What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had Papa John's pizza last night. Delivery. She had a mask on as did I. It worked and, as we were super-busy yesterday, I was grateful that we caved in and had delivery; first pizza in forever, it seems! Other than what I've made and our frozen stuff. Leftover pizza for lunch today.

Dinner tonight will be grilled chicken thighs (I'll probably do them in the Foodi Grill, so we don't have to deal with the gas grill). I made a bit of macaroni salad with the last of our small pasta shells. Remember a few weeks ago, I made cinnamon-swirl bread? Well, Dear Richard loves bread pudding....he adores the stuff. And he really loves my bread pudding because it has a very custardy bottom and he also loves custard. So I made bread pudding with slices of the cinnamon-swirl bread that I got out of the freezer this morning. Cut the slices into squares and took it from there. The kitchen smelled absolutely amazing from the pudding baking in the oven. I'm hoping it's as yummy as it looks and smells!

And now I'm down to half a box of ziti, half a box of rotini, and half a box of alphabet pasta. A container of spaghetti. And six lasagna noodles. That's it. I had 13 boxes of assorted pasta a few months ago!
The man has good taste. Bread pudding is amazing. Making stuff like that when you live by yourself is dangerous. There's no one to help you eat it. :yummy:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The chili crisp chicken turned out pretty well. The chili crisp condiment wasn't all that spicy IMO. I sampled a little bit from the jar. I had veggie tater tots with it. I didn't care for the tots. It had an odd taste that reminded me of fish :dunno: It might have been the cheese used.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't care for the tots. It had an odd taste that reminded me of fish
I've tasted that in fried foods before, and I think it's from old, not-quite-rancid oil, or from restaurants/suppliers frying fish patties in the same oil. Anyway, yuck.

Ugh I can't decide what to have tonight. I don't have the motivation to make anything, but I also don't have a lot of prepared foods around, and the ones I do have are saved for work lunches. Bah.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salisbury steak with onion and sweet red pepper. I generally use onion and mushroom but had no mushrooms and these days it's all about substituting, right?

A very plain risi bisi, with butter and the Salisbury steak pan juices

I had vanilla ice cream, Himself had the last chocolate chip cookie. Put baking more of them on tomorrow's three-list

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE tell me you got tater tots! It's the best thing about Sonic!

Tonight, hot dogs with cheese and onions! If everyone who knew this raises their hands and flaps, we can probably move the entire planet.
Actually,I'm not a tater tot fan.I always get a large fry and bring half of it home for my dogs.It's such a treat for them !But I did have a cherry limeade slush!

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
macaroni salad with the last of our small pasta shells
I've been craving macaroni salad lately. Walmart is starting to restock their pasta. We finally got spaghetti.

all lasagna ingredients but basically a casserole instead of layered)
That sounds interesting! Do you have a pic of it?

The chili crisp condiment wasn't all that spicy IMO.
I noticed that with chili pastes lately, they aren't as spicy. Maybe they are toning them down?

For lunch I had a sandwich Toasted Arnold Oatnut Bread, Mayo, Ghost Pepper Sauce, Cooked Broccoli from the garden, green onion from the garden, tomato, one sliced hard boiled egg, cheese. OMG the cooked broccoli was so good on a sandwich!

For dinner I put a bunch of leftovers on a plate, warmed in microwave. French toast casserole with syrup on it, rice, hard boiled egg, fire roasted salsa. Some of the maple syrup hit the rice and it was so good!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That bread pudding was so good! Yum! It didn't last long! Rick said I can make it that way forever and he'll be a happy man. We have some leftover macaroni salad. I'm thinking grilled shrimp with grilled pineapple and the rest of the salad.

You know, I've never been to a Sonic. There aren't any around here. I keep seeing the Sonic ads on TV and I really want to go to one.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds interesting! Do you have a pic of it?
No, sorry. Here's the recipe I used, but I used 2 cans of mushrooms instead of ground beef, also rotini because I didn'thave those fancy noodles:
Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna - Meal Plan Addict
You know, I've never been to a Sonic. There aren't any around here. I keep seeing the Sonic ads on TV and I really want to go to one.
Honestly, I don't care for their food. I'll eat there if I have to but haven't found anything I want on a regular basis. Their drinks/shakes/ice cream concoctions, though, are terrific!
Ghost Pepper Sauce,
What brand do you have? I have Melinda's, and it's potent! Just a drop or 2 will do it for me. Very good flavor though.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That bread pudding was so good! Yum! It didn't last long! Rick said I can make it that way forever and he'll be a happy man.
Rick is obviously a smart guy, I love bread pudding too! :thumbsup:

Friends who live in the neighborhood are coming over this afternoon to social distance and chat on our driveway so dinner will be something easy, i.e. veggie quinoa burgers and not sure of a side dish yet.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That bread pudding was so good! Yum! It didn't last long! Rick said I can make it that way forever and he'll be a happy man. We have some leftover macaroni salad. I'm thinking grilled shrimp with grilled pineapple and the rest of the salad.

Their food for the most part is meh. The tots are good but I know you don't like tots. Their drinks are where they really shine. Their slushes are amazing. My favorite is the strawberry. it has pieces of the berries in it. DD likes their shakes.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh my...if you ever get the chance!Their food is cooked fresh and the way you order it,but to me their drinks are what make them.I love a good slush,and they also have a cream slush where they add vanilla ice cream.I'm not an ice cream fan but.....and their prices are reasonable,at least around here.Service is pretty quick too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the recipe I used, but I used 2 cans of mushrooms instead of ground beef
Thanks. That sounds good. I haven't tried our Instant Pot yet. But dad uses it all the time.

What brand do you have? I have Melinda's, and it's potent! Just a drop or 2 will do it for me.
The brand is Tropical Pepper Co... I used half a Tablespoon! I nearly melted my face off, which was quite enjoyable. :lol:

Lunch was a sandwich- toasted Arnold Oatnut bread, mayo, ghost pepper sauce, radishes and spinach from the garden, tomato, one hard boiled egg, cheese. The radishes were so yummy and fresh tasting!

Dinner was Bear Naked Peanut Butter Granola with pineapple and Oat Milk. The pineapple tasted a little weird on cereal. The peanut butter cereal was amazing though!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Same here. There's no Sonic in the entire state but the ads keep playing on tv all the time:dunno: Red Lobster is the same. The closest restaurant is several states away.

I had one of the leftover chili crisp chicken thighs for dinner.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beer battered shrimp and onion rings, with a cold side of black beans, corn, rice, embellished with diced red pepper and red onion, with Goya Sazon to season it.

Beer to drink. I mean, you don't use the whole bottle to make the batter. And if one of us finished the bottle off, why the other one of us had a bottle of their own.

Dessert - the chocolate chip cookies were baked, so he had one and I had vanilla ice cream.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I had falafel with broccoli for dinner, strawberries and bananas for dessert. I bought a jar of tahini sauce at Trader Joe's to have with the falafel but unfortunately was very disappointed. 👎 I'm used to the tahini sauce at a restaurant where I order their falafel sandwich so I may have to ask if I can buy it there.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a jar of tahini sauce at Trader Joe's to have with the falafel but unfortunately was very disappointed.
Maybe you can add something to it, to make it taste better?

Lunch and dinner were the same thing. A veggie burger crumbled and cooked up in hot sauce and olive oil on the stovetop. Then a coffee mug full of Bear Naked Peanut Butter Granola. At lunch I had regular milk on it, at dinner I had vanilla almond milk on it.

I've been experimenting, and the veggie burger tastes so much better when I crumble it into tiny pieces like ground beef, instead of leaving it in chunks. It tastes similar to real meat that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.