What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all the vegetables there are in the world it's really not the end of the
Oh, of course, lol. It's just that usually if I don't like something I can say "it's the texture" or "this flavor is offputting" or whatever. I just can't identify WHY I don't like cauliflower, so I think it's a bit funny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We ended up with McD's last night, for the first time in a long time. And I have to say that it was really good. I'm a huge fry hound and I drenched my fries in malt vinegar with a bit of ketchup.

Tonight is Rotisserie-Style Chicken. I prepped it last night to put into the oven this morning at 11:30 for 5:00 dinner. It takes four to five hours for a 7-pound chicken. Not sure what we're having with it, maybe just a baked potato and some green beans. Apple pie for dessert. (Rick is stopping at the store for vanilla ice cream after he bowls.)

Recipe for the chicken is here: Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Poultry It is seriously good and will provide leftovers or the cooked chicken is easily frozen for future meals.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anniversary dinner tonight...baked salmon with onion and lemon slices,homemade noodles with alfredo sauce and steamed asparagus.Made an apple pie with a crumble topping for dessert.Pie and noodles and sauce are done so far.....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
drenched my fries in malt vinegar
I don't think I ever tried malt vinegar. Is it sweet?

Anniversary dinner tonight.
Happy Anniversary!

Breakfast: 3/4 cup Kashi cinnamon shredded wheat cereal, 1/3 cup 2% cow milk, banana chips, pecans, ground chia/flax, microwaved some vanilla almond butter & raspberry preserves, but it made it soggy. That would probably work best in oatmeal instead.

Lunch: Veggie sammich on Aldi brioche bagel toasted- 1TB mayo, 1TB stoneground mustard, garlic cheese curds, tomato, mixed greens, jalapeno kettle chips, onions, pickles. I'm surprised I got all that on it without it breaking! :thumbsup:

Dinner: Snack plate- saltine crackers, jalapeno kettle chips, pickles, garlic cheese curds, 1 sliced hard boiled egg, pecans, banana chips, carrot sticks, 3TB bean dip. I should have microwaved this bean dip. It tastes terrible cold.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just realized the baked chicken recipe has an instructional video. It's still way more than 1 tablespoon of oil in the bowl as the person is whisking the mixture. I posted a comment asking if the oil amount was correct because all I could get was barely paste-like (yes, I did measure correctly with measuring spoons) but I guess it's still waiting for moderation before it is posted.

I had one of the leftover chicken thighs for dinner along with some garlic butter pasta I made to have for lunch this week. And a French roll.

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Happy Anniversary!

Breakfast: 3/4 cup Kashi cinnamon shredded wheat cereal, 1/3 cup 2% cow milk, banana chips, pecans, ground chia/flax, microwaved some vanilla almond butter & raspberry preserves, but it made it soggy. That would probably work best in oatmeal instead.

Lunch: Veggie sammich on Aldi brioche bagel toasted- 1TB mayo, 1TB stoneground mustard, garlic cheese curds, tomato, mixed greens, jalapeno kettle chips, onions, pickles. I'm surprised I got all that on it without it breaking! :thumbsup:

Dinner: Snack plate- saltine crackers, jalapeno kettle chips, pickles, garlic cheese curds, 1 sliced hard boiled egg, pecans, banana chips, carrot sticks, 3TB bean dip. I should have microwaved this bean dip. It tastes terrible cold.
Thank you!It has been a beautiful day and dinner was great!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's very. . .vinegary, lol. If you've ever had salt and vinegar potato chips, that's the kind of vinegar they use.

The only restaurant that has malt vinegar around here is Culver's. They have little single-serve packets. I like to mix it with the ketchup to make it less sweet but I don't really like it by itself.

On the subject of things made of cauliflower, I found this meme :D.
158228786_10221114274589764_786972794886410383_n.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love eating French fries with salt and malt vinegar, but I don't eat ketchup so I need something.

