What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two nights ago I had a toasted cheese, tomato and onion sandwich.

Last night I had one of my big salads using the bagged romaine mix, topped with chopped apples, raisins, cheese and walnuts.

Not sure about tonight, but unless it's gone too soft, I have a green pepper to use, so something that will work with that. Possibly my red kidney beans and rice recipe.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night was just hot dogs with a side of fries. Night before was stuffed pork chops, side of veggies, and some applesauce. Tonight is "make your own" pizza night. I notice as the week goes on, the less extravagant dinners get. :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our BLTs last night were TDF! So good. I swear I could sit and eat a fresh tomato like people would eat an apple.

Not sure about tonight, although Rick said he'd gladly chow down on another sandwich.

Kat0121 Kat0121 You're right about ham loaf. It's good stuff and a lot of people don't realize that there is such a thing. We don't have it very often and it hit the spot with enough leftover for a sandwich for lunch the next day.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our BLTs last night were TDF! So good. I swear I could sit and eat a fresh tomato like people would eat an apple.

Not sure about tonight, although Rick said he'd gladly chow down on another sandwich.

Kat0121 Kat0121 You're right about ham loaf. It's good stuff and a lot of people don't realize that there is such a thing. We don't have it very often and it hit the spot with enough leftover for a sandwich for lunch the next day.
I haven't had it in ages. Mom used to make it many years ago. I remember her putting the ham through a meat grinder. They don't sell it here and I don't have a meat grinder. I may buy an attachment for the KA one day.

Last night was another roasted chicken leg quarter. Green beans with almonds on the side. No idea about tonight. Stouffer's was on sale over the weekend. Maybe a mac & cheese and a veggie of some sort.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had it in ages. Mom used to make it many years ago. I remember her putting the ham through a meat grinder. They don't sell it here and I don't have a meat grinder. I may buy an attachment for the KA one day.
Our local butcher still sells ham loaf. You can either get it as just ground ham or you can get it with a combination of ground ham, ground veal, and ground pork. We usually get just the ground ham and I make it up from that. I bet that was the first time in a couple of years.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local butcher still sells ham loaf. You can either get it as just ground ham or you can get it with a combination of ground ham, ground veal, and ground pork. We usually get just the ground ham and I make it up from that. I bet that was the first time in a couple of years.
I think it's mainly a PA Dutch thing. I grew up in NY. I don't remember where mom got the recipe from but whenever I mentioned it, most people had never heard of it. I don't think I've had it since the 70's. Good stuff. I'm pretty sure she used to put pineapple rings on top when it was baking.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I think it's mainly a PA Dutch thing. I grew up in NY. I don't remember where mom got the recipe from but whenever I mentioned it, most people had never heard of it. I don't think I've had it since the 70's. Good stuff. I'm pretty sure she used to put pineapple rings on top when it was baking.
Around here, if you buy it in a grocery store, sometimes it will have pineapple rings. We buy ours in bulk, 1-1/2 pounds in a bag, from the butcher. And I just glaze it with brown sugar and mustard.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a recipe for olive salad if you'd like it,then you can make your own!
Yes, PLEASE! Either post here, or PM, whichever is better for you! Not quite the same as going to NOLA and sitting there, but any port in a storm!

I swear I could sit and eat a fresh tomato like people would eat an apple.
I can, have, and will again. I've also eaten raw corn on the cob, JUST picked and hot from the sun. It's GREAT!

Tonight, the mac and cheese extravaganza once more! I don't want it sitting in the fridge. I know I could freeze it, but...it's better fresh.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, PLEASE! Either post here, or PM, whichever is better for you! Not quite the same as going to NOLA and sitting there, but any port in a storm!

I can, have, and will again. I've also eaten raw corn on the cob, JUST picked and hot from the sun. It's GREAT!

Tonight, the mac and cheese extravaganza once more! I don't want it sitting in the fridge. I know I could freeze it, but...it's better fresh.
Olive Salad
1 T minced garlic 1/4 c red wine vinegar 1/2 c olive oil 1/4 green olive juice 1 T lemon juice red chili flakes to your liking 1 t black pepper 1 carrot,peel and finely diced 1/2 c canned black olives chopped 1/2 c green olives chopped 1/2 c roasted red pepper (I buy the jarred) 1/2 c finely diced celery 1 jar mild (or hot if you prefer) giardinera chopped 1/2 c marinated artichoke hearts I just toss it all together and let it set for awhile so those flavors mingle.I also like about 1/4of a jar of capers (not the salted) in mine,but not everybody is a caper fan.This is supposed to be close to the Central Grocery recipe...it's yummy,and keeps well in the fridge.Enjoy!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Olive Salad
1 T minced garlic 1/4 c red wine vinegar 1/2 c olive oil 1/4 green olive juice 1 T lemon juice red chili flakes to your liking 1 t black pepper 1 carrot,peel and finely diced 1/2 c canned black olives chopped 1/2 c green olives chopped 1/2 c roasted red pepper (I buy the jarred) 1/2 c finely diced celery 1 jar mild (or hot if you prefer) giardinera chopped 1/2 c marinated artichoke hearts I just toss it all together and let it set for awhile so those flavors mingle.I also like about 1/4of a jar of capers (not the salted) in mine,but not everybody is a caper fan.This is supposed to be close to the Central Grocery recipe...it's yummy,and keeps well in the fridge.Enjoy!
That sounds really good. I love olives. I'd eat that with a spoon. :yummy: :lol:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what's for dinner tonight. I've got a 5:30pm appointment to finish up Boone and Gracie's baby shots. Will the drive-thru for dinner. I'm leaning towards Roy Rogers. I swear that is the best under-rated fast food place. Plus I live in the country so my choices are limited.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure what's for dinner tonight. I've got a 5:30pm appointment to finish up Boone and Gracie's baby shots. Will the drive-thru for dinner. I'm leaning towards Roy Rogers. I swear that is the best under-rated fast food place. Plus I live in the country so my choices are limited.
I didn't know Roy Rogers was still around. Do they still have the fried chicken? We used to eat it back in the 80's. So good. WAY better than KFC. If they do have it, have a piece for me!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know Roy Rogers was still around. Do they still have the fried chicken? We used to eat it back in the 80's. So good. WAY better than KFC. If they do have it, have a piece for me!
Yes it's still around (at least in my area) and yes, they still have chicken. Can't do the "piece for you" though. Not a fan of fried chicken (or really any meat on a bone). Creeps me out for some reason.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Pizza. Either homemade, which will mean a sausage, mushroom, and green pepper pizza or Freshchetta (there's one in the freezer).

Now you've all done it! I'm hungry for fried chicken! (Don't you love the power of suggestion?) Anyway, I took chicken pieces out of the freezer and I'll make Cook's Country's oven-fried chicken in our cast iron pan on Saturday. Even though it's made in the oven, it's still an excellent "fried" chicken.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if this should go here or in Quarantine Baking. But do not want to double post.

Last night we had a mushroom and black olive pizza. Himself doesn't want a thin crust but also doesn't like a very thick crust. Since I use bread flour I took some of the dough and made
Bread_2020-07_focaccia.jpg
focaccia, which was baked in another cast iron frying pan at the same time as our delicious pizza. I feel so clever.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't know if this should go here or in Quarantine Baking. But do not want to double post.

Last night we had a mushroom and black olive pizza. Himself doesn't want a thin crust but also doesn't like a very thick crust. Since I use bread flour I took some of the dough and made
focaccia, which was baked in another cast iron frying pan at the same time as our delicious pizza. I feel so clever.
Oh that looks delicious. I'd be on that like a rash. :lol: :yummy:

Status
Not open for further replies.