What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
muffy muffy Does the facility have care meetings, where you can bring up issues? Although I know you've brought things up before, keep doing it. A chunk of cornbread for Thanksgiving is simply ridiculous. No mashed potatoes? No baked corn? Not even a bit of cranberry sauce? Can you transfer from that facility into another one? It might be time to start looking into it.

We're having hot sausage sandwiches with baked beans tonight for a quick Sat night supper.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen her stab a table with a knife, throw a glass at one of the servers and slap someone. One of these days she is going to really hurt someone.
Yikes, she needs to be in a dementia unit, not assisted living. I know that without family involvement, it's hard for the nurses to get her moved before a serious incident occurs, you shouldn't have to put up with it though.
I'm shocked that I hated all the frozen, shelf stable, and refrigerated Mac & Cheeses that I bought!
Of the frozen etc. options, I only like the Marie Callender Vermont mac & cheese. Panera is chalky and Hormel is just. . .no. This one has decent flavor and a good texture. But even this one is blandish and needs a pretty good dose of hot sauce :thumbsup: .
download.png

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes, she needs to be in a dementia unit, not assisted living. I know that without family involvement, it's hard for the nurses to get her moved before a serious incident occurs, you shouldn't have to put up with it though.

Of the frozen etc. options, I only like the Marie Callender Vermont mac & cheese. Panera is chalky and Hormel is just. . .no. This one has decent flavor and a good texture. But even this one is blandish and needs a pretty good dose of hot sauce :thumbsup: .
View attachment 402686

I've tried them all too and I agree about the MC. The richness is overwhelming. I can't eat more than a couple of bites and yes, it's bland. Hot sauce does help but by the time you added enough to cut the richness and add flavor, it's taken over the dish.

The king of frozen macs IMO is Stouffers. It MUST be baked in the oven though and not microwaved.

1638033869386.png

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy Does the facility have care meetings, where you can bring up issues? Although I know you've brought things up before, keep doing it. A chunk of cornbread for Thanksgiving is simply ridiculous. No mashed potatoes? No baked corn? Not even a bit of cranberndry sauce? Can you transfer from that facility into another one? It might be time to start looking into it.
They had a meeting last month but I had eye surgery that day and did not go. Someone asked the manager about the vegetarian and diabetic diets they had listed on their website. She said she was not aware of any diets on their website. She said they have a wide variety of food listed on their menus and we do not have to eat everything on our plates. That is a lie and it dose not make any sense. If I ask about the diets she will give me the same answer. Every one complains about the food but they will not speak up at a meeting. I don't plan on going because she will just blow me off. No one will back me.

For Thanksgiving they had spinach & strawberry salad, turkey, ham, bread stuffing, green bean casserole, cornbread and sweet potato pie. That may sound good but not for me. I don't like raw spinach or sweet potato pie which just leaves me with a tiny piece of cornbread. They served that same spinach salad again yesterday. It was wilted so I knew it was left over from Thursday.

As far as I know this place is the cheapest in the area and it had a good rating when I first came here. I really don't want to leave here because I've gotten attached to some of the people and other places could be a lot worse. I am however developing a bad attitude and I have a short fuse. This place is pissing me off more and more everyday.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had some white cheddar style daiya "mac and cheese "
The boxed kind or did you make it with just the cheese?

I only like the Marie Callender Vermont mac & cheese. Panera is chalky and Hormel is just. . .no.
I actually have Marie Callendar & Stouffers on my wishlist! I'll try them in the toaster oven though. Maybe I'll try Hormel again that way. Probably won't try Panera again though, that one was weird texture.

The king of frozen macs IMO is Stouffers. It MUST be baked in the oven though and not microwaved.
I never even thought to bake it! I'll try that next time. That could be the problem. Thanks!

you guys need to try that white cheddar mac an cheese from arbys
We used to get takeout all the time before the pandemic. Now we never do!

We both had a fall harvest salad with blackened tofu
No dressing on it?

Lunch: Veggie Sammich- Dad's Homemade Bread toasted, Mayo, Baron's Blazing Hot Sauce, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, Lettuce, Tomato, Trader Joe's Pistachio's, Target Penguin Crackers.

Dinner: Huge dinner plate salad-- Lettuce, Tomato, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, Target Penguin Crackers, Trader Joe's Pistachios, Aldi dried tropical fruit with nuts Trail Mix-- (pineapple, papaya, raisins, cranberries, banana chips, cashews, almonds), Thousand Islands Dressing, Baron's Blazing Hot Sauce. I'm surprised the whole Almonds didn't hurt my teeth! They were softer than most.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Braised lentils with meat from duck leg quarters that had been previously done confit - salted with herbs for a day, then poached in stock made from duck carcass and wings. Diced carrot, celery, onion in with lentils. Braised red cabbage as a side dish.

Duck with lentils_2021-11_plated up.jpg

I had a glass of red wine.

Fruitcake for dessert, well baptized with brandy since last December.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even the mac and cheese you get at a Panera cafe is chalky and weird.

More Thanksgiving leftovers for dinner. I still have one chicken thigh for tomorrow's dinner. And plenty of pilaf which I can take for lunch on Monday.
The mac and cheese at Panera is delivered to the store in plastic bags that they heat in water. I'm guessing it's the same stuff that you can get in the grocery store in the plastic cups.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
muffy muffy My dad used to break it into pieces in a glass, pour buttermilk over it, and eat it with a spoon. No, thank you, very much, indeed! I've been known to add diced bell peppers, onions, and ground, browned sausage to mine when the kids would show up with hungry friends and the cupboards were pretty bare. I could feed the multitudes for a couple or three bucks.

Turkey sandwiches again tonight, then slicing most of the bird up and freezing in one-sandwich packages. Saving a bit to chop up for the outsiders, for their breakfast.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was our Thanksgiving and our son and daughter in law were here!I know I haven't said much,but our daughter in law has ovarian cancer and is undergoing chemo...last week was treatment #2 and we weren't sure if she'd be up to coming.She did take a nap before we ate,but that's okay.So,dinner was the roast turkey,dressing,baked sweet potatoes,roasted brussel sprouts with onion,apple and butternut squash,my rosemary/raisin rolls.2 kinds of cranberry sauce,gravy and dessert was a carrot cake with white chocolate/cream cheese frosting,and the usual assortment of olives and pickles.All was to die for,we had a wonderful day and am ever so thankful she felt good enough to come spend the day with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.