What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had some kimchi with it. This kind. It's very good and has a nice spiciness to it. They make really good sauerkraut too.
Never heard of kimchi. However, I don't like sauerkraut. Is it similar?

rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama --The celery definitely tasted better sliced rather than chunks, but you have to slice it really thin or it's hard to chew through the sammich. I love the texture! It tastes almost meaty, like tuna. I remember making a vegetarian mock tuna with celery a long time ago where they had me shave it with a peeler. That was really good, I need to find that recipe
I just bought some celery today, so must remember to add some to my sandwiches. Might even make some chickpea salad (aka mock tuna) sandwiches, now that you've put the idea in my head. :yummy:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of kimchi. However, I don't like sauerkraut. Is it similar?
Yes and no. Similar in that it's fermented cabbage (but Napa cabbage, not head cabbage like sauerkraut). But it doesn't taste at all similar. It's usually made with red pepper so it's most often spicy, also has a lot of garlic and sometimes ginger. It's a strong flavor that not everybody likes. And every recipe is different so you never know exactly what it will taste like until you try it.

But there's also a big difference between properly fermented sauerkraut and the cheap vinegared kind.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight was a toasted veggie sandwich, with tomato, mixed lettuce greens and mayo. Couple clementines for dessert.

But there's also a big difference between properly fermented sauerkraut and the cheap vinegared kind.
I've only ever had canned sauerkraut, so that's probably the cheapest, lowest quality you can get. Maybe I should look into trying it again, but a properly fermented one.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've been on the go all day so too late for me to start cooking but I don't mind since I'll heat up some garden vegetable soup with a roll on the side. Dark chocolate almond butter cups and red seedless grapes for dessert. DH is making a sandwich from the leftover roast I made last week with potatoes.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got some beautiful eggplant from the farmers market so today I made a big pan of eggplant parmesan...roasted the eggplant instead of breading and frying,and layered with sauce and cheese.To die for!Garlic bread and salad for me.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Schnitzel. Boneless thin sliced pork cutlet pounded even thinner. Flour, beaten egg, bread crumbs. Browned in olive oil, add some broth and lid quickly slammed on to cover pan. Heat turned down to a simmer. White rice. Steamed Brussels sprouts - cut in half, steamer basket in pot with some water. Lid on, heat down. All ready simultaneously and all good, delicious even.

Dessert was the last of the Hungarian mohn kuchen a friend shared with me. Sad that it is now all finished. Need to see about getting the recipe.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
buried it in the back yard
Why did they have to bury it? 😲

Tonight was a toasted veggie sandwich
Did you put celery on it?

Lunch: Veggie Sammich-- Dad's homemade bread toasted, 2TB Mayo, 1Tsp Hot Mama's Fiery Habanero Hot Sauce, Lettuce, Tomato, Celery, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, Walnuts. Sooooo good with the celery!

Dinner: Veggie Quiche. It had eggs, brown rice, peas, carrots, onions, bell pepper, ricotta, shredded cheese, garlic parsley salt, salsa. I put 3TB Ketchup and 1Tsp Hot Mama's Fiery Habanero Hot Sauce on top.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why did they have to bury it?

Lunch: Veggie Sammich-- Dad's homemade bread toasted, 2TB Mayo, 1Tsp Hot Mama's Fiery Habanero Hot Sauce, Lettuce, Tomato, Celery, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, Walnuts. Sooooo good with the celery!

Dinner: Veggie Quiche. It had eggs, brown rice, peas, carrots, onions, bell pepper, ricotta, shredded cheese, garlic parsley salt, salsa. I put 3TB Ketchup and 1Tsp Hot Mama's Fiery Habanero Hot Sauce on top.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do label things, but sometimes the labels come off and then we have..... SURPRISE! :lol:
That's why I switched to a Sharpie freezer marker! It does NOT come off! No more mystery meat!

Hence, buried in the back yard in a sealed stoneware crock! It makes a huge difference!

Why did they have to bury it? 😲
See Kat0121 Kat0121 's link! I have had homemade kimchi that was not buried, and did not care for it nearly as much. It was...ok.

SO...last night, I had the pot pies...actually, gravy and sausage pot pies, with the crusts being the "biscuits." I think tonight, I'll do a Marie Callender's chicken pot pie. Somewhat absurdly, I actually prefer the cheap Banquet ones.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's why I switched to a Sharpie freezer marker! It does NOT come off! No more mystery meat!

Hence, buried in the back yard in a sealed stoneware crock! It makes a huge difference!

See Kat0121 Kat0121 's link! I have had homemade kimchi that was not buried, and did not care for it nearly as much. It was...ok.

