay leaf broken in half, fresh ground pepper, some salt - you know, the usual suspects.

Put the lid on, turned down heat and went away for a couple of hours.

Came back, boiled some potatoes and put through Foley food mill when done. Broccoli microwave steamed.

Gravy nice and thick and tasty, sopped up mashed potatoes quite well. Topped with the reserved crispy bacon.

Left over cooked stew meat and unmashed potatoes (I cooked extra) have hash in their future.
Guess who's Coming for dinner.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is that?
Carrots, green beans, zucchini, and yellow squash mix. I don't know why it's called Capri :dunno:.

I had canned chili with cheese crackers. I got all the ingredients to make 40-clove-of-garlic chicken but I forgot about that :rolleyes2:. Trying to decide if I'll still make the chicken tonight and have leftovers tomorrow, or make it tomorrow night.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is that?
A Capri Blend is large pieces of sliced carrots, yellow squash, quartered zuccini and cut green beans. It is really good. You can buy it in the freezer section and stir fry it.

What is veggie stew? I've never tried vegetarian breaded fish. Is it like fish sticks? I loved fish sticks when I was a kid but I don't think I could eat a veggy version of fish. Ugh!

For dinner last night I had a grilled cheese and some Pacific tomato soup.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good news, bad news! Trader Joe's has been out of their yummy Organic Lentil Vegetable soup, that is until yesterday. They got it back in BUT it's from a different vendor, different packaging and size too. It was semi-okay but unfortunately not as good as the original one.

I think I'm going to make a bowl tonight with brown rice, stewed tomatoes, green onions, broccoli, black beans and avocado. We're almost out of honeycrisp apples for dessert. :cringe:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
40-clove-of-garlic chicken
That's a whole lotta garlic! 😲 The most I ever used was 8 for garlic noodles.

What is veggie stew? I've never tried vegetarian breaded fish. Is it like fish sticks?
It's like vegetarian soup, but thicker, with less broth....The vegetarian breaded fish is awesome! Yes, it's kinda like fish sticks, but wider. It tastes just like fish. It's good with tartar sauce, mayo, or cocktail sauce.

Lunch: Snack Plate
Dinner: Veggie Quiche with 1/4 cup Hunt's Ketchup on it

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a whole lotta garlic! 😲 The most I ever used was 8 for garlic noodles.
They say it's not terribly garlicky. I suppose the cream sauce might tame it down a bit, plus cooked garlic is always mellower. Could probably be done with tofu or chicken substitute. Anyway, I'm thankful for the bags of pre-peeled garlic you can buy nowadays, lol.
Instant Pot 40 Cloves Of Garlic Chicken - 4 Sons 'R' Us

BUT I ended up falling asleep on the couch after work and didn't have time to make it again, so I had another can of chili with cheese crackers (Aldi brand "goldfish", which are turtles :D). I have Monday off so I should get some time this weekend, I think!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
still up in the air :lol:gf wants pho cause its hot and soupy i feel like fried rice of some sort so probably will be viet food:lol:
I JUST read an article where some woman on the internet was raising a stink about a restaurant sending her uncooked beef in her pho. She has apparently not had any experience with viet food. OH...and the broth was way too hot! Well, how else is it going to cook the beef, woman? I am no connoisseur of Vietnamese food, but I know that much!

I had chicken breast with mushroom gravy, carrots, peppers, broccoli and red potatoes for lunch. Not sure what supper will be. I'll have to see what looks good at the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Last night, Rick went to the Texas Roadhouse for take-out. He had ribs and I enjoyed a steak. Yum!

Tonight he will be making his family-famous burgers on the grill. I'm doing French fries in the NFG. Yum again! (Although I have a feeling that, with this gusty wind, we'll be doing the burgers in the NFG as well.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I JUST read an article where some woman on the internet was raising a stink about a restaurant sending her uncooked beef in her pho. She has apparently not had any experience with viet food. OH...and the broth was way too hot! Well, how else is it going to cook the beef, woman? I am no connoisseur of Vietnamese food, but I know that much!

Guess the same woman would raise a similar stink at a hot pot restaurant where you are given a plate of the raw meat of choice and you cook the meat yourself in the bubbling pot of broth right on the table :rolleyes:

A bowl of pho sounds right for a cold day like today.

I'm not sure about dinner. Maybe another one of those dan dan noodles from the subscription. Or frozen pizza.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH has a taste for Chinese tonight so I said if he doesn't mind picking it up count me in. He's having Mongolian Beef and I decided on Vegetable Egg Foo Young since I haven't ordered that in ages. Fortune cookies for dessert. 🥠

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aldi brand "goldfish", which are turtles :D
Target brand goldfish crackers are penguins. They weren't as good as the Goldfish flavor blasted.

Vegetable Egg Foo Young
What is that? An omelet? Never had it.

Lunch: Snack plate, think this is my last one, tired of them...
Dinner: Leftover Veggie Quiche with 1/4 cup Hunt's Ketchup, salt, black pepper, Carolina Reaper superhot powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.