Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'll admit I've never had arugula
It's wonderful, I think you would like it. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Last night I had the last of my veggie chili leftovers with brown rice. Walnuts mixed with dark chocolate chunks for dessert. Not yet sure about dinner tonight. Since the weather has been sunny and mild I know I'll be outdoors so dinner will be something quick and easy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought the Lao Gan Man brand of chili crisp oil. Amazon sells it but be careful because the brand makes several other very similar products. You want the one that says Spicy Chili Crisp. Some Amazon sellers have one product page but several product options to buy so read carefully. Prices vary for the same sized jar. I think the jar I bought was just $5 at the Asian market. There are "family sized" jars available and bulk packages.

There's also the artisanal (and expensive) Sichuan Chili Crisp at Sichuan Chili Crisp which doesn't contain preservatives and MSG.

Or try making your own from the recipes I posted above or from any other recipe online :)

More leftover pasta tonight.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
It has been miserably cold here today. Yes, this is the high desert and it is the middle of June and it was 90+ just two days ago. So why was it 39F last night and high of 50 today? The wind is still blowing at 26 mph too. My central heat is on, I'm wearing leggings and leg warmers and socks, a sweater and I am still cold. I need hot chocolate, what should I have for dinner? I was looking forward to a nice big salad with home grown lettuce, cukes, avocados and tomatoes from the farmers market but now just thinking of that makes me cold. So I think it will be some kind of canned soup that I keep for cooking and maybe half a ham sandwich with avocado for dinner and then cuddle up on the sofa with Capucchino, Chamouti and a hot toddy for some serious TV watching, no news, maybe Hallmark Mysteries.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I sliced the leftover beef tips last night. Sauteed some onion, sliced potatoes and threw them in the mix and added some peppers. When the potatoes were almost fried, I threw the beef tips into the mix. Then made "nests" and dropped four eggs into the nests. Don't laugh; it was actually good. Rick loved the stuff.

Tonight? Crap. Back to not having a clue. We have brats in the freezer as well as hotdogs. No doubt one or the other. I'm tired of chicken. I'm tired of beef. I'm tired of shrimp. I'm tired of pork. I'm tired of cooking!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MAN AM I TIRED! I spent a good part of the day (because I have to sit down and rest a lot when doing "stand up" jobs) getting all the meat I bought prepared to go into the freezer. NOTHING goes in while still in its original wrapper. ALL meat gets taken out of the store package and either (depending on size) vacuum sealed or wrapped tightly in 3 layers of Clingwrap, or, in the case of ground beef, broken up into 1# servings, placed in a 1 quart ZipLoc bag, and smushed flat with ALL of the air pressed out. That way, nothing gets freezer burn. THEN I had to break up both of the BIG bags of shredded cheese into 2-cup servings, and put those in Ziploc bags, also with all of the air burped out. Yes, you can freeze cheese, but only for cooking. The texture changes, and it is no longer good for snacking on. But it is done. Along with 4 onions, 1 sliced, 1 chunked, and 2 diced,each frozen then bagged for later use in cooking. Nothing like getting the major prep work done ahead of time! Hmmmmmmm...I bet I could do that with fresh carrots and green beans, as well...

So, tonight, ham sandwiches. SO easy. Probably next week I'll bake that turkey breast for sandwiches. The Durkee sauce I ordered is sitting on the counter, calling my name!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been so oppressive here,I've not cooked.Yesterday we had leftover pizza and today was clean up the leftovers night.I guess tomorrow I have to cook but maybe it'll be a little cooler with this Cristobal thing going thru.I need to make some cookies or something too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch was cinnamon granola cereal with frozen thawed peaches and almond milk. I don't like frozen fruit! I will stick with fresh or canned.

Dinner was a huge plate of potato salad that dad made, with hot sauce on it. I know I should have cooked up a protein to go with it, but I was too tired. Dad's potato salad was so good! It had green olives in it, I never had it that way before.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There were baked beans leftover in the fridge from the other day, so I used them last night. Hollowed out two nice-sized onions, leaving a thick shell. Spooned the leftover beans into the onions, added some brown sugar and a bit of ketchup. Grilled over indirect heat for about 40 minutes or so. I made little rings of foil around each onion so they wouldn't tip. The original recipe is from Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA, but I pretty much winged it. I don't have Vidalias on hand, so I used regular cooking onions. Not bad. While I had the grill on, I did some brats, too. I get ideas from recipes, but I always end up winging it in the end.

Something pasta-y for tonight, just not sure what yet. I took some chicken thighs out of the freezer last night to thaw in the fridge. I have a cookbook, Pasta Light. I'm sure I'll find something in there that I can make with pasta, the thighs, peppers, tomatoes, etc. And if not, I'll wing it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think it is summer. Current temperature is 88 degrees Fahrenheit, down from at least 90 degrees F. The bowl of tuna and macaroni salad I made around lunchtime is nicely chilled. There's tuna and macaroni, of course, also carrot, lightly cooked in the same pot of boiling water while the macaroni was finishing, green peas, sliced celery, sliced black olives, capers, dried oregano, mayonnaise. I'll embellish with wedges of hard boiled egg when it is time to dish up. Summertime dinner.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mexican chicken from the subscription. It was ok but not something I'd order again.

Tomorrow will probably be leftovers from tomorrow's lunch, Thai pad see ew. I'm not sure how much longer the boss will buy lunches for us. Most of the restaurants and cafes in the area are still closed even though the state says they do can do take out and delivery and curbside pick up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But I always have fruit at each meal since summer fruit is delicious
You always take such a healthful but not overly so approach to mealtimes :)!

Pan fried hoki, stirfry vegetables mix and cottage cheese. Then we blew it a bit and snacked on potato chips but at least they're the lightly salted version lol

Status
Not open for further replies.