What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure what to make tonight so I have a hunch it will be breakfast for dinner, e.g. scrambled eggs with veggies and swiss cheese. Maybe a slice of cinnamon toast on the side and a cup of honey lemon ginseng green tea. We bought more honeycrisp apples today so that will be dessert.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I paid way too much for two Cosmic Crisp apples at Trader Joe's. I had read how they are supposed to be so good and I have never seen them in my regular grocery store. They were okay but not anything close to all the hype. Definitely not worth what I paid for them. Now I know, my curiosity is appeased and I won't buy them again unless they are a normal price.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a random thought - how yummy would Dave's bread be if made into basic French toast? :think: Or in any type of breakfast casserole that calls for bread?

Winchester Winchester there's some baked brunch items here that are right up your alley :) You’re Invited to Kitchn’s Brunch Fest on May 2 Scroll down a bit for pictures. The giant lemon roll looks so good :yummy:

Dinner was just a grilled cheese sandwich. Nothing fancy. I took some chicken thighs out of the freezer for tomorrow night's dinner. I'm not sure yet if I want to do Shake N Bake or re-try that recipe that called for one tablespoon of oil to mix all the spices in but the pictures did not match the recipe.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been having anything interesting lately, and tonight was no different. Just some rotini and bottled pasta sauce. I need to start cooking again.
Rotini and bottled paeta sounds good to me. When I used to grow tomatos I would make sauce and freeze it. It was so much better made fresh with home grown tomatoes.They say Rao is the best bottled pasta sause.

Tonight I didn't go down for dinner. I had a swiss chese sandwich with dill pickle chips and vegan mayo. I am trying to eat up my DKB before it gets moldy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid way too much for two Cosmic Crisp apples at Trader Joe's. I had read how they are supposed to be so good and I have never seen them in my regular grocery store. They were okay but not anything close to all the hype. Definitely not worth what I paid for them. Now I know, my curiosity is appeased and I won't buy them again unless they are a normal price.
They're down to normal price at Sam's Club so that's what I've been buying. . .they're pretty good! I also got a bag of Autumn Glory, very nice, although I'm one of those people who are like "whaddaya mean it has "chocolate undertones"; it just tastes like wine!" so I probably don't properly appreciate the Autumn Glory's "cinnamon and caramel undertones", lol. Ambrosia is good too. I have a hard time paying $3 or $4 a pound for apples so if nothing else is priced reasonably I get Fuji or Gala, maybe Braeburn. But I like trying the odd ones when the price comes down.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
re-try that recipe that called for one tablespoon of oil to mix all the spices in but the pictures did not match the recipe.
Yes! You need to try it or you will always wonder...And so will we! :lol:

I am trying to eat up my DKB before it gets moldy.
How long before it gets moldy? I did an experiment, and it took 2 weeks in the fridge. I usually like to use bread up within one week though, to be safe.

Yum. You sure make some fancy looking dinners!

have a hard time paying $3 or $4 a pound for apples so if nothing else is priced reasonably I get Fuji or Gala,
Try buying the apples that are priced by the bag! It seems to be much cheaper than the ones priced by pound.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rotini and bottled paeta sounds good to me. When I used to grow tomatos I would make sauce and freeze it. It was so much better made fresh with home grown tomatoes.They say Rao is the best bottled pasta sause.
It was good, actually. And quick and easy to prepare. Your pasta sauce from home grown tomatoes sounds really yummy though.

so I probably don't properly appreciate the Autumn Glory's "cinnamon and caramel undertones",
That sounds interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if we have Autumn Glory apples here. Normally, though, I buy the less expensive varieties, with Gala being my favourite.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try buying the apples that are priced by the bag! It seems to be much cheaper than the ones priced by pound.

