rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
and here's a link to a vintage recipe from an 1883 cookbook

Moonlight Cake (1883)
Did you guys look at the ingredients in that recipe? "20 whites of egg" :eek2:
Separating one egg is hard enough, so can't imagine doing it 20 times! And then what would you do with 20 egg yolks? :headscratch:

Sliced up the toast in squares so I could spear an apple dice with each forkful. Yum!
Sounds yummy. Diced cheese and a piece of apple on each forkful is yummy too. 🧀🍎

I bought a bag of avocados so made a smashed avocado on multigrain toast with tomato, spinach leaves and swiss cheese
That sounds yummy too. And reminded me I meant to buy an avocado when I was at the store yesterday. Next time...

I am too upset to cook!My fridge that I bought 3 years ago brand new shot craps today
Oh, no. Hopefully it won't cost too much to repair.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I looked at the recipes before I linked to them, rubysmama rubysmama which also includes a pound of butter and generous quantities of other ingredients. You could reduce the recipe by half. I don't find separating eggs that much of a hassle. And there is, I believe, a device that you can crack an egg into and separate it. For extra yolks - egg custards come to mind. Both yolks and whites can be frozen, though whites will not whip as well as never frozen.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie , what's your fridge brand? The reason I'm asking is because we have a Samsung (also known as a Samsuck) and have been having nothing but trouble. If you have a SS, message me. People are really going to town against SS to get their money back. Both SS and LG are not good fridges. Nope, no, nada.
(And yes, if you don't mind, I'd like your recipe for the Moonlight Cake, please.)

I don't have a problem separating eggs; when I make an angel food cake, I use a full cup of egg whites.

Tonight will be either Freschetta pizza or grilled pork chops. Haven't decided yet.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lizzie lizzie , what's your fridge brand? The reason I'm asking is because we have a Samsung (also known as a Samsuck) and have been having nothing but trouble. If you have a SS, message me. People are really going to town against SS to get their money back. Both SS and LG are not good fridges. Nope, no, nada.
(And yes, if you don't mind, I'd like your recipe for the Moonlight Cake, please.)

I don't have a problem separating eggs; when I make an angel food cake, I use a full cup of egg whites.

Tonight will be either Freschetta pizza or grilled pork chops. Haven't decided yet.
Can we add Frigidaire to your list?Yeah...I am still in shock!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Separating one egg is hard enough, so can't imagine doing it 20 times! And then what would you do with 20 egg yolks? :headscratch:

Lots of things you can use egg yolk for, besides offering one to a cat for hairball purposes:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tri-color rotini pasta with canned salmon, sliced black olives, sauteed onion, and green peas.

This is a several months back NY Times cooking from your pantry recipe in the early days of the pandemic (the green peas are my addition.) I tried it, a little dubiously, when I first saw it. And we like it well enough that it shows up on the dinner table now and again.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie Frigidaire. Yeah, I'm a little surprised at that. Many people who are getting rid of their Samsungs are getting Frigidaire. When we bought our SS, we were told then that appliances are now built to last about five years tops. I hope you can find something you like. (And thank you!)

We were going to have grilled pork chops last night. But Rick started craving mac and cheese. (Bob came in yesterday for his mac and cheese, but Rick saw it when it was setting up on the kitchen counter. And that was all it took.) So I made another pan for dinner last night. I can't complain about mac and cheese; I love the stuff, too.

The grilled pork chops that we didn't have last night will be on our menu. Not sure about sides.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure... I ordered just a plain salad...

Yesterday I tried the chicken part... so bad.. I took one tiny taste, and had to throw it out. Honestly, I do not know what they do their food..
The sauce was so tinny, bitter tasting... no flavor at all.. acid, bitter, you could actually taste the tin can.. poor quality..

The soup~ what soup... dishwater, with carrots and onions... nothing else.. it was supposed to be winter barley soup... OMG>. so bad...

With Covid hanging around.. This is not a time to start going around, to grocery stores, for food stuff.. I have a ton of nonperishables in here.. but for when it gets really bad--weather and Covid.. never know...

Anyway... that is my dilemma...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight was just heated up leftovers...I am too upset to cook!My fridge that I bought 3 years ago brand new shot craps today.Oh yeah...it's a Monday!
I have a Frigidaire heat pump that I brought 13 years ago and I never had a problem with it. I do need to replace it now because it is leaking freon. I have a Kenmore fridge that is 18 years old. I never had a problem with it but I need a new one now because the motor is going bad. I had a Maytag dishwasher but I had so many problems with it I got rid of it after two years.

For dinner last night I had white rice and a salad with just lettuce. I added my own
beans and swiss cheese for protein.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heated up the leftover ham steak,etc. from last night and fixed myself a couple of pieces of toast.I had one piece with almost the last of the elder-razz jam and the other with a drizzle of honey and a hot cup of tea.It's cold and rainy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.