My in-laws were in yesterday for a visit (after being vaccinated, tested, and quarantining just in case) and my MIL brought in food. Last night we had chicken and dumplings, plus corn, and a blondie brownie for dessert, and tonight I had leftover butternut squash soup (yesterday's lunch) with cornbread and the leftover corn. And another brownie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Malt vinegar is not sweet. You can definitely taste the vinegar, but it also has a neat malt-y taste to it. Like W Willowy said, try a salt and vinegar potato chip. Although I've been known to sprinkle a bit of malt vinegar on my baked potatoes, too. I love the stuff. But I'm a vinegar hound as it is. We have a lot of different vinegars around here.

Happy Anniversary to lizzie lizzie and to Mr. Lizzie! :redheartpump:

Our chicken was yummy last night. We ended up with the rest of the mac and cheese from last Thursday and I made some green beans to go with. It's been months since we had ice cream and man, that vanilla bean ice cream was wonderful with our apple pie.

I'm thinking leftover chicken will be used tonight for chicken and waffles.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've ever had salt and vinegar potato chips, that's the kind of vinegar they use.
I had those chips last week! I liked them much better when I was a kid, now I prefer spicy chips. I'll have to try a fry dipped in vinegar.

Yuck on the cookies, but I've always wanted to try this Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse bread, but I can never find it.
1615249227467.png

Breakfast: Kashi cinnamon shredded wheat cereal, 1/3 cup 2% cow milk, threw 2TB raspberry preserves on top. It was good, but the preserves clashed with the milk a little bit.

Lunch and Dinner were just snack plates. I need to watch some videos on making snack plates/boards. I think I'm combining too many flavors and they clash.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That chicken recipe is still bugging me :gaah: How much oil do you think is in the bowl with the dry seasonings? Winchester Winchester

It has to be way more than 1 tablespoon because the mixture is liquidy and pourable and evenly coats 6 drumsticks.

I barely get paste with 1 tablespoon of oil which is obviously not going to cover even 1 drumstick. I went through the comments and not one person had any issue with the amount of oil or getting al the chicken coated :headscratch: There was a comment asking how to adapt the recipe for 30 drumsticks and the reply was to use 1/4 cup of oil and just double the dry seasoning amounts.

My comment hasn't been posted yet :dunno: Not sure if it's still waiting for moderation or the person is just ignoring it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very Happy Anniversary to both of you! :beerchug:

I couldn't think what to make for dinner for myself last night so just had avocado toast with tomato, zucchini, spinach leaves and half a slice of swiss melted on top. Tonight I think it will be some type of pasta.
Thank you Neely.We had a great day!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Malt vinegar is not sweet. You can definitely taste the vinegar, but it also has a neat malt-y taste to it. Like W Willowy said, try a salt and vinegar potato chip. Although I've been known to sprinkle a bit of malt vinegar on my baked potatoes, too. I love the stuff. But I'm a vinegar hound as it is. We have a lot of different vinegars around here.

Happy Anniversary to lizzie lizzie and to Mr. Lizzie! :redheartpump:

Our chicken was yummy last night. We ended up with the rest of the mac and cheese from last Thursday and I made some green beans to go with. It's been months since we had ice cream and man, that vanilla bean ice cream was wonderful with our apple pie.

I'm thinking leftover chicken will be used tonight for chicken and waffles.
Thank you Pam!We had a great day!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has to be way more than 1 tablespoon because the mixture is liquidy and pourable and evenly coats 6 drumsticks.
Usually recipes call for 1TB oil per serving, don't they? How many servings was the recipe?

Just a simple dinner of pot pies
Yum! My favorite, savory pies are much better than desserty ones.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually recipes call for 1TB oil per serving, don't they? How many servings was the recipe?

It's for 6 drumsticks. That could be 6 servings or maybe just 3 if the drumsticks are on the small size. The recipe just says to mix the 1 tablespoon of oil with the dry seasonings in a bowl and add all the drumsticks and toss to coat. I'm not getting how 1 tablespoon of oil is enough to make a nice liquid-y marinade as shown in the recipe's pictures and video :headscratch: It's more like 1/4 cup of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.