What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our tomato galette was good last night. Rick is eating the leftovers for lunch as I type. We had it with sauteed yellow squash.

Pizza tonight. I still have to make the dough. A hoagie pizza....no meat. Dear Richard is not amused. I said, "Fine. Go down to the freezer and find something you want me to put on the pizza!" "No, no, meatless is fine." Men!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another meal pulled out from the freezer, lemon rosemary chicken. Tomorrow I might cook something.

Does anyone have a good eggplant recipe that isn't eggplant lasagna or anything like that or grilled or fried? Something easy to make on the stove top. The only eggplant dish mom would ever make had a whole can of baby clams (liquid and all) and a heaping spoonful or two of a super salty Asian condiment plus more salt added. One little spoonful was like a year's worth of recommended salt intake for an average person :barfgreen: The dish was also visually unappealing, a dirty gray color.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gee, LTS3 LTS3 , your mom cooked eggplant like mine cooked Brussels sprouts! Took me till I was just past 60 to realize that I actually LIKE the little cabbage abortions when they are slice in half lengthwise and sautéed in bacon drippings with a handful of slivered almonds!

Tonight...Probably I don't know. I'm not craving anything right now. Fried egg sandwich? Hoppin' John? Actually that sounds GOOD! Hoppin' John on rice, it is!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a good eggplant recipe that isn't eggplant lasagna or anything like that or grilled or fried?
Ratatouille? Also a good way to use up a lot of zucchini. I made some the other day and it was delish. I used an Instant Pot recipe but this one looks easy enough on stovetop:
Recipe: Easy French Ratatouille

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Eggplant is something I can't eat. My MIL made ratatouille for us one time. She told me I HAD to take one bite. I did and gagged on it. I don't know why; it's not appealing to me in the slightest.

I made a thinner-crust pizza last night. Rick really liked it, but I like a thicker, chewy crust. Other than that, it was good. Lettuce, caramelized onions, sauteed peppers, and grape tomatoes. With plenty of basil, oregano, and marjoram. Mozz and shredded Parm.

I'm thinking pork chops. With a bit of red wine sauce. And maybe some mashed potatoes. The inevitable yellow squash. I'm debating whether I want to make a small shoo-fly cake this morning. Rick is hungry for something sweet and was tearing the kitchen apart last night.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mom wasn't a very good cook :headshake: Meat would be overcooked and dry and rubbery / tough and super salty. Veggies would be either tough or mushy and super salty. Nothing had any flavor so soy sauce and cooking oil got poured over every dish at the table. :barfgreen: Dad wasn't any better and he worked as a line cook in the food service industry, too :rolleyes:

Tonight I'm cooking this https://www.thekitchn.com/beef-and-shells-22959477

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Busy day today,so no cooking for me.Started a gigundo batch of sweet dill pickles yesterday(soaked them in lime water overnight) and finished them up today,got them processed...18 quarts:)Dinner tonight was Mrs. Woods fried chicken,their potato salad and he had pickled beets and I had some sliced cucumber.I will be so sad when the cukes are done.They have outstanding flavor and have produced wonderfully!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast- small diced apple & Honey Bunches of Oats french vanilla almond granola, with regular cow milk.

Lunch- veggie sammich- Great Value wheat bread toasted, mayo, hot sauce, lettuce, tomato, sliced cucumber, sliced zucchini, almonds, cheese. Love this bread, it is so huge! Thanks neely neely I think you are the one who recommended raw zucchini for my sammiches?

Dinner- tried to make a stir-fry, but I don't think the heat was high enough. I cooked it on medium. Medium-high tastes better, but the hot oil flies out of the pan all over my new clothes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks neely neely I think you are the one who recommended raw zucchini for my sammiches?
Dinner- tried to make a stir-fry, but I don't think the heat was high enough. I cooked it on medium. Medium-high tastes better, but the hot oil flies out of the pan all over my new clothes.
Yap, that was me. :blush: In fact I also made a veggie sandwich for lunch today - multigrain bread with roasted red pepper hummus, spinach leaves, tomato, zucchini and melted slice of baby swiss cheese on top.
Ugh, I hate to use oil for the same reason and try to avoid recipes with it as much as possible.

Dinner was leftover veggie chili with spinach leaves, an almond milk ice cream sandwich and honeycrisp apple for dessert.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I took a boneless, skinless chicken breast out of the freezer this morning. Will split it in half, lengthwise, season, and then throw it into the Foodi Grill. Sliced into strips to be served atop a veggie salad. With breadsticks. Shoo-fly cake for dessert.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had dinner at lunchtime today. Why? Because a local fire company had one of their inimitable barbecue-for-sale today - whole or half rack of spare ribs, barbecue chicken quarters. None of the usual side dishes, barbecue only. Pre-order on-line, prepay or pay on site but exact amount only. Very well set up - driveway divided for entrance / exit. Swing around, pull up by open sided canopy. Give name, pay if not prepaid, someone hands over your order, and leave.

I had made some coleslaw this morning. Had mashed potato left from last night, to which I added a beaten pullet egg, some flour, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda. Fried up as little potato cakes, quite nice.

Told Himself to expect something light for supper.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast- Cinnamon Raisin Bagel with Jem Coffee Cashew Almond Butter and half a fresh peach on the side. The coffee almond butter looked and tasted like chocolate! Weird because it had no chocolate in it.

Lunch- Veggie Sammich on Great Value multi-grain bread toasted. I love this bread, it's huge!
Mayo, hot sauce, cheese, swiss chard, tomato, cucumber, sliced almonds, flax and chia seeds, and I threw the other half of my fresh peach on there. That was weird, but kinda good.

Dinner- tried to make a stir-fry again, but it tasted like crap.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick found two ears of corn in the garden yesterday. Brought them down and husked them; they looked good, if a bit on the small side. I threw them in the Foodi Grill, along with the sliced chicken breast. Yum! They had the texture and taste of dried corn from being grilled. Good stuff.

Not sure about tonight. Probably something we'll grab from the grocery store today.

Status
Not open for further replies.