SO...last night, I had the pot pies...actually, gravy and sausage pot pies, with the crusts being the "biscuits." I think tonight, I'll do a Marie Callender's chicken pot pie. Somewhat absurdly, I actually prefer the cheap Banquet ones.
I prefer the Banquet ones too

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I keep saying that I need to get a Sharpie. But when I get to the store, I forget all about it. It would be better than labels that don't stay on the container.

One of my GF's GF was Korean. I visited with them one day and asked, "What in God's name is that smell?" Turns out her mom was visiting and she was making kimchi. I don't know what was in it, but the smell stank to high heaven. I have no idea what it tasted like. I don't know if it was buried.

If you have to use store-bought sauerkraut, buy the stuff in a bag. It seems to taste better. For years, a local town's Lion Club made money by selling sauerkraut during the holidays and it was pretty good stuff. I'd buy several quart bags of it and throw it in the freezer. Now, my BIL makes his own sauerkraut and he always makes sure we get enough to see us through for most of the year. Best sauerkraut I've ever had. He has spoiled us.

I took a huge chicken breast out of the freezer last night to thaw in the fridge. I'm going to brine it for about two hours, then try the Chicken Shit seasoning on it before throwing it into the NFG. Baked potatoes and salad. Works for me.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="ruby
I just bought some celery today, so must remember to add some to my sandwiches. Might even make some chickpea salad (aka mock tuna) sandwiches, now that you've put the idea in my head. :yummy:
[/QUOTE]
How do you make (mock tuna)?

[QUOTE="Mamanyt1953, post: 5458423, member: 95067"
I think tonight, I'll do a Marie Callender's chicken pot pie. Somewhat absurdly, I actually prefer the cheap Banquet ones.
[/QUOTE]
The last 2 Marie Callender's pot pies I had gave me indigestion. I remember Banquet pot pies cost 39 cents when I was a kid. We ate them all the time.

I like sauerkraut on rye bread with melted swiss cheese and mayo. They say it is poor man's food and rich man's medicine because it helps to clean you out. I have IBS-D so I can't eat it too often. Never had kimchi but I don't think I would like it. I could not eat anything that was burried underground.

Last night they gave me a veggie burger and lettuce again for the 3rd night in a row. I can't take it anymore. I threw it in the trash and ate the rest of my egg rolls I had in the freezer. The freezer I have in my room is tiny and it does not work good so they said I could use the fridge in the activies room that's accross the way from me. However since I have Covid I cannot leave my room. I'm just going to have sneak out tonight and get some of my food that I can eat. I don't want to ever see another veggie burger. We are suppose to have a meeting next week about the food that they serve here. It will be just 5 of us there. The manager, the guy in charge of the kitchen and 3 residents. I won't be nervous about speaking up with only 5 people there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never had kimchi but I don't think I would like it. I could not eat anything that was burried underground.

A container of kimchi is placed in the ground. It's not the fermented cabbage sitting directly in contact with soil and who knows what else.

Clam bakes are done by digging a hole in the ground, building a fire, placing the food items over the fire, covering it up with seaweed or other material, the ground is piled back over the pit and it just cooks. This is usually done on a sandy beach so it's fairly easy to shovel the sand off and remove the cooked food.

I mean, technically carrots and potatoes are buried underground! It's a mental black,but I'm sure it's cleaned well.
:yeah: Root vegetables are grown in the ground. Farmer's markets often have the root vegetables picked just hours before and still have the dirt clinging to them.

Dinner might be grilled cheese tonight.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you put celery on it?
Not this time, as the lettuce was falling out of the sandwich, so no room for anything else.

How do you make (mock tuna)?
There's several recipes online, but basically mashed chickpeas, with mayo and celery and/or onion

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Modern Korean kitchens have special kimchi coolers; I suppose backyard space for burying a crock is at a premium. It needs to be kept at a consistent cool temp (but not as cool as a fridge), and there weren't a lot of ways to do that before electricity, except keeping it underground. If it gets too warm it gets squishy, and the cabbage is supposed to stay crisp.

7.6 cu. ft. Kimchi & Specialty 2-Door Chest Refrigerator in Silver Refrigerators - RP22T31137Z/AA | Samsung US

Bubbie's sauerkraut is the best, imo. It's in a jar in the refrigerated deli section.
images (11).jpeg

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A603E09D-001F-4B71-80B0-C34043975BE0.png
All the sauerkraut talk had me try a new brand. Cleveland kitchen sauerkraut with caraway seeds. We had it with brats last night
And tonight I mixed it with spaezle and butter and served it with chicken. It’s very versatile and I’ll never buy the Nathan’s bagged sauerkraut again. Cleveland kitchen for the win in taste test.

Status
Not open for further replies.