What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch: Sampled a bunch of new stuff- Justin's honey almond butter, Justin's honey peanut butter, Target whipped raw honey were all yummy. I didn't like the chili cheese corn chips, too salty, I think I prefer crackers over chips, but I do like Tortilla chips.

Dinner: Will probably make some type of casserole for one.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lied, for dinner I didn't have a casserole, I had my famous huge dinner plate salad- romaine lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, dried cranberries, pine nuts, hazelnuts, flax/chia, 1 hard boiled egg, shredded cheese, avocado, Target veggie tortilla chips, finished up the honey mustard dressing.

This was my first time trying pine nuts! They are usually expensive, but Target had a small bag for only a few dollars. They are good, they taste like sweeter walnuts.

The Target veggie tortilla chips are good, but taste like they belong with Mexican food.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...so last night was an adventure. I had bought some of my favorite, Palmetto Cheese pimento cheese with bacon. And I had the last of that loaf of DKB...SO...I went crazy, fried four slices of bacon nice and crispy, and made grilled pimento cheese and bacon sandwiches. OH GOD THEY WERE SO GOOD!!!

There's one slice left now...whatever I have for supper, I'll have that slice of DKB toasted with butter and peach preserves for dessert!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We ordered Chipotle. I had barbacoa, brown rice and lettuce on mine, and added some daiya shredded "cheese". A bit sad. Hopefully there was no soy in anything.

This was my first time trying pine nuts! They are usually expensive, but Target had a small bag for only a few dollars. They are good, they taste like sweeter walnuts.
Pine nuts are in pesto sauce, so if you haven't had it, you might like it!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had pine nuts, due to their very expensive price. Interesting that they taste like sweeter walnuts. And since I put walnuts on m salads, I probably would love pine nuts. Maybe, since I broke my "frugal rule" and bought DKB, I should spurge and buy some pine nuts. :)

Not sure about tonight yet, as usual. LOL.
Last night was rotini and pasta sauce. Again.
Night before was just toast and cheese.
Night before that was black beans and rice.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
no idea for supper...I did get a medium roast beef sandwich, on Thursday... with a toasted bun, shredded lettuce, tomato and mayo... it was delish! Such good roast beef...

Do not know about today... I ma in a rut... I need to think of something for Sunday and Monday..
not feeling like cooking, not being able to afford take out... sigh...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Last night, I had one pound of bulk sausage. Looked through the pantry and found a box of penne. I had some leftover tomato paste in the fridge. Chopped an onion, added frozen peppers chunks and threw both into the pan. Added the sausage. Cooked some penne. Added tomato paste and water to the sausage mixture (drained the sausage first). Sprinkled in basil, oregano, and marjoram. Add a dollop of red wine. Just because. Added the penne and combined. Added some frozen peas. Topped it off with a good sprinkle of Parm. You know, it wasn't bad, considering I had no clue. (Look through the pantry....yeah, that looks OK. Look through the fridge.....yeah, I can use that. And so on.)

Dear Richard will be making his family-famous hamburgers for dinner tonight. Not sure what we're having with them. Maybe a few French fries. He's going to do them outside on the grill. Unless it's raining. Then I'll do them in the NFG (probably along with the fries).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby is not feeling well today so dinner was some defatted chicken broth
It sounds like you are taking good care of him. I hope he feels better.

Pine nuts are in pesto sauce, so if you haven't had it, you might like it!
I do like pesto! So I guess maybe I've had them before then, if they always use pine nuts in them.

I've never had pine nuts, due to their very expensive price.
Do you have Target in Canada? See if you can find a small sample bag like I did. It's enough for several salad plates.

Lunch: Had a plate full of rye chips with various dips. I don't think I would buy these again, too small and salty. I prefer tortilla or pita chips.

Dinner: Veggie Sammich- 2 slices dad's homemade bread toasted, 2TB mayo, 1/2TB habanero hot sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion, 1 hard boiled egg, slice of provolone cheese.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have Target in Canada? See if you can find a small sample bag like I did. It's enough for several salad plates.
No Target in Canada. It was here briefly back around 2013-2015, but it failed miserably, and was gone before we knew it.

Last night I ended up having some of my black beans and rice from earlier in the week. (it didn't last in the freezer long.:ohwell: )

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We went out to brunch yesterday, I had so much to eat that dinner was a snack - yogurt and fruit. Here's what we ate for brunch:
Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle
Tonight I think I'll make a big salad to use up the spinach leaves and other veggies I have in the fridge. I may pick up a dessert when out later since I have a craving for sweet carbs. :biggrin:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is the dinner thread, but look at my breakfast!
0509211041.jpg

French toast made with almond milk and plant butter on Dave's Killer white bread done right, plus Applegate chicken and maple breakfast sausage. It was delicious!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Target in Canada. It was here briefly back around 2013-2015, but it failed miserably
Wow, it's really popular here! It has mostly the same thing as Walmart though, but some things are different and during the pandemic they shipped a lot more things than Walmart, so they were a lifesaver for me.

it didn't last in the freezer long
What happened, did it get mushy?

I know this is the dinner thread, but look at my breakfast!
I think dinner can be any meal. My grandma called lunch dinner. I call all my cats' meals dinner. Nice breakfast!

Lunch: Sampled my garlic pita chips with a bunch of dips and cheese. They were okay.

Dinner: I think I will have a Knorr pasta sides packet with the rest of those pita chips crushed on top.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, it's really popular here! It has mostly the same thing as Walmart though, but some things are different and during the pandemic they shipped a lot more things than Walmart, so they were a lifesaver for me.
I think they had really poor management for their Canadian launch, plus tried to open too many stores at once. I decided to go for the store opening, so was one of the first people in the store nearest me, and I remember being shocked at there being so many empty shelves in a just opened store. So I wasn't surprised that it didn't stick around. I did like it, and thought it was good competition for Walmart. Plus it took over locations where Canadian store Zellers used to be. Now we're stuck with just Walmart.

What happened, did it get mushy?
No, it was fine. I just meant I ate it soon after putting it in the freezer. Usually the leftovers stay in the freezer a bit longer than this time.

Last night was breakfast for dinner, as I had scrambled egg and toast.

Still pondering tonight's dinner. :headscratch:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I did pasta sauce on Saturday, I kept a bit of sauce in the fridge and then froze the rest. We had spaghetti yesterday with a few crescent rolls and a bit of salad.

Not sure about tonight; it all depends on how Dear Richard feels after his endoscopy today.

Status
Not open for further replies.