What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Last night we had leftover tuna and noodles, along with leftover angel food cake with strawberries. Rick said we're on our third quart of strawberries from the garden. It's amazing how much better they taste than store-bought berries. They're not as big, although we've had some nice-sized berries, but they taste wonderful.

Not sure about tonight. Probably a couple flatbread pizzas in the NFG.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of web sites use professional food stylists to get the dish looking yummy and all that. Food stylists have lots of tricks to make anything look scrumptious. As long as the dish is yummy who cares if it doesn't look professionally styled?

I think I have leftovers pasta in the fridge for dinner.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made this almond crusted chicken and kale salad.

I remembered to take a picture of this one
View attachment 384819

See, it doesn't look near as nice when I make it. Still tasted pretty good, though.
I think it looks pretty good, Lari Lari . :)

Last night I came in from gardening, showered, and had little energy for preparing food. So I microwaved a frozen black bean, and toasted a frozen hamburger bun in the toaster oven, sliced up some onion and tomato, and voila ... dinner. 🍔

Tonight I'm thinking hot dog with onions, however, might be a salad instead. :headscratch:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a new place that opened recently in town called the Feed Store...have read lots of great reviews on their food.Their special today is catfish.fries,hush puppies and a drink ,so I think that's going to be our dinner.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cut up some of the leftover chicken and put it on top of the girls' dinners as a topper. 30 seconds later I see Lily go to her dish. She ate all the chicken then went and ate all of Sophie's. :doh: Good thing I still had a little left to give her as a treat.

Tonight is jalapeno cheese smoked sausage with fries for me.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went out for burgers (outdoor dining). I had to get the gluten free bun because there's milk in the regular one, and had my burger with bacon and an egg. I miss cheese in cases like this. I'm hoping the bun wasn't buttered since I told them I had a dairy allergy. I swear sometimes this diet has me paranoid.

I'm just going to make tacos today.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I microwaved a frozen black bean
Hee hee. I hope you enjoyed that single black bean. Was it very satisfying? :flail:

new place that opened recently in town called the Feed Store
This reminds me of when I worked at Pizza Hut, we used to call our meals "Feedbag". :lol:

I swear sometimes this diet has me paranoid.
Try being vegetarian and worrying if a food has tiny meat molecules in it. 🥴 We do the best we can. :hugs:

Probably fool around with another Knorr pasta sides packet tonight. I will master these or die trying!!!!!!! :crossfingers:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hee hee. I hope you enjoyed that single black bean. Was it very satisfying? :flail:
I literally LOL'd when I read that and pictured one black bean sitting on my hamburger bun, with all the other toppings. :lol:
Guess I need to proof read my posts a bit better. :)

So last night didn't end up being the salad or the hot dog. It ended up being a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich.

No idea about tonight yet. Maybe hot dog and fries? :dunno:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably practice with another Knorr pasta sides packet. I have 9 left. Maybe this stove needs replacing. It's over 20 years old.
Medium appears to be too high, it has a burnt fishy taste. I'll try a couple notches down. It never thickens after 7 minutes. Maybe I need to cook it longer than they say.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi As far as the fishy taste: are you using a nonstick pan? If you are, make sure it is cleaned well..

Even more important: How old and what type of oil are you using? or butter or margarine?
That can impart a strange taste... rancid like.

I use EVOO on most things. If not EVOO, I use Corn Oil. I do not care for the taste of canola oil.

Have you tried cooking it at a low boil? Do not go by the numbers on the stove, go by the boil..
Stoves all differ... some lows are almost as hot at medium.. you have to experiment.

If not thickened, and the rice is cooked, I would take the cover off, put it on a medium boil and stir, stir, stir constantly, so it does not burn, or stick to the pan..

Just some thoughts....
Boiling evaporates liquid... just be careful it does not burn... taking the cover off aids in evaporation also. You want it covered to cook the rice...
It may be that the Knorr rice are meant to be a bit liquidly...never made them.. too much sodium for me...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you using a nonstick pan? If you are, make sure it is cleaned well.
Yes, nonstick pan. I do all the dishes here, so it's definitely clean. The oils and butter are all new. I got rid of all the old stuff when she wasn't looking.

Have you tried cooking it at a low boil? Do not go by the numbers on the stove, go by the boil..
I don't know what a low boil is. I just keep trying all the notches between low and medium. One of them is bound to work. The packets call for like 2 cups of liquid. So it's hard to thicken it. Maybe I should just add less water than it calls for. I am doing pasta sides now, not rice, so no cover in the directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.