What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boneless, skinless chicken breast, splash of olive oil and drizzle of barbecue sauce. In toaster oven at 350 degrees F. to cook. Boiled little potatoes. Braised savoy cabbage - coarsely chop, saute in oil until just starting to brown, a few grinds of black pepper, some water, clap on lid and cook over moderate heat until water is gone and cabbage is done.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought the same thing. So I did try a little on my snack plate. But it's just too sweet for me. I'd rather have fried bread dough, or toast with cinnamon sugar, or pancakes with syrup. I don't even like muffins really, since they taste like cake. I love chips & crackers. I got the Triscuits! Haven't tried them yet though. I'm stuffed full.
Not sure what's available in the US, but when I want something sweet, but not sickly sweet, I'll have a couple digestive cookies. There's also ones called social tea. I'm sure there's something similar in the US, and they might be something you'd enjoy.

We had hot dogs
I really must put hot dogs (vegetarian of course) on my list of things I want to buy, as I never think of them when I'm in the store, but keep craving them whenever I see them mentioned here. 🌭

Last night I had a veggie burger, as planned, plus a small side salad. No clue about tonight yet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck! I hate cookies. Those were the sweetest of all the desserts. :lol:

I really must put hot dogs (vegetarian of course) on my list of things I want to buy
Now you're talking! I love vegetarian hot dogs, and they even have vegetarian corn dogs! Yummy. I like junk food, just not sweet ones. I need to start eating more fresh veggies again. I'm eating mostly snack food lately like chips and crackers.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yuck! I hate cookies. Those were the sweetest of all the desserts. :lol:
What kind of cookies did you buy? Ones with icing? Like Oreos? Try ones that would maybe have the description "biscuit". They'll be more like crackers, but with a touch of sweetness. But, alas, you may never like sweets, at all. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. ;)

I need to start eating more fresh veggies again.
I've been eating more salads, just wish the packaged ones were a bit smaller, as it's hard for 1 person to eat a whole bag of salad. :sigh:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yuck! I hate cookies. Those were the sweetest of all the desserts.
Digestive cookies are an entirely different animal from a snack cookie. If you can find them, try one. They're not nearly as sweet as snack cookies.

Tonight....something dead easy. I have a hair appointment in 4 and a half hours, which is the MIDDLE of my night, so I'll be useless this evening. Probably a cup of microwave ramen. That's my go-to on those "I CANNOT DEAL WITH THIS" nights.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of cookies did you buy? Ones with icing? Like Oreos? Try ones that would maybe have the description "biscuit".
I tried all different kinds. I thought I would like the peanut butter cookies, but still too sweet. I even tried biscotti and dunked it in my coffee. No dice. I'll just stick to crackers, chips, dried fruit. Dad's the same way. He thought he would like sampling all the desserts, but then he preferred chips over everything we bought.

Apparently I don't like popcorn either. I'm having flamin hot popcorn for lunch and it's kinda boring. You can't dip it in anything really. I prefer tortilla chips.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pasta, garlic toast and salad.
Is that red french or regular orange french?

I had fried bread dough for dinner with butter and cinnamon sugar on top. The recipe called for so much oil, but I only used 3TB and that was fine as long as you flip it. I probably could have even used less.

Also had some XXtra Hot Cheetos that W Willowy recommended I think? They were so hot, they melted my face off. :thumbsup:
I need to get off the junk food and back on the real food tomorrow.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also had some XXtra Hot Cheetos that W Willowy W Willowy recommended I think? They were so hot, they melted my face off. :thumbsup:
Oh yeah 😎

I had potstickers tonight. A mix of 3 different bags---chicken, beef, and leek. I really have to work on reducing my freezer inventory :paperbag:. It got entirely out of hand with pandemic buying and I have 2 freezers completely full.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I really have to work on reducing my freezer inventory :paperbag:. It got entirely out of hand with pandemic buying and I have 2 freezers completely full.
Same here, although our freezers are full of our vegetables from last summer's garden. We didn't do a lot of pandemic buying, other than paper towels and TP. We did get more canned foods and frozen vegetables than we normally do, but they're pretty much used now.

I ended up making dinner after all last night. My book didn't come, so I volunteered and that was OK with Rick. :) Nuked some soup from the freezer, along with two squash rolls each for us.

I'm thinking brats tonight. With lots of peppers and onions.
That being said, we've had a gift card to a local pizzeria now for over two years. Rick is bowling this afternoon, so he can call to order a couple hoagies and then grab them on his way out of town. We'll see.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester a question that you might know given that you're an experienced home cook: is it ok to put split chicken breasts with rib meat in the slow cooker? I would think it's fine since there are slow cooker recipes for small whole chickens. Just being a little :paranoid: The supermarket has spit chicken breast with rib meat on sale this week so I got a pack. The four split breasts are huge so I can only fit one into my slow cooker for a recipe I'm planning to make in the near future.

Dinner is leftover pasta.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah 😎

I had potstickers tonight. A mix of 3 different bags---chicken, beef, and leek. I really have to work on reducing my freezer inventory :paperbag:. It got entirely out of hand with pandemic buying and I have 2 freezers completely full.
I have to do the same. I have to use my freezer inventory; I cannot even close the door!!! It is bad..
I am using up some chicken today, for chicken soup: 2- 1/2 small chicken breast with ribs, and a thigh.. That is the older stuff.. So I feel good about it. It is supposed to be a cold week. I can out a container of soup in the freezer, or 2 small ones; in the place of the chicken...

Afraid of using up too much, because Covid is so rampant.. was informed last night, of another case of Covid in the building. We seem to be at a constant 3 cases for the past 3 weeks... sigh...

LTS3 LTS3 While you paged Winchester, I think I may be able to answer. I think would be surprised if you cannot use chicken breast with rib meat on it, in the crockpot. Chicken is chicken. I would expect it to cook all throughout, the hours should be ok... but check with an instant read thermometer.. If substituting for boneless chicken, I would just add a bit more time, because of the bones.
Sometimes you can easily remove the ribs from the breast meat..

If the recipe calls for browning the chicken before adding, well, I think Winchester Winchester would be helpful... personally, I would trim the breast, try hacking it into a couple of pieces and then browning it....

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had last night's dinner all thought out. Then my sister-in-law called. Himself had a good conversation with her. Then, so did I. And by the time I was off the phone it was already past dinner time so I needed to come up with something that would be ready more quickly.

I made a potato and onion frittata for Himself, with asparagus as a side dish that I blitzed in a microwave steamer bag. The cats had their usual Tiny Tiger. I had orzo with gravy and shredded cheese.

So everyone got fed and were reasonably pleased with their dinners.

Status
Not open for further replies.