What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They make a bacon flavoring that is supposed to be VERY good, along with several others. They also make vegan beef, pork, and chicken flavored meat powders
Those sound good! What food couldn't benefit from a nice dusting of bacon-flavored powder? Lol. I think I'd like the chicken-flavored powder on mashed potatoes too.
I thought they were the same thing?
Different brands.

I had a Qdoba burrito bowl with Impossible meat-like substance, and it wasn't bad. It had the texture of whatever it is that Taco Bell puts in their beef tacos, the flavor was decent though. I still haven't tried the Impossible Whopper.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Most of them aren't good either and do not taste like meat or have the texture of it. Impossible Burger and Beyond Burgers especially.
:yeah: I've never eaten either one because I never had a taster for it. I've also heard they're very high in sodium.

I'm making pasta tonight, I like the fusilli gluten free noodles from Trader Joe's. DH picked up garlic bread to go with it. I could make garlic bread myself but just not in the mood.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I stopped eating meat because I think it is cruel to slaughter animals for food.
Same here. Though it took me much longer than you to finally remove meat from my diet.

I think the fake chicken products are pretty good and are much closer than anything pretending to be beef.
I agree that the faux chicken products are the best. The faux beef always has a strange texture and leaves an aftertaste to me. I've never tried any of the other faux meats, like bacon or fish, etc.

I also don't eat the faux chicken, or any other processed vegetarian/vegan products too often, because I feel that like other processed foods, with convenience comes less healthy ingredients, like high amounts of sodium.

Last night I make a big batch of Lentil soup. So will be having that again tonight, then freezing the rest for future meals.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't eat a meat like powder, just to mimic the flavor of meat.
I wouldn't either. I like most fake meat but I would not like meat like powder on my food.

I also don't eat the faux chicken, or any other processed vegetarian/vegan products too often, because I feel that like other processed foods, with convenience comes less healthy ingredients, like high amounts of sodium.
I agree. I don't eat faux meat that often. I like a lot of Amy's products (soup, etc) because they are good and seem to be heathly. They do use a lot of salt.
All they had for me for dinner tonight was potato chips. I stayed in my room and had a veggy hotdog and some beans.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried "mock duck" once. It was just seitan and didn't have the texture or taste of duck. It was more like bland firm tofu. It wasn't bad really, just kind of salty.

I added a bit too much salt to the eggplant:doh: It's not inedible but it'll take me awhile to get through the dish. I guess I was supposed to rinse off the extra salt before cooking. The recipe I used suggested to salt the eggplant to release extra moisture but did not say to rinse the salt off before cooking.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got this instant pot recipe book that does copycat restaurant recipes, and I tried the Beijing beef from Panda Express recipe. I've never had it before so I don't know how well it copycats, but it tasted pretty good.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried any of the other faux meats, like bacon or fish, etc.
I really like the vegetarian breaded fish and bacon.

I'm boring this week, same thing again:

Lunch: Snack Plate
Dinner: Leftover Veggie Stew with a piece of cornbread crumbled in it, chickpeas, salt, pepper, carolina reaper superhot powder. Tasted like corn oatmeal. I wonder if they make such a thing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't eat a meat like powder, just to mimic the flavor of meat.
I think I'd like the chicken-flavored powder on mashed potatoes too.
I did not explain myself well. You don't eat the power. You add water and I THINK oil to it, and form it into patties and then cook it. I was thinking that if it tastes decent, it would be a good shelf-stable item for hurricane season if the power was lost for several days. I have a good two-burner camp stove and several cans of propane.

Tonight was Santa Fe black beans and rice for lunch, and supper will be a chicken fajita bowl. Dunno why they call it that, it is NOTHING like a fajita at all. There is no flour taco, and the chicken and veggies are covered in some sort of runny sauce that is VERY indifferent. However, it has been in my freezer for a month now (after I ate the first one), and I refuse to throw food away!!! I'll grit my teeth and eat the darned thing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not explain myself well. You don't eat the power. You add water and I THINK oil to it, and form it into patties and then cook it.
They have both. There's chicken-flavored seasoning powder (and beef, etc. plus regular seasonings like garlic and ranch) AND a mix to make patties and meatballs and such.
All Products

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We were supposed to have chicken on Sunday, but neither Rick nor I was really all that hungry and just had toasted cheese sandwiches. So we had the chicken last night.

While the baked potatoes were in the NFG, I split the breast in half lengthwise and sprinkled it with Special Shit. When the potatoes were almost done, I threw the chicken breast halves into the NFG and air-crisped them. I know Dear Richard isn't fond of chicken, so I brushed a bit of Ranch dressing on the halves at the end (he loves Ranch). Another two minutes per side with the dressing. He really liked it and I have to say that it wasn't bad at all. It would have made a nice chicken sandwich, had we had bread. Or lettuce. Or tomatoes. (I really need to grab some groceries!) We each had an apple dumpling for dessert.

I have no idea about tonight.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of us were very hungry last night so we had toasted cheese sandwiches with a couple of slices of bacon added at the end. Himself had the last apple cobbler for dessert, with vanilla ice cream. That man always has room for dessert!

Tonight I'm thinking leftover meatloaf, double baked potato, and Brussels sprouts. Took a package of pitted sour cherries from the freezer to thaw, so I can bake cobblers this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.