What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Idk how tofu always looks so nice in pictures, because it always falls apart for me.
I always get Extra Firm and it never falls apart. I can get 5 servings out of one block! I slice it in 5, then dice it up in separate piles.

Lunch: Snack Plate-- I'm getting better at it. Saltine Crackers, Canned Chickpeas, Walnuts, White & Orange Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Sliced Blue Cheese, Raspberry Preserves, Raw Honey, Cinnamon Honey, Butter, Habanero Hot Sauce.
I like the honey and preserves on the cheese, but it kinda drowns out the extra sharp taste.

Dinner: Leftover Veggie Stew with Saltine Crackers, Canned Chickpeas, Habanero Hot Sauce, Salt, Black Pepper.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Himself had two hot dogs on buns, with mustard. Home fried potatoes and reheated braised cabbage - this time with a slice of bacon (which could have been a little more crispy / browned) broken into piece. I skipped the hot dogs.

Apple cobbler and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had meatload and mashed potatoes for lunch, and will probably have pot roast for supper.

All you vegans...Have any of you tried the Deliciou foods? They make a bacon flavoring that is supposed to be VERY good, along with several others. They also make vegan beef, pork, and chicken flavored meat powders, oddly enough. I kinda want to try them, as, being powdered, they would keep well in an airtight container in the pantry. That could be VERY handy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, something with a chicken breast. (Split between Rick and me.)

I still have some Grannies in the basement. Thinking of an apple crisp to get them used.

Yesterday, I was in the freezer, looking for whatever I could find for dinner today. Found a bowl of cut-out cookies tucked under one of the racks. Well, I want to get these cookies eaten, so I brought the container out from under the rack. Rick went down last night for cookies, came back up, and said, "Dear? The cookies are breeding!" :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All you vegans...Have any of you tried the Deliciou foods? They make a bacon flavoring that is supposed to be VERY good, along with several others. They also make vegan beef, pork, and chicken flavored meat powders, oddly enough. I kinda want to try them, as, being powdered, they would keep well in an airtight container in the pantry. That could be VERY handy!
I'm vegetarian, not vegan, but for me my desire to have vegan versions of meat is minimal. For example, I didn't like the Beyond Meat burgers, as they were too much like the real thing. I do eat the Gardein crispy tenders, and the stuffed turk'y, on occasion, but those are pretty much it for me.

I think it might depend on the reason someone became vegetarian/vegan. If it was for health reasons, and they miss meat, then faux meats and flavouring would be great. But for me I never really liked meat, so don't miss it, or desire it. Never heard of Deliciou foods, btw.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been an off and on vegetarian most of my adult life. I have never tried the Beyond Meat. The thing that has always gotten me off of the vegetarian thing has been a craving for a cheeseburger. If it does taste like meat, it might keep me on the vegetarian diet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm vegetarian, not vegan, but for me my desire to have vegan versions of meat is minimal. For example, I didn't like the Beyond Meat burgers, as they were too much like the real thing. I do eat the Gardein crispy tenders, and the stuffed turk'y, on occasion, but those are pretty much it for me.
I think it might depend on the reason someone became vegetarian/vegan. If it was for health reasons, and they miss meat, then faux meats and flavouring would be great. But for me I never really liked meat, so don't miss it, or desire it. Never heard of Deliciou foods, btw.
That pretty much sums up my taste and reason for eating a vegetarian diet too. :agree: However, I do use some Upton products in my pasta casserole and DH likes their chorizo in chili. I also like to support them because they're a local Chicago company.😉
I'm not familiar with Deliciou food products either but DH might like to try them. I'll have to ask my oldest who is vegan about it. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thanks for the tip! 👍

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have been an off and on vegetarian most of my adult life. I have never tried the Beyond Meat. The thing that has always gotten me off of the vegetarian thing has been a craving for a cheeseburger. If it does taste like meat, it might keep me on the vegetarian diet.
It's been 13+ years since I last had a beef burger, so I probably don't remember exactly what they're like, but the Beyond Meat burger, as well as the Impossible Burger, was created to mimic meat burgers, so you should give one of them a try.

This might help you decide which one to try first. Even if you don't watch the videos, there's lots of comments to read.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I wonder a lot if I'm doing the right thing or if she'll resent me for putting pictures on the internet. I like being able to share her with my family and friends via Facebook, especially those who live farther away and we don't see.
I have two small great-nephews. One was born right before Covid and one during. Instagram and Facebook are the only way I saw them for a very long time. I finally met the youngest at his one-year birthday party in August and the older one I finally saw at Thanksgiving after over a year and a half. Both of their moms posted plenty of pics and have the settings as private. If you are feeling iffy you can always set your FB settings so not as many can see the pictures.

I guess I should be on topic. :lol: I cooked a lot on Thursday and Friday. Egg squares for the freezer for quick breakfasts, a white bean, kale and harissa soup, sweet potato ravioli with a brown butter and sage sauce for dinner on Thursday night. Friday was a huge pot of Portuguese kale soup and shrimp scampi over rice in the Instant Pot for dinner. Yesterday I refused to cook and we picked up Thai food. :lol: I've already made a huge breakfast of egg whites, turkey sausage and tater tots this morning and my husband is making pizza later today.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might depend on the reason someone became vegetarian/vegan. If it was for health reasons, and they miss meat, then faux meats and flavouring would be great. But for me I never really iked meat, so don't miss it, or desire it. Never heard of Deliciou foods, btw.
I've been vegan/vegetarian ever since I was 9 years old. I do not do it for health reasons. I stopped eating meat because I think it is cruel to slaughter animals for food. I remember what meat taste like and I like the faux meats. I like the taste and I need the protein. I don't care for the veggy burgers, but I like the sausage, hot dogs and chicken products.

Tonight I didn't want what they had on the menu so I microwaved a box of Chao vegan creamey Mac'n Cheese. I thought it was very good. I'm trying to cut back on cholesterol.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
meat powders
I wouldn't eat a meat like powder, just to mimic the flavor of meat. I like the vegetarian tenders because I can put sauce on them.

Beyond Meat burger, as well as the Impossible Burger
I thought they were the same thing?

I stopped eating meat because I think it is cruel to slaughter animals for food.
Same here.

Lunch: Snack Plate
Dinner: Leftover Veggie Stew, added Habanero Hot Sauce, Black Pepper, Salt, Piece of crumbled up Cornbread. I bet I would like a corn porridge, if there is such a thing.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The current podcast of Milk Street Radio has a segment on the Impossible Burger and the growing plant based "meat" industry. ‎Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Radio: Fungus Burgers, Anyone? The Crazy World of Future Foods on Apple Podcasts The products are highly processed (gums, thickeners, flavors, a soybean derived substance that mimics blood, etc) and no better for you or the environment than normal meat.

Leftover pasta and soup for dinner.
No, they aren't. Most of them aren't good either and do not taste like meat or have the texture of it. Impossible Burger and Beyond Burgers especially. I've tried both and NO thank you. I'd take a black bean burger over either of them any day. I think the fake chicken products are pretty good and are much closer than anything pretending to be beef.

Has anyone else noticed how Dunkin has very quietly removed the Beyond sausage from their menu? It arrived with great fanfare but now it's gone. No longer any mention of it on the website. :rolleyes2:

I don't know what I'll have for dinner. Some chicken and a veggie maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.