Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure what I'm having tonight. Surprise, right. :lol:

Is there a substitute for artichokes?
I've never had artichokes, so had to go to Google, which suggested some substitutes. However, the only one that seems easily doable would be brussel sprouts, maybe.:dunno:

Substitutes for Artichoke
  1. Cardone. Cardone, also known as cardboard, looks like celery. ...
  2. Jerusalem artichoke. This little vegetable is frequently mistaken for an artichoke. ...
  3. Brussel sprouts. ...
  4. The heart of the palm. ...
  5. Chayote. ...
  6. Other parts of the artichoke. ...
  7. Asparagus. ...
  8. Kohlrabi.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yesterday for lunch I had a toasted slice of Dave's Killer Bread topped with mashed avocado, tomato and onion.
And last night I had Gardein Crispy Tenders on a toasted bun, topped with mayo and tomato, with a few fries on the side, and an apple for dessert.

Still have half an avocado, plus tomatoes, so will be having another toasted sandwich for either lunch or dinner today.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the independent market across the street officially closed yesterday :bawling::bawling: The local newspapers were reporting a mid October closing date but I guess the owner decided to close early. I went yesterday and there wasn't much available. I just bought milk, yogurt, and a head of garlic. Where am I supposed to buy fresh produce from now?? The chain supermarket I go to for general groceries doesn't have a great selection of produce. Farmer's markets are only open for a few more weeks. I guess if I have to, I can trek all the way downtown on a weekend to the Public Market or the nearby street that is lined with gruff vendors selling produce and haggle on price and the quality of the offerings :fear: ( artiemom artiemom you know the place).

Dinner... no idea. I might just toss a pasta together with frozen veggies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our vegetable soup was yummy. Everything but ground beef and the carrots was from our garden. Even the potatoes and onions. I love being able to do that! I also made my version of Red Lobster’s cheddar bay biscuits with lots of cornmeal and cheddar. Yum.

We have enough soup and a few biscuits for tonight. I asked Rick if he wanted me to freeze the soup or have it as a quick supper later this week. He suggested we have it again tonight, since we’re going to be busy this afternoon. He’ll have his with applesauce and I took some freezer cabbage out of the freezer for me. Thankfully, he loves leftovers.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , Oh so sorry to hear about the market. It really stinks. There are so many mom & pop stores which have succumbed to the Pandemic. It is really sad. I end up getting my produce at eight Market Basket, or Trader Joes.. I know.. But the packaged organic salad stuff is Olivias Organics. My cousin's husband kind of works for them, so I know how fresh and clean the stuff is.

The organic blueberries at Trader Joes are really good. They are the only place I buy them.
There is a local small Italian Deli which has some produce. Not much, and limited supply.

I am upset about my local butcher closing. Now, where do I go for good meat, chicken? There is a place in the next town over, not convenient to get to; which began as a butcher shop, but has expanded to a full size grocery store. It is always jam packed...
Good thing I do not eat much meat. Chicken, I can pick up organic at Market Basket. There is a definite flavor difference.

I feel for you...

Winchester Winchester You have me craving vegetable soup or minestrone! The weather seems just right for soup... Really busy this week.... so....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , Oh so sorry to hear about the market. It really stinks. There are so many mom & pop stores which have succumbed to the Pandemic
It wasn't due to the pandemic. The market's owner decided it was time to retire and none of his children or any relatives wanted to continue the business. The owner sold the market and land for millions to a developer who will most likely build a blah huge lab building which is a hot market around here.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dare I ask what "animal style burgers" are?
its grilled onions.cheese,pickles,lettuce,tomatoes on a toasted bun with sandwhich spread mayo comes with 1,2,3 and 4 patties an any local in n out burger in southern california:lol:sloppy, messy goodness to eat with fries and a chocolate shake

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct And now I want an "animal style" burger. Big time! No fries, no shake. Just that burger.

I took chicken thighs out of the freezer for dinner tonight. I'll do them in the NFG with buttered parsley potatoes and some roasted butternut squash. It's not an "animal style" burger, dang it, but it will have to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.