What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three days of mostly off and some hands on effort and tonight get to dinner.

Day one: rub meaty pork neck bones with salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh thyme leaves pulled off stem, snipped fresh rosemary leaves. Refrigerate.

Day two: quick soak dry navy beans with hot water. Leave for a couple of hours. Dry off pork, sear. Remove from pan, turn down heat and saute sliced onion. Return pork, drained beans, a can of crushed tomatoes, enough water to cover everything. Stir around, turn down heat, cover pot and walk away, leaving it on it's own for hours and hours. Just before bedtime put pot outdoors - it's chilly enough.

Day three (that's today if you are keeping track): bring pot inside. Fish out pork, slice off bones and cut into smaller pieces. Lay in two individual casserole dishes. Add pieces of par-cooked quartered carrot (it was a very large carrot.) Cover with beans and several spoonfuls of liquid. Think about little dumplings . . . nah. Make fresh bread crumbs, top casseroles, add dabs of rendered duck fat. Into 350 degree Fahrenheit toaster oven. Walk away. Browning too quickly so cover with tin foil.

And 45 minutes later we had a really delicious wintertime meal. And I have ample beans and juices to "feed the freezer" for other meals.
Total hands on time probably less than 2 hours.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight is my monthly dinner with the ladies. It was my turn to pick a restaurant so we're doing Italian. There are a lot of vegetarian items on the menu so I'm looking forward to it.
Last night I ordered Rolled Eggplant - eggplant stuffed with ricotta, romano, spinach and mozzarella, topped with a homemade marinara sauce, served with a side of spaghetti or mostaccioli and soup or salad. I chose the mostaccioli and salad, it was delicious. :yummy:

Tonight I'm thinking falafel with veggies. I thought I'd have leftovers from last night but it was so good I ate the whole thing!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had half of a Marie Callender pot pie tonight with added peas. Their pot pies seem to have more dough than vegetables.
That's a good idea to stretch it farther. The crust is the best part to me! I love it.

served with a side of spaghetti or mostaccioli
Yum! I had to look up that pasta, it looks kinda like penne. I don't think I ever had pasta with my eggplant parmesan.

Lunch: Veggie Sammich-- Dad's homemade bread toasted, 3TB Mayo, 1/2TB Hot Mama's Too Hot Habanero Sauce, Lettuce, Tomato, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, 1TB Pumpkin Seeds, Heinz Hot Dog Relish, Slice BJs Medium Cheddar Cheese

Dinner: Huge Dinner Plate Salad-- Lettuce, Tomato, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, Aldi Tropical Trail Mix, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, 1TB Pumpkin Seeds, 3TB Thousand Islands Dressing, Heinz Hot Dog Relish, Late July Chia Quinoa Tortilla Chips, finished up the Hot Mama's Too Hot Habanero Sauce, Chia/Flaxseed Mix, Parmesan Cheese.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got invited to an early afternoon anniversary celebration up at the neighbors,so dinner was a grilled cheese sandwich,and I've been crunching on some wonderful radishes from the farmers market.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch: Veggie Sammich- Dad's Homemade Bread Toasted, 3TB Mayo, 1TB Heinz Hot Dog Relish, 1 Pinch Carolina Reaper Superhot Powder, Lettuce, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, Slice BJs Medium Cheddar Cheese, 1TB Pecans, 1TB Pumpkin Seeds. I really liked the Pecans on my Sammich! Yum.

Dinner: French Toast with Maple Syrup and Canned Cranberry Sauce.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We met two other couples for dinner last night, it was last minute plans but sometimes those are the best. I had linguini with spinach & broccoli in garlic/olive oil but told them easy on the oil. I hate when it's swimming in oil. :hmmm: DH had chicken parmesan and liked it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two frozen Wegman's vegetable egg rolls. They were very good. It is hard to find vegetarian egg rolls. Spring rolls, yes, but not the egg rolls. I had to go downstairs to the lounge and sneak some of their packs of soy and sweet and sour sauce for the egg rolls. For dessert I will have some green grapes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a tapas place, and they were very good working with my food restrictions.
What kind of food? Is that where they give you several courses on different plates? I would hate that, since I like to measure my food all on one dinner plate.

Two frozen Wegman's vegetable egg rolls.
Do you eat eggs now?

Lunch: Veggie Sammich-- Dad's homemade bread toasted, mayo, horseradish mustard, pecans, 1 hard boiled egg, lettuce, tomato, pumpkin seeds. Not as good without the Carolina Reaper powder I had on it yesterday! But I wanted to see how hot the horseradish mustard was on its own.

Dinner: Annie's Gluten Free Mac & Cheese with half a can of peas and 1/2TB Sriracha Hot Sauce.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of food? Is that where they give you several courses on different plates? I would hate that, since I like to measure my food all on one dinner plate.
They were different small dishes that came out on separate plates, but most of them arrived at the same time.

Made a daiya mac n cheeze with vegetarian bacon bits as well. J really liked it, but I only thought it was so so.

Status
Not open for further replies.