What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I finally got around to cooking the pork loin I've had in the freezer forever. It was wrapped in apple smoked bacon slices, took only 25 minutes to cook. Then I sliced it with the slicer on the thinnest setting and I now have the most delicious pork loin sandwiches. A bit of mayo, a thick slice of tomato from the farmers market, some lettuce from the garden, yum. I'll have another for dinner and some fresh fruit, heaven!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither one of us were very hungry last night so he had an egg salad sandwich and some dill pickles and I had some cold oriental broth with veggies and sesame noodles and a few crackers.I know...weird combo but it served the purpose.Right now I am cooking some chopped pork shoulder and when it's done I'm gonna shred it,get out the bbq sauce and call it pulled pork....on a bun with some fresh cole slaw and he can finish up the rest of the potato salad if he wants.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have leftover roast beef, so I'm thinking sandwiches or maybe wraps. Rick says there's enough yellow beans in the garden, so we'll have beans with dinner tonight. And I have a recipe for potatoes that I want to try out. Coleslaw or salad.

W Willowy How did your chicken marsala turn out?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Where's M maggiedemi - has anyone heard from her? I miss her posting on this thread and Coffee & Tea Talk. 🤗

I'm defrosting chicken breast strips for DH tonight. I think I will have falafel with broccoli and cauliflower. If we do a grocery shopping today I may pick up So Delicious mini-coconut milk ice cream sandwiches for dessert since it's very hot/humid.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did your chicken marsala turn out?
It was decent, but extremely bland. I'm not sure how anything with that much onion in it could be bland but it was. And I used cooking wine, which seems to be frowned upon, I guess "real" wine would have been better. I'll try it again and see if I can pep it up a bit.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy My understanding is that "cooking wine" is salted so people won't drink it. Why it would then be used in cooking escapes me.

I keep a bottle of red vermouth and one of white vermouth on hand for cooking. Vermouth is a fortified wine so doesn't go "off" the way undrunk wine can (not a problem in my house.)

As an aside - I have a spoon rest on which is engraved: "I cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that "cooking wine" is salted so people won't drink it.
Oddly, the finished recipe wasn't salty enough, lol.

Hmm, I'll have to try the wine to see if it is salty. I wondered why it let me go through self-checkout without asking for ID, when it says it's 14% ABV.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oddly, the finished recipe wasn't salty enough, lol.

Hmm, I'll have to try the wine to see if it is salty. I wondered why it let me go through self-checkout without asking for ID, when it says it's 14% ABV.
I don't recall it ever being something you need ID to buy. I don't think it's something anyone would consider drinkable and I agree it's because of added salt. The general rule when cooking with wine is to use something you would consider drinking. I buy my marsala and sherry from the wine section of the grocery store. I'm not that big a wine drinker so I've never tasted any of them by themselves but they work great in cooking. You can get one that's not that expensive.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where's M maggiedemi M maggiedemi - has anyone heard from her? I miss her posting on this thread and Coffee & Tea Talk. 🤗
Missing you too, M maggiedemi . 🤗

Came into today after working outside all afternoon, and was starving, so needed something quick. Almost had just toast and jam, but decided to take a little bit longer and made French Toast. Had a Black Bean Brownie and a Gala apple for dessert.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy I used to use cooking wine (and thought it was very salty and, in many cases, quite bitter). I read that you should never cook with a wine that you wouldn't be willing to drink. Our local winery, Shade Mountain, has a great red wine, Proprietor's Red, that is a semi-dry red that I like to use for beef stew, pasta sauces, and whatever else. I'm sorry your chicken marsala was a little bland. Next time will be better! Try a marsala; that might make all the difference.

I think we're getting take-out tonight. With everything going on around here today, I'm not going to be in the mood for cooking. Probably just McD's or maybe pizza.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read that you should never cook with a wine that you wouldn't be willing to drink.
I'm not willing to drink any wine, lol. So I wouldn't know how to pick a good one if my life depended on it.

It was "marsala cooking wine". But yeah, I'll try "real" marsala next time.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We had a slice of ham. I made fresh green beans from the garden, just sauteed them with a dash of Trinidad Lemon Seasoning (Penzey) and I did air-crisped potatoes with smoked paprika and garlic powder spritzed with a wee bit of olive oil in the Foodi Grill.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I had one piece of leftover pasta casserole in the freezer so I heated that up in the microwave with a spinach salad on the side. It's been so hot and humid, absolutely gruesome, that I didn't have the energy to cook. DH had leftovers from the chicken breast strips I cooked on Monday so he made a sandwich with melted swiss cheese. Fresh raspberries for dessert.

Status
Not open for further replies.