What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not cook by notches on the stove.. I will start on a medium high, then turn the heat down, to a slow boil...
A slow boil is just that----slow bubbles
A roaring boil is--- fast bubbles
a medium is in-between..

It is best to learn by not going by notches... go by how the stove is cooking... that may be your issue.. you may not be cooking it at a high enough boil, to evaporate the liquid..

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi For rice it's usually a ratio of 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. I mostly use the rice cooker these days, so that gets things perfect, lol. I'm not sure what the ratio is for the Knorr packets, but a bit less water or letting it simmer longer may work.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not cook by notches on the stove.. I will start on a medium high, then turn the heat down, to a slow boil...
A slow boil is just that----slow bubbles
A roaring boil is--- fast bubbles {also called a "rolling boil," because the surface of the water looks like it is rolling}
a medium is in-between..

It is best to learn by not going by notches... go by how the stove is cooking... that may be your issue.. you may not be cooking it at a high enough boil, to evaporate the liquid..
And tiny bubbles that barely break the surface is a simmer.

Well, got my second Instacart delivery...and had a bowl of cereal. I wanted something yummy, WAY easy, and not heavy. Cereal met the criteria!

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My preteen made lunch (apple cider glazed pork chops, green beans and au gratin potatoes) for Father's Day, and my husband picked up dinner (spicy wings, a salad kit, and macaroni salad). I didn't have to cook at all today. :)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made eggs Benedict for lunch (it was supposed to be breakfast, but my husband slept in a lot), with his mom's sauce as opposed to regular hollandaise (and a dairy free version for me). That was my Father's day big meal. So for dinner I scrounged around and had a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, pretzels and hummus, and a peach. My husband had leftover pizza.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Practiced with anther Knorr pasta sides packet. This time I kept it on Medium and stir, stir, stir towards the end like artiemom artiemom told me to. It thickened better than usual, but I would still like it a bit thicker. Maybe cook it longer than the 11 minutes it calls for next time.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The kids are here. Grilled chicken, potato salad, crock pot beans. Iced Tea. Peanut butter and chocolate dessert.

I was going to do the chicken outside, but then it started to rain. The FG saved the day. Our son and GS are rather intrigued with the FG. I may get them one for Christmas.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is running and we need to go to the grocery store. So I pulled out this leftover Enjoy Life allergy friendly pancake mix and attempted to make pancakes with chocolate sprinkles in them. Plus plant butter and maple syrup. They're okay. Regular pancakes are way better.

0621211819.jpg

It didn't burn, that's what chocolate sprinkles look like when you cook them, apparently.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick is making his family-famous burgers today. We'll have macaroni and cheese and broccoli salad to go with. (The broccoli is from our garden!) Vanilla ice cream with strawberries for dessert.

BTW, I finally tried doing bacon in the oven. Oh wow, so easy! And perfect when you're doing a lot of bacon! I was so busy yesterday in the kitchen that I just flat-out did not have time to sit there and fry bacon and deal with it. Parchment paper on a large cookie sheet. Lay the bacon out in strips. 400 F for 15 - 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels. And poof! It's bacon!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I pulled out this leftover Enjoy Life allergy friendly pancake mix
Are they gluten free? Yeah, gluten free pancakes are really dense tasting, not fluffy like regular.

broccoli salad
What is broccoli salad? :think: We had broccoli from our garden this week.

I will just practice with another Knorr Pasta Sides packet tonight and try to perfect it. I think I'm almost there. Just have to cook it longer to thicken it more, but keep stirring so it doesn't stick and burn and give me that fishy burnt taste. Let's do this! :thumbsup:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think anything like baked goods and pancakes that are gluten free have a very different texture. If we were used to that texture we would probably think that the regular that we are used to would be very different. A big part of making yeast type doughs is developing the gluten, that is what kneading does.

Status
Not open for further replies.