What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you have J's pediatrician appointment yet? If so, what did they say? I hope you can put some dairy back in your diet.

Dinner was one of my bowls with brown rice, broccoli, shredded carrots, green onion, stewed tomatoes, black beans and sliced avocado on top. Trader Joe's dark chocolate almond butter cups for dessert.
It's tomorrow. I sat back and thought about it and have noticed she is spitting up a lot less, so if it is helping I'll keep doing it. I think it's the hidden dairy that's the worst at this point. We ordered out for lunch from a smallish pizza place and I got wings because I couldn't know if any of their bread or fries or things like that contain hidden milk.

I'm hoping I won't have to cut out soy or nuts or something on top of things. We'll see.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love crispy edges on mac and cheese, not too crisp, but just enough.
Crispy edges are the BEST!!!

Tonight, probably just a cup of ramen noodles. One of my friends is picking me up at 6:30 in the morning, and we're going out for breakfast. Don't want to fill up beforehand! The place we're going to has insanely good breakfasts. The rest of their food is certainly ok, but nothing to write home about. Their breakfasts ROCK!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm officially also soy free. So the fake cream cheese and sour cream I bought myself are out.

This will be fun...
(((((Hugs)))))))
I was completely lactose and soy free. Very hard to do.

I cheated a bit with Veganaise Mayo. It was the best tasting to me. I was also egg free.

I bought ‘MELT’ fake butter, made with coconut oil. It is very good. I can only find it in one grocery store, so I stocked up.

No bottled salad dressings. Only a good EVOO and a good Balsamic Vinegar.

Good luck!! 🍀

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(((((Hugs)))))))
I was completely lactose and soy free. Very hard to do.

I cheated a bit with Veganaise Mayo. It was the best tasting to me. I was also egg free.

I bought ‘MELT’ fake butter, made with coconut oil. It is very good. I can only find it in one grocery store, so I stocked up.

No bottled salad dressings. Only a good EVOO and a good Balsamic Vinegar.

Good luck!! 🍀
I wish I'd splurged on the Kite Hill cream cheese and sour cream rather than the cheaper Tofutti ones, because Kite Hill is also soy free. I'll have to go back, pick them up and maybe freeze the ones I have for when she hopefully outgrows it. My Daiya blue cheeze dressing is also soy free, and the dairy free ice cream I bought seems to be okay, and my bread and pretzels. I have an avocado oil mayo I had needed for a recipe and that looks like I can use it. I'd had a couple recipes on dock this week calling for soy sauce, but I switched mealime to soy free as well and found them again with coconut aminos subbed in, so I'll have to get some of that. I have the country crock plant based butter that says it "may" contain soy, so I assume is just processed in a plant that also processes soy. I'm going to assume that one's okay. Eating out is going to be the hardest, I think. But fortunately most of the stuff I bought yesterday is okay, so I feel a little better now than I did this morning.

I know egg is also one of the top 8 allergens, but I'm pretty sure egg protein is in vaccines, and as she hasn't had any reactions to those, I think I can safely assume I'm okay with that.

I made these rosemary chicken thighs and winter vegetables tonight.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I'd splurged on the Kite Hill cream cheese and sour cream rather than the cheaper Tofutti ones, because Kite Hill is also soy free.
I love Kite Hill almond milk yogurt and always look for it on sale. They make really good dairy free products :thumbsup: Hopefully Baby J will outgrow her allergy sensitivity and you can go back to preparing meals that you like and eat out more comfortably.

Lentil vegetable soup with half an onion roll for dinner tonight. I'm down to my last two chocolate/vanilla puddings and will be glad when they're gone. DH picked up Naughty & Rice cinnamon bun rice pudding for himself at Aldi today:
Naughty & Rice Cinnamon Bun or Mocha Rice Pudding | ALDI US

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I'm officially also soy free.
Oh, that's going to be tougher to avoid, I think, than dairy. Because soy is hidden in so many things you would never expect. Anything with "extra protein" that isn't meat, likely has soy isolate in it. You're going to have to read labels for almost everything. :(

