What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Definitely a German dish! All 4 of my grandparents immigrated from there, I still have relatives over there.....
Actually I had never heard of a chicken schnitzel before someone on the catsite, a Jewish lady originally from London but lived in Tel Aviv at the time who is no longer on the site (no, she has not died) mentioned it. I asked her what that was as. I only knew Wiener Schnitzel which is made from veal, Jaegerschnitzel which has mushrooms in a thin gravy over it, Schweineschnitzel which is made from pork, but no chicken schnitzel. She said it was made the same as all the other schnitzel but a piece of chicken was used. Aha! So I had to try that and it was really good and I have made it a lot since then. How is it made? Take any of the meat mentioned, about the size of your hand, with as little fat on it as possible, a boneless pork chop works real well, a small chicken breast does too, you pound it with a mallet as thin as you can get it, 1/2 inch would be perfect, which of course makes it larger in size than your hand but will shrink a bit when cooked. You dip it in egg, then in flour, then back into the egg, then in fine breadcrumbs (I save my stale bread for that, let it dry until it is bone hard, then whir it in the blender until it is really fine), it then goes in a pan with hot butter but do not let that burn, turn down the heat and fry slowly on both sides until it is golden brown, it takes only a few minuted to each side. Wiener Schnitzel is always made with veal and is a specialty of the Austrian city of Vienna (Wien) where it is served with potatoes of any kind a green salad with vinaigrette on the side. Wiener Schnitzel is absolutely no hot dog or any kind of sausage, they stole that name and I don't think that the Viennese are happy about that.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having vegetable Lo Mein with sour cream, part of my delivery dinner, vegetable fried rice, from last night. I was going to have two spring rolls but I ate them for lunch. I love that sweet & sour sauce they give you to put on the spring rolls.

For a drink I had Gold Peak Tea (diet). It is very good. I am trying to give up diet coke.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hot dogs. Guess what with!

You know, it occurs to me that I seldom crave a particular food, but I DO crave condiments! That's what drives my food choices. If I were out of hot dogs, I'd be just as happy with a toasted cheese and onion sandwich. Craving tartar sauce, grab the fish sticks. Honey mustard? OOH! A CHOICE! Either corn dogs OR chicken nuggets. Sour cream? Taquitos or chimichangas. And I eat salads mostly for the dressings, even though I don't use a lot of dressing on any one salad. Yep, I'm condiment driven! In fact, if it were socially acceptable, and not medically inadvisable, I could almost live on the condiments themselves.
Me too. My late DH used to complain that our fridge was half filled with condiments. What can I say? I like my condiments. I bought frozen fried shrimp and calamari today because they were BOGO at Publix. I got a bottle of extra spicy cocktail sauce and a bottle of remoulade sauce to go with. Yum.

I was going to get a sub from Jimmy John's tonight but DD wanted buffalo chicken mac & cheese from Wawa so I went there and got that for her plus a cheesesteak sub with provolone cheese, sauteed onions, raw onions, sweet peppers and jalapenos for me. :yummy:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I like their corn soufflé a lot and their harvest apples are great too.
Your dinner sounds good. How will you prepare the shrimp and calamari?

I have 2 corn souffles in the freezer but they were out of the apples. Do you remember the
spinach souffles? I like them but can't find them.

Last night I had hot dogs with melted sharp cheddar. I ate them with a knife and fork and had
3!! oink, oink. and green beans.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your dinner sounds good. How will you prepare the shrimp and calamari?

I have 2 corn souffles in the freezer but they were out of the apples. Do you remember the
spinach souffles? I like them but can't find them.

Last night I had hot dogs with melted sharp cheddar. I ate them with a knife and fork and had
3!! oink, oink. and green beans.
I'll just bake them in the air fryer. I do remember that. They still make it. I might have to pick one up. You can search for a store that carries it near you on their website. Spinach Souffle

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll just bake them in the air fryer. I do remember that. They still make it. I might have to pick one up. You can search for a store that carries it near you on their website. Spinach Souffle
Thanks, Kat!:hugs:

Last night my dinner was chocolate ice cream, hee, hee:paperbag:
Nicole had made ribs but I'm not a huge fan so I didn't have them bring anything down.
Earlier in the day I had a scrambled egg and cheese sammie on toast, then the last of
the Fire Ranch chicken salad from Bob Evans. There was only about a cup left but it was
still good.

Not sure about today.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am quite pleased with last night's pizza. The dough is basically the same as the no-knead bread I've been making for years so I was comfortable with it. Long lead time - between mixing the dough, slow rise, flatten and refrigerate, warm to room temperature and make pizza it was three days. Could probably do in two. It is not something for "let's have pizza tonight."

I make my own spaghetti sauce so I made my own pizza sauce. Guess I'll freeze the extra - one 6-ounce jar of tomato paste and 15 ounces of crushed tomatoes make much more than one pizza's worth.

Winchester Winchester your suggestion of baking it IN the cast iron frying pan was wonderful! Bottom nicely browned, dough baked - I will need to dimple the center more vigorously next time as it rose more than I wanted. But for my first attempt at a deep dish pizza at home I am very happy. And it is a positive from the covid-19 - if not for the sequester I'd probably not have tried making pizza at home. We'd have gotten a pizza from Marinelli's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome C catapault ! I'm so glad you liked it! It's become a staple here. We love it done in the cast iron pan.

I think tonight will be leftover pot pie because last night, I made a ton. That is, if Rick doesn't eat it for lunch. If he does, then we'll make the leftover beef in pita breads (aka a Sara Moulton recipe). I'm making some pickled cabbage, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.