What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Butter is made from milk so companies may just list milk instead of butter in the ingredient list but the label may say something else as a marketing thing :dunno: What's pea protein doing in ice cream?

I have leftover pasta tonight.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Butter is made from milk so companies may just list milk instead of butter in the ingredient list but the label may say something else as a marketing thing :dunno: What's pea protein doing in ice cream?

I have leftover pasta tonight.
I only know this because of being on a very strict diet, last year.
I had to diligently read labels and search for definitions on the web.

Pea Protein is used a thickener agent.. It is supposed to be a more 'natural' thickener, than what they used to use... I think it was cellulose or whatever....

Pea protein does not agree with me. It makes me very gassy; so I avoid it.

Butter is sometimes labeled as 'cream'..

The sugar syrup is kind fo good.. at least it is not High Fructose Corn syrup; unless the "Corn Syrup Solids" is a new name for it. I have to look it up.....

I cannot have HFCS... I have a big huge intolerance to it. I still read labels.
~~~~~~~~
Last night was a pork tenderloin.. It was so good! I cut it into fourths, sautéing stove top... It was kid of a treat. I bought it at Whole Foods$$$$$$$$.... It was marinated in a mustard, garlic, herb sauce. So tender and flavorful. I had a baked sweet potato to go with it.. and a navel orange for dessert.. a cup of decaf tea, later...

I splurged on the tenderloin. I do not eat it often... But I seem to be on a "Pork" kick... last week was Italian Pork Sausages.. yesterday the pork tenderloin...

Today will be leftover tenderloin, perhaps cut up in a salad.. I ordered the salad from here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think, this weekend, will be perhaps cold cuts??? or chicken--yuck...

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we had our afternoon snack later than usual so neither of us were very hungry at dinner time. I made panini. Himself had smoked turkey and Jarlsberg cheese on 10-grain bread. Mine was ham and Jarlsberg. Microwave steamed broccoli to accompany the sandwiches. And it was good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This morning, I asked Dear Richard if there was anything he wanted for dinner. His response? "Mac and cheese." "Dear, we just had mac and cheese not that long ago." "Ok, then mac and cheese with tomatoes." I guess we're having some form of mac and cheese for dinner tonight. I really can't complain. Comfort food at its finest.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made Penne and Broccoli last night, and since it made enough for 3 servings, I'll be have it again tonight. Third serving, I'll freeze.

Pic from last night:
IMG_2417.jpg

Any thoughts on why penne always breaks apart. It said to cook for 8 minutes for el dente, and I only cooked for 6, and still some of them split apart. Still edible, but annoying. :ohwell:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
currently eating chinese takeout, feel bad because everyone else is eating healthy
I consider Chinese healthy, I mean it's got tons of veggies?! Am I wrong? :headscratch:

Jarlsberg cheese on 10-grain bread
That sounds amazing. I know that's a fancy Swiss cheese. 🧀

Ok, then mac and cheese with tomatoes.
Swoon. Does he have a single brother? Pasta & cheese every day! :thumbsup:

Any thoughts on why penne always breaks apart.
Is it gluten-free? That stuff always falls apart. 😩

Breakfast: Aldi brioche bagel toasted, 2TB Justin's vanilla almond butter, half a sliced Pinata Apple on top.

Lunch: Snack plate- I put less variety on it this time so it wouldn't clash- Saltine crackers, jalapeno kettle chips, swiss cheese, the other half of that sliced Pinata apple, 2TB French's stone ground mustard, 1TB ketchup. I like ketchup on potato chips.

Dinner: Leftover spaghetti cake casserole- I added 1 pinch spicy fire salt, 1/2TB El Yucateco green habanero hot sauce, 1/2TB French's stone ground mustard, then microwaved, then crushed Saltine crackers & jalapeno kettle chips on top.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never had my pasta break apart. Wonder if the boil was too strong.
Possibly. Strange thing is, it's only Penne that breaks apart. Rotini and macaroni cook fine. :dunno:

Is it gluten-free? That stuff always falls apart. 😩
No. But it's Whole Wheat. Maybe that has something to do with it. :headscratch:

I like ketchup on potato chips.
Have you ever had Ketchup Chips? Not sure if they're readily available in the US or not. Supposedly, they're a Canadian thing. 🇨🇦

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Swoon. Does he have a single brother? Pasta & cheese every day! :thumbsup:
He does not, sorry. He is the youngest of two with an older sister. But I do think he could eat mac and cheese every day of his life!

Tonight is pizza. From the freezer.

I have a pizza story from many years ago. When DS was in grade school, they were supposed to bring a food in from their culture. Well, we are primarily German, but he didn't want any German foods. He wanted pizza. I told him that pizza did not come from Germany. To which he responded, "But Mom! It's pizza!" And to be fair, we did, and still do, have pizza quite often. So I said, "Fine! Pizza it is!" He chose the day when I was off work, so I could make pizzas. And I got started on the dough and such early that morning. And for lunch that day, I took three huge cookie-sheet size pizzas into his class with various toppings, along with paper plates, plastic forks, and plenty of napkins. There was not a slice left; those kids scarfed down pizza like they were starving. DS received an A for his project. (The teacher did ask me about pizza being German. I looked at her and said, "Shhhh! We're pretending!")

You'd never get away with that today. Too many allergies and such.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually? I wanted to see terms and conditions before I signed onto 2021!! :lol:

The Big Sandwich. I took a couple pictures, then realized that Dear Richard didn't add tomatoes. I was working on the wings, while he was making the sandwich. I don't know why I've always made the bread in a round pan; I have a square pan. I've just always done it that way. This loaf was not baked. Rick was very impatient!
View attachment 364689

Here's a serving, again without the tomatoes. I added them before we ate.
View attachment 364690

Our wings from the air crisper in the NFG.
View attachment 364691

I put foil on the main pan of the NFG, then put the AC pan in to Preheat. Added the wings. When the wings were done, I removed the foil and only had to wipe the main pan out. The AC pan went into the dishwasher. Before we went out to the shed, I put the brie in the main pan. 400F for about 20 minutes. The problem was that I didn't have any puff pastry, so I had to use Phyllo dough. The dough layers were way too thick....next time I'll have to remember the pastry! But it was still pretty tasty and we enjoyed it. Even after cooling for about 15 minutes, once I cut into it, the cheese flowed out. It was good, even with the phyllo and no pretty decorations on top, and with the darker crust. We enjoyed it with crackers.
View attachment 364692

Today's dinner will be pork and sauerkraut over mashed potatoes. And that's it. Really. I'm not making dessert as Rick is still working on that cheesecake. And we have cookies. If anything, I'll take an apple pie out of the freezer. But, to be honest, I'm about sugared-out.
that looks so good!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should try it with Triscuits. ;)
I don't think I can ever eat hummus again. I like Triscuits with mushroom or tomato soup.
372088[/ATTACH]
My brother could not find any plant based or vegetarian protein tablets. 0nly protein powder and I don't want that. I really need to get back on calcium tablets. I quit taking them because the magnesium made my IBS-D worse.

Tonight they are having grilled cheese and tomato soup. That is my favorite meal but they are in the habit of not given me what I ask for even when it is on the menu. I will refuse it if I don't get both the soup and grilled cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.