Trader Joe's is really expensive on produce. They price their apples per apple not per pound. The Cosmic Crisp were $1.29 per apple which I think is really high, the ordinary varieties like Gala were 60 some cents per apple. I have looked for the Cosmic Crisp at Kroger and haven't seen them. Now that I bought two at Trader Joe's for that price Kroger will have them at a reasonable price.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Part of the selection of Dave's bread at the supermarket today:

20210501_073218[1].jpg

I didn't buy any this time. I'll wait for a sale or if I find a coupon.

For M maggiedemi , spicy flavored cheeses from a few weeks ago at a different market:

20210424_090332_HDR[1].jpg

I'm going to go with Shake N Bake chicken tonight. One less item to wash up :biggrin:

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trader Joe's is really expensive on produce. They price their apples per apple not per pound.
I noticed that when I buy an individual apple, it is $1 an apple. But I can get 6 or 7 apples in a bag for $3 to $4 at Aldi.

It's $5 at Walmart. I think I'll get the 21 grains/seeds one.

spicy flavored cheeses from a few weeks ago at a different market:
Yum! I'll have to see if I can find that brand. I got a spicy trinidad scorpion gouda cheese from Aldi.

Yesterday I just tried out a billion different snacks. I hated the Chex Mix, except for the garlic rye chips, so I just picked those out and ate them. I didn't like my spicy hot wing pretzel thins, too bitter. I like the regular plain ones better, and the chunky Snyder's pretzel pieces. Didn't like my spicy Doritos Flamas, too much lime.

The white cheddar cheese curds from Aldi are fabulous! Even better than the cajun ones. Didn't like my Tex Mex or Asian trail mixes, too salty and bland. I'll try one with dried fruit in it next time.

Sampled a bunch of mom's chocolate snacks, but didn't like any of them- chocolate brownies, larabars, and peanut butter cups. Still not a chocolate fan.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy my apples at Sam's Club so they only have bags, and it's a big bag too. I eat one a day and keep them in the fridge so that works for me. The Cosmic Crisps were $5.98 for 4 pounds so that's about $1.50 a pound, I'm fine with that. But yeah, at grocery stores the bags do make a big difference.

Last night I was fresh out of energy and ideas so I had 2 microwave burritos and a package of cream cheese pretzel bites. They were pretty good, I'll have to buy those again.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Last night, we had stromboli. I had some dough in the freezer, took it out, and gave it a good thaw. It was good and it had been a while since we had had stromboli. I doctored some of my frozen tomatoes for the sauce.

Tonight will be chicken thighs with a salad. Or beef pot pie, whichever Dear Richard wants. And whatever we don't have tonight will be Sunday's dinner. I took both the chuck roast and the chicken thighs out of the freezer yesterday morning.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, we had stromboli.
Yeah, I think I prefer stromboli over calzone, because it has sauce. But some restaurants here confuse the 2 and you never know if you'll get sauce or not.

Pot pie is one of my favorite foods. The crust is the best part I think. It's getting easier to find vegetarian ones in stores! I should just make my own though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What brand are those? I want to look for them. I have some in the freezer, but I think they have cheddar cheese in them.
Bagel Dots, jalapeño popper flavor. In a small bag, not a box. Pretty sure I got them at Walmart, I suppose Aldi is possible too. I haven't been to any other grocery store for a long time.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

View attachment 378581

I didn't buy any this time. I'll wait for a sale or if I find a coupon.

For M maggiedemi , spicy flavored cheeses from a few weeks ago at a different market:

View attachment 378582

I'm going to go with Shake N Bake chicken tonight. One less item to wash up :biggrin:
Dou yourself a favor and skip the bagels. They are meh. I bought the everything ones. The taste is fine because they taste like their bread which I like. They don't use much of the everything bagel seasoning and the texture is too soft. They are basically thick, round pieces of their bread. At over $1 per bagel they are not worth it IMO. I'd put them on par with any supermarket bread aisle bagel like Thomas' or Lender's. I added more everything bagel seasoning to the top after I put the cream cheese on. It was better but still meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.