What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Breakfast was oatmeal with maple syrup & blueberries, tea with almond milk
lunch was a big bag of popcorn!!! I am so bad! and some grapes.
Supper was left over ribeye steak which became a mini steak sub... just had ketchup on it. Had a navel orange for dessert.
Decaf green tea, later.

Today: Had the same breakfast....
not sure about lunch... probably something with a cup of tea, this time with almond milk and a package of Sugar in the Raw (turbinado sugar)... some grapes as the day goes on.
Supper, a huge salad... without meat... an orange, tea of some sort.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That French onion chicken was really good! I had to make some substitutions, but I enjoyed dinner. Rick does not like chicken, so he was less than enthusiastic, but it had nothing to do with the recipe itself. I used bone-in thighs because that's what I had thawed. Regular onions (to which I added a wee bit of sugar for just a hint of sweetness). No Swiss cheese because I don't have any. After I made the sauce, I put the chicken into a casserole, threw the onions back into the sauce, mixed it together and poured it over the thighs. And baked it that way. I baked two potatoes in the Foodi Grill and threw some frozen vegetables together. Good stuff! I'm keeping the recipe and will follow it accordingly the next time. I just couldn't last night. Thanks Karen AbbysMom AbbysMom AbbysMom AbbysMom ! I think you'll like it!
Finally responding! I made this earlier this week and I agree it wan't bad. I also had to substitute a few things. Aaron thought it was a little bland, but he prefers everything super spicy.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch was Small Batch Blueberry Lemon Ginger Granola with diced up apple and Great Value unsweetened almond milk. Yummy combo!

Dinner was crumbled up veggie burger, spinach & swiss chard from garden, leftover potato/carrot/onion/garlic mix thrown in frying pan on stove with olive oil, gochujang paste, soy sauce, cilantro, jalapeno powder, garlic pepper salt, then a dash of sesame oil.
It was okay, but I think I need to go back to using recipes!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I made baked-in-a-hot-oven boneless skinless chicken breast with reheated rice and microwave steamed broccoli. The chicken gets a 20 to 30 minute brine before cooking. It came out very juicy and tender. Since I didn't want to heat up the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit for one lonely chicken breast I first baked one tray of chocolate chip cookies (375 degrees F.) and then did three chicken breasts, planning for leftovers. Or should I simply call the extra chicken an "ingredient."

Because that's what it was for tonight's taco dinner. Heat corn tortillas in a dry cast iron frying pan. Shred chicken and warm in microwave. Embellishments were thin sliced slivered red onion, thin sliced lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, and your choice of homemade salsa verde or thick yogurt (I had drained some of my Instant Pot yogurt so texture like sour cream) with Goya Sazon mixed in. Very nice. Better, if I had had avocados.

And there is still ingredient chicken, waiting to become chicken salad or some other tasty meal.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight? Being utterly exhausted and not even up to dicing an onion, I think a roast beef sandwich with cheddar cheese and horseradish sauce. Now, later, when I'm more energetic, I'm going to cook that rump roast I bought, freeze the drippings to make gravy with, and slice the beef and freeze in sandwich-sized portions! That way, I can do a cold sandwich, OR have an open-faced hot roast beef and gravy sandwich with minimal fuss!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leftover pasta.

This looks like a good summer mac and cheese recipe:

lizzie lizzie I love pasta salads :yummy: I like this one:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Walmart.com has chili crisp listed but it's sold out. I doubt it's sold in stores. You can make a homemade version. There are various recipes out there, some with a long list of ingredients:

Youtube has videos as well.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner tonight was

Chicken salad: diced oven-roasted chicken breast with sliced no-pit black olives, capers, sliced celery, dried oregano all bound together with mayonnaise

and

a salad of cold cooked broccoli with defrosted green peas and cut red onion. Dressing of mayonnaise thinned with ACV and a little white sugar, topped with crisp bacon, cut small

Quite nice

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
and we had grilled hot dogs with onions and cheese (he not me)
I highly approve of "he," sight-unseen. Jes' sayin'.

UM...tonight...OH OH OH CHICKEN POT PIES! Yep, they're back in the stores again!

Tomorrow I have to repackage a bunch of meat for the freezer. NEVER freeze meat in the store packaging. It has air in there, and that's what causes freezer burn! Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, at least 3 layers. Press all of the air out. It will save you a small fortune. Or do what I did, and get a Seal-A-Meal.

My instant pot is here. Must look at recipes!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I highly approve of "he," sight-unseen. Jes' sayin'.

UM...tonight...OH OH OH CHICKEN POT PIES! Yep, they're back in the stores again!

Tomorrow I have to repackage a bunch of meat for the freezer. NEVER freeze meat in the store packaging. It has air in there, and that's what causes freezer burn! Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, at least 3 layers. Press all of the air out. It will save you a small fortune. Or do what I did, and get a Seal-A-Meal.

My instant pot is here. Must look at recipes!
Sometimes I like cheese on mine and sometimes not.I won't tell you how much onion I had though:):):)

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will have to try that one...sounds really good,although I'll admit I've never had arugula.Don't know that I've seen it in the stores around here.Pasta salad is kind of one of my go to's when the weather is hot.I add a lot of chopped veggies to it,sometimes canned tuna,and all I need is sliced tomatoes or cukes or both and I call it a meal!Thank you!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took that marinated top round, cut it into large chunks, threaded them on skewers, and grilled them. Made sauteed mushrooms to top them off. Yum with the garlic mashed and green beans.

Today will be the leftovers from yesterday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night I made one of my quick and easy beans and rice meals. Will likely have another serving tonight, before freezing the rest.

Black Beans and Rice Recipe
(I follow almost exact, except don't use the broth, and use smaller amounts of the spices, and just use a can of drained and rinsed black beans, which may or may not be 3 1/2 cups)

IMG_1005.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arugula is a little peppery, the baby ones less so. I usually just buy the arugula that comes in a plastic box or bag.

A farmer's market might have bunches of arugula.

I'm sure you can swap out the arugula for another green in that recipe :agree:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the chili crisp condiment at the Asian market today. It looks really spicy. I wonder if M maggiedemi M maggiedemi would like it
That sounds amazing! I must try it. 🌶

Last night I made one of my quick and easy beans and rice meals.
That needs some sauce on it!

Yesterday's lunch- Small Batch Cherry Vanilla Bean Granola with diced apple & almond milk.

Dinner was a veggie burger cooked in olive oil & hot sauce, then mixed it into my tossed salad with thousand islands dressing. It was really good together, I was suprised!

Status
Not open for further replies.