Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama
I too find the whole wheat penne splits apart.
Hmmm... interesting. Something to do with the level of gluten in whole wheat versus regular, maybe?:dunno:

Not sure what I'm having tonight, and since I don't have a plan, it will probably be something quick, or from the freezer.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy The sell Calcium tablets without magnesium. I had to get those because the magnesium effects me also..
Yes, I will have to get some. I took calcium tablets for years but I was told that I had severe osteoporosis anyway.

I got the grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner tonight. They have good tomato soup but they gave me such a tiny amout. I had to open a can of my own soup to go with the grilled cheese.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a bag of frozen Brussels sprouts, dumped into the leftover wing sauce and also put under the broiler. And blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Great idea. Yum! Might have to try this. Cauliflower tastes good with hot sauce or BBQ sauce cooked on it.

Have you ever had Ketchup Chips?
No, but that sounds good! Ketchup belongs on potatoes, so it makes sense. I'll look for them, thanks. :thumbsup:

They have good tomato soup but they gave me such a tiny amount.
Dang, they are stingy. Restaurants usually do the opposite, they give way too big a bowl of soup, so I usually get the cup of soup.

Breakfast: 3/4cup Kashi cinnamon shredded wheat cereal. Tasted just like Triscuits! :lol: Added half a sliced Pinata apple, the last one, and 1/3 cup 2% milk.

Lunch: Snack plate. I did a better job of combining flavors on this one- Saltine crackers, jalapeno kettle chips, diced swiss cheese block, pickle slices, the other half of that sliced Pinata apple, 1TB French's stoneground dijon horseradish mustard, 1TB Justin's vanilla almond butter, 1TB Bonne Maman fig preserves. The pickles tasted fabulous with the mustard & cheese! Kinda like a cuban sandwich, but on crackers.

Dinner: Leftover spaghetti cake casserole, added 1/8Tsp spicy fire salt, 1/2TB El Yucateco green habanero hot sauce, 1/2TB stoneground mustard, 10 jalapeno kettle chips crushed on top after microwaving.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baked boneless, skinless chicken breast with Ken's Country French salad dressing dribbled on prior to baking and again when turned over. White rice. Sauteed onion and mushrooms. Microwave steamed asparagus.

About vegetables: I find the microwave steamer bags excellent for fresh asparagus and broccoli, good for frozen vegetables, horrible for carrots. Fresh Brussels sprouts are quite easy - trim base, cut in half, saute with butter and oil until browning in a few spots, then add boullion, cover pan, turn down heat and cook until a thin skewer (turkey lacing size) easily penetrates. Frozen vegetables - I always try to keep green peas, various types of green beans (cut, the flat Italian, skinny little whole), corn, mixed vegetables on hand. Used to keep sugar snap peas too, but they have vanished from the freezer case. Also keep a bag of frozen little pearl onions on hand.

Do we need a separate thread for vegetables?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night it was going to be a tuna fish sandwich. I bought fresh french rolls.
I was tired... just emotionally drained, Had lied down with Geoffrey for a while, then chatted for a while on the phone..

The building's supper came it. It looked pretty good, tasted it, so I ate it.. Salmon with fresh green beans, probably frozen, and a couple fo plain small roasted potatoes. Turned out it was dry..
But, I ate most of it.. all the green beans, most of the salmon and one small potato.. with plenty of salt and pepper, that I put on..

Tonight, thinking a sandwich of leftovers.. last of the pork tenderloin.. on a french roll, mustard... and some potato chips...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm... interesting. Something to do with the level of gluten in whole wheat versus regular, maybe?:dunno:
Yes, quoting myself, but M maggiedemi 's comments about gluten free pasta breaking apart, got me thinking. So I Googled, and found the following:

"Whole-grain pasta includes the bran and germ part of the kernel, which lowers the percent of gluten in each noodle, making it structurally less sturdy than refined pasta, with a greater tendency to fall apart if it isn't made well."
The Whole-Grain Pasta Primer - Cooking Light.

So guess that explains why my penne breaks apart. Funny my other whole grain pastas don't break apart, though. Must have something to do with the shapes.

Do we need a separate thread for vegetables?
This one is probably fine, unless you think there'd be a lot of interest in a vegetable thread. If so, feel free to start one.

So last night I ended up having one of my Naan pizzas, with some salad on the side. And an apple for dessert.

As usual, no idea about tonight. :dunno:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cauliflower tastes good with hot sauce or BBQ sauce cooked on it.
I don't like cauliflower. I'm not sure what part of it I don't like---I like broccoli and Brussels sprouts, and they all have the same basic cruciferous vegetable taste. But nope. I definitely don't like this new trend of cauliflower "rice" and "hot wings" and other substitutions. I had some cauliflower "hot wings" couple weeks ago, and they weren't terrible, but I won't buy them again.

I made Japanese curry on Tuesday and was eating it all week for work lunches. I'll probably havd it for dinner tonight if I can't think of anything else.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on a french roll, mustard
What brand & kind of mustard? I'm collecting different types.

Whole-grain pasta includes the bran and germ part of the kernel, which lowers the percent of gluten in each noodle, making it structurally less sturdy than refined pasta, with a greater tendency to fall apart if it isn't made well.
Very interesting info! :thumbsup:

I had some cauliflower "hot wings" couple weeks ago, and they weren't terrible, but I won't buy them again.
Maybe try the ones with BBQ sauce on them?

Breakfast: Aldi brioche bagel toasted, 2TB Justin's vanilla almond butter, half a sliced McIntosh apple on top. I really like these apples! I never tried them before, they are really sweet...I don't think bagels taste very good after being frozen. 😩

Lunch: Snack plate- saltine crackers, jalapeno kettle chips, cajun cheese curds, garlic cheese curds, the other half of that sliced McIntosh apple, pickle slices, 1TB bean dip, 1TB ketchup, 1TB French's horseradish stoneground mustard.

Dinner: Leftover spaghetti cake casserole. Added 1/8Tsp spicy fire salt, 1/2TB El Yucateco green habanero hot sauce, 1/2TB French's horseradish stoneground mustard, crushed saltine crackers & jalapeno kettle chips. I love adding my chips & crackers to everything!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy With all the vegetables there are in the world it's really not the end of the world if you don't like cauliflower. So don't eat it.

Tillapia fillet topped with onion / celery / red pepper mirepoix combined with cut up shrimp sauteed with the vegetables and some bread crumbs added. Was concerned that the toppings, since already cooked, might become overdone so covered with tin foil while baking.

Sides were couscous prepared in bouillon, combination of fresh carrots and frozen green peas.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The chicken came out good but I need to tweak the ingredient amounts next time. I doubled them but it still wasn't enough to coat both sides of the four chicken thighs. The stated amount isn't enough for the 6 drumsticks the recipe is for either. I tried the recipe once before with drumsticks. 1 TB oil, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper. Somehow one of the pictures accompanying the recipe shows the drumsticks in a mixing bowl completely covered in the seasonings :headscratch: And the previous picture of the mixed seasonings in the bowl definitely has more than 1 TB of oil. I barely got the dry seasonings into paste with 1 TB of oil.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had naan pizza. I like it with a lot of cheese and sauce. It was so good I had another one for dessert.

On Monday they are going to open the dinning room for lunch. It will be nice to get out of this room once in a while. I will be glad when they start taking us out to restaurants and shopplng.

Status
Not open for further replies.