What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
do you mean canned tuna with the water drained from it and the noodles mixed into a bowl with a shot of mayo and chips maybe added to it?
game misconduct game misconduct No, it's a casserole of canned, drained tuna with a homemade cheese sauce and lots of sauteed onions and peppers. You spoon the sauce with the tuna over the cooked pasta and then bake it for about 30 minutes until it's bubbly. Most tuna and noodle recipes call for cream of mushroom soup. I don't like cream of anything soup, so I make my own sauce with cheese and milk (instead of the cream of mushroom soup). A bit of buttered bread crumbs over the top. Rick loves the stuff.

Yesterday, we "finally" had Chinese, so I got my fix. First time, I think, since I retired.

Tonight (Saturday), Rick is doing two racks of ribs on the grill. I think I mentioned that our neighbors ended up with two racks of ribs. They don't like ribs, they don't know how to make them, and he told Rick that if we didn't take them, they were going to throw them in the trash. :jawdrop: Rick took them with pleasure. He said that I'd make the ribs and we'd invite them for dinner, but they don't like ribs. OK! We're doing ribs, mac and cheese, and broccoli salad for dinner. Pumpkin bars with an orange zest/cream cheese frosting. And plenty of iced tea. Should be good!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama I think you would like pistachios, they're pretty good.
Didn't buy them yet, but I went to the grocery store this morning, and right at the start of the produce section was a display of pistachio nuts! They were $5.99 a bag, which seemed too much to spend, in case I didn't like them. Since I like nuts, I'd probably like them, though. Do they taste like any other type of nut?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Do they taste like any other type of nut?
I'd describe it as having a unique taste, not overpowering, which I know probably isn't very helpful. Have you ever had pistachio ice cream? I don't blame you for not wanting to try a whole bag if you're unsure if you'll like it but maybe they have a small snack bag where you check out at the grocery store, i.e. point-of-purchase display.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pistachios! I currently am eating Wonderful (that's the brand name, lol) chili roasted pistachios, but plain ones are good too. They have a neutral-ish flavor that can go sweet (like in ice cream) or savory and taste good either way. They come with the shell on or already shelled. Shell-on is kind of like eating sunflower seeds with the shell on; some people prefer that and some don't. Nuts are always expensive but I don't think pistachios are more expensive than usual.

There should be a small snack-size bag, maybe $1 or $2, at the checkout. Something like this:
51V-j3ZOIrL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Fun fact: pistachios used to be dyed red because the harvesting and storage techniques they used made them discolored and ugly, and people wouldn't buy them if they could see the discoloration. So if you remember any red nuts from your youth, that's what they were. But they've improved their harvesting and storage techniques so they don't dye them anymore.

ETA: if you want to try the ice cream, splurge on Ben & Jerry's Pistachio Pistachio. It's miles better than the cheap green grocery-store-brand stuff.
Pistachio Pistachio Ice Cream | Ben & Jerry’s

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd describe it as having a unique taste, not overpowering, which I know probably isn't very helpful. Have you ever had pistachio ice cream? I don't blame you for not wanting to try a whole bag if you're unsure if you'll like it but maybe they have a small snack bag where you check out at the grocery store, i.e. point-of-purchase display.
Don't think I've ever had pistachio ice cream. And still not sure how I've managed to never try a pistachio nut? But that's gonna change soon. ;)

They come with the shell on or already shelled. Shell-on is kind of like eating sunflower seeds with the shell on; some people prefer that and some don't.
The package I saw were shell on.

There should be a small snack-size bag, maybe $1 or $2, at the checkout.
Will make a point of checking next time I'm out, as small snack size would be best for my "taste test". :)

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is our son's birthday...he's 51...so we took him and our daughter in law out to eat wherever they wanted to go (she's recovering from surgery),so they chose a place we've never been...Bellacino's...they popped up in his facebook advertising a free appetizer if it's your birthday."Dinner" was actually a late lunch,,,we had pretzel bites(comes with a grainy mustard sauce)and chips with cheese sauce(came with bacon,sour cream and fresh spicy salsa).I had a greek side salad with their wonderful house dressing (to die for) and a cuban sandwich(it was delish and huge!),son had the same,hubby had a rueben and cole slaw and daughter in law had a small ham and pineapple pizza.Service was wonderful and extremely friendly,they gave him his chips for free and made him(as a surprise from them) a brownie sundae for his birthday...hubby and I split a canoli (also delish!).I don't say this often but this is a place we will go back to.I took 2 bites of my cuban...yummy)..... was just enjoying my salad and all,I brought it home.Same with our son and most of her pizza she brought home.Hubby cleaned his plate...where he put it I don't know!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, lunch was a barbecued chicken breast with roasted, diced potatoes, and "seasoned" green beans. Again, I do believe that they simply usher a ham hock into the kitchen, say, "Beans, ham hock. Ham hock, beans," and usher the ham hock back out, a la Alice in Wonderland. Salt and pepper fixed is just fine. However, the barbecue sauce was nice, with just the right amount of spice, and plenty for both the chicken's bosom, and the diced potatoes! Tonight, again, will be whatever is on top of the stack of boxes in the freezer. OR if I get really ambitious, I'll bake a chicken pot pie.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we went to outdoor dining and I had a burger with bacon and egg.

I gave J the little slice of pickle that was on the stick in my burger and she chewed it for quite a while. I told my husband she's his kid, not mine. Lol, I do love how adventurous she is with food, though.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie Wow, 51! Our son's birthday is in Oct and he'll be 50. That's what really makes me feel old, to have a 50-year old son! I hope your son had a great day! Sounds like he did!

Our dinner went well. The broccoli salad was really good and Rick did a great job on the ribs. While we like a dry rub, I know that my BIL prefers his ribs wet. So I threw together some espresso BBQ sauce, which is always good. It worked out well. I used butternut squash in my pumpkin bars because that's what I had on hand. I wasn't running to the store for canned pumpkin when I had perfectly good butternut squash in the freezer. And you know what? If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't have known it. My BIL took several bars home, so it must have been good.

And there's enough leftover for tonight. Plenty of mac and cheese, a few ribs, and more broccoli salad. Yum!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This was the last night of celebrating a family member's birthday. We went out for dinner and although dinner was delicious dessert was even better - vegan pumpkin cheesecake. Instead of a slice they serve three individual mini-cheesecakes.

IMG_1291.JPG

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my nephew's baptism today, we ate a late lunch (I ended up making this roasted chickpea and veggie bowl for myself and J because my sister wasn't sure if the Italian beef they ordered was dairy free. It probably would have been safe, but I decided not to take the chance).

So I had an apple cinnamon bagel with violife cream cheese for dinner because I felt I needed to give J something. Otherwise it would have just been pumpkin cream cookies and fake ice cream. :lol:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had half a roast beef sandwich last night, the other half is for tonight. I put "no tomato" on my order but it still came with tomato. I just picked off the slices. At least they gave me regular mayo as I requested instead of the spicy horseradish one.

Is M maggiedemi still taking a break from TCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.