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Last night, we were outside longer than we thought. Came in the house, cleaned up, and had frozen pizza.
I took the last of the Easter ham out of the freezer yesterday to thaw in the fridge. We're a bit hungry for ham salad, so I'll throw some together tonight.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the first time in well over a year I am going to have Trader Joe's Orange Mandarin Chicken and one of their spring rolls. Our Trader Joe's is fairly small and is crowded on the weekends so I haven't been since the COVID thing started. I took a couple of days off from work to get a break so I thought I would go on a weekday morning. There were more people there then I thought there would be but it wasn't crowded. I have been wanting Trader Joe's Orange Mandarin Chicken for months.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's going to be tougher to avoid, I think, than dairy. Because soy is hidden in so many things you would never expect. Anything with "extra protein" that isn't meat, likely has soy isolate in it. You're going to have to read labels for almost everything. :(
So I literally just discovered last night that wine might not be dairy free (?????), so I might not have been doing as well as I thought even if I've only had a couple glasses over the past month. It looks like soybean oil is so refined it doesn't count as an allergen per the FDA, so I don't think I'm going to worry about that too much unless I don't see improvement.

I'm going to try really hard not to slip up.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I easily remember the time when most babies were fed formula. I would occasionally hear about a baby that was sensitive to both dairy and soy, it happened but it was rare. There were formula alternatives but they were crazy expensive because of being a very small market. The formula got so expensive that the March of Dimes deemed it to be a birth defect and they would help people with buying the formula.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm wondering if soy really is a problem or I just have had unintentional dairy slip ups, but I'm willing to give it a go for the next month and then reassess at her next appointment.

Golden Grahams are dairy and soy free! Hello breakfast with some oatmilk.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
So I literally just discovered last night that wine might not be dairy free (?????), so I might not have been doing as well as I thought even if I've only had a couple glasses over the past month. It looks like soybean oil is so refined it doesn't count as an allergen per the FDA, so I don't think I'm going to worry about that too much unless I don't see improvement.

I'm going to try really hard not to slip up.
Lari, you are doing the best that you can.. It is so hard to be on a limited ingredient diet.. Soy and lactose seem to be in everything.. I mean everything.. no wonder so many people are developing allergies to these items..

You can only do what you can do.. nothing more.. You are trying your best.. and you are an extremely good mom for doing all that you are doing.. Some would just automatically switch over to formula.. so.. I applaud you...

One thing I did learn from my GI doc: It is not only dairy free you have to watch out for; You have to look at all things containing lactose.. That is what is the allergy~~~ Lactose.. Not just dairy...

I do not know if that helps or not... You have to scrutinize all the labels.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari, you are doing the best that you can.. It is so hard to be on a limited ingredient diet.. Soy and lactose seem to be in everything.. I mean everything.. no wonder so many people are developing allergies to these items..

You can only do what you can do.. nothing more.. You are trying your best.. and you are an extremely good mom for doing all that you are doing.. Some would just automatically switch over to formula.. so.. I applaud you...

One thing I did learn from my GI doc: It is not only dairy free you have to watch out for; You have to look at all things containing lactose.. That is what is the allergy~~~ Lactose.. Not just dairy...

I do not know if that helps or not... You have to scrutinize all the labels.
With babies it's generally cow's milk protein intolerance, not lactose intolerance, so it's only dairy products. And they usually outgrow it by a year old from what I've read.

Formula might be easier, but I'm determined to be passing on antibodies from my covid vaccine and protecting her as long as possible, so if that means restricting my diet, I'll do so.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm officially also soy free.
Yikes! That will be hard, soy is in EVERYTHING these days!

I bought ‘MELT’ fake butter, made with coconut oil. It is very good.
I think the thick coconut oil in a tub tastes just like butter, especially on toast.

Lunch: 2 slices of dad's homemade bread toasted with jarred comb honey on it. I'm sad to say that I don't seem to like my comb honey anymore. I prefer the smooth, thick raw honey that you have to scoop. I guess tastes change as we age.
Had some spicy Tex Mex trail mix with it. I didn't like that either, too salty. :lol:

Dinner: Sammich on dad's homemade bread toasted, with vegetarian meatballs, lettuce, tomato, mayo, habanero hot sauce. I forgot the cheese! I could tell something was missing. 😲

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Formula might be easier, but I'm determined to be passing on antibodies from my covid vaccine and protecting her as long as possible, so if that means restricting my diet, I'll do so.
Breast feeding is certainly best under almost all circumstances.

I got my Mandarin Orange Chicken fix last night. I ate way too much because it has been so long since I had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.