What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But it does sound interesting...and probably no more unhealthy than my sugar-cookie crusted pork loin with raspberry sauce...

It does sound interesting :think: The ingredients are just pork rinds and salt. You can just buy a bag or two of pork rinds and crush it up to use as crumbs instead of paying $5.99 for a box of the the exact same thing :rolleyes: Same with cornflake crumbs. Buy a giant box of cornflake cereal and crush it up yourself, adding seasonings if desired, instead of buy a smal box of "special" cornflakes crumbs that costs more than the box of cereal.

M maggiedemi I saw this about meal prepping a week's worth of vegetarian meals: Meal Prep Plan: How I Prep a Week of Vegetarian Mediterranean Diet Meals In Just 2 Hours

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my sugar-cookie crusted pork loin with raspberry sauce...
I saw a cool recipe for pasta with pumpkin sauce and it had crushed almond cookies on top. :yummy:

I saw this about meal prepping a week's worth of vegetarian meals
Thanks. I'll have to try the chickpeas in tomato sauce. Also, the beans & greens with an egg on top looks good.
Did you get your comb honey yet? 🍯

For dinner I had one of my famous salads--- lettuce, tomato, onion, red bell pepper, avocado, sunflower seeds, lentils, croutons, jalapenos, dried cranberries, cashews, kiwi, pears, swiss cheese, thousand island dressing, hot sauce.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since being out-of-town I haven't posted in this thread and I'm not going to try to catch up. ;) Instead I'll just pick up where I left off. DH had a taste for Chinese so I ordered tofu with mixed vegetables and brown rice, he had Mongolian beef. We were both extremely pleased and, best of all, there's leftovers.:yess:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Next Tuesday. Tuesdays are meal kit delivery days. I suppose I could have it delivered to home but I worry about the kit being stolen :paranoid: It's not a big deal to carry the kit home from work. I can fit everything into my insulated shopping tote bag.
Aren't those meal kits awfully expensive? I keep seeing the commercials and I thought couldn't people who don't know how to cook learn from these kits how to cook? They would see what kind of ingredients, what to do with them and how to cook them, then buy the stuff at the store and follow the same directions. I can understand how this might be convenient on a temporary basis, like due to illness or injury, but not on a permanent basis. Is it cost effective at all? And what about all the packaging, is it all recyclable and do people do that? Could someone enlighten me?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Papa John's completely screwed up our pizza. My half was supposed to be Garden Fresh vegetarian, but they did the entire thing as Dad's half- pepperoni, beef, spicy Italian sausage, mushroom, onion. There wasn't any black olives, roma tomatoes, or green peppers on it at all. I emailed them, hopefully they will make it right.

Since I couldn't eat the pizza, I ate cake and cappuccino for dinner. 🍰☕

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The meal kit (it's more of a plan than a kit I guess) I get through work is completely prepared ready to heat meals, not individual ingredients you have to use with the included recipes like the popular Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, etc. With the demographics of employees at work (lots of post-docs, grad students, senior level associates with busy families, etc), a fully prepared ready to eat meal kit makes more sense than a box of ingredients someone would have to spend half an hour or so turning into a meal by following a recipe after a long day at work.

I have a subscription but I don't request a kit every week. I just pay for each week I request a meal kit. I can get at least 2 meals out of each item so that makes it cost effective. The meals are freezable with the exception of salads and some of the add on items like fresh eggs and honey. For the weeks I don't request a kit, I just cook something easy and yummy for dinner. I'm not a great cook but can manage not making dinner inedible.

The containers in my kit are completely recyclable / reusable.

Meal kits in any form are great for busy people and, as you said, a temporary solution because of illness or something. If you prefer to cook from scratch on your own, that's great :)

:2cents:

Tomorrow I'm having pizza and french fries.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
doomsdave doomsdave That gumbo looks like wonderful stuff!

Yesterday (Sunday), I made a wee bit of pasta salad (with chopped peppers and green peas for a bit of vegetable) and then did Parmesan chicken breasts. I split a boneless breast in half (it was huge and Rick isn't a big chicken eater, so it worked) and then took it from there. It was good. With a scoop (or four) of chocolate marshmallow swirl ice cream for dessert.

Not sure about tonight yet. I didn't get anything out of the freezer, so we'll see what the grocery store has this morning.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed Papa John's and told them that I didn't have any dinner last night because they screwed up my pizza. So they gave me my next TWO pizzas free. :clap:

We had one of the free pizzas tonight and it was perfect. :)
I got Pineapple, Mushroom, Green Pepper on my half and I put hot sauce on it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Broiled bone-in, skin on chicken thighs doused with brown sugar, grainy mustard and ponzu sauce.
Rice, plus I made some onion & mushroom white sauce to go over it
Asparagus in the microwaveable bag.

Chicken excellent, rice and sauce great, asparagus - 20 stalks / 2 minutes - they were overdone, limp and floppy

For dessert I had the last oatmeal craisin pecan cookie and Himself had the last slice of a small fruitcake.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anybody have Muffy's phone number? Somebody could call her and find out what's going on?
Her fist name is Ellen and she lives in Baltimore. We could call the hospitals but they wouldn't let us speak
with her unless we had her last name because of HIPAA. I am worried as well.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Will post some meals I've had recently as I am way behind.

Sausage, gravy and biscuits
Antipasti salad x 2
Ruben Sandwiches with extra Swiss and sauerkraut, soo good!!
Mashed potatoes, homemade noodles, stuffing and chicken all in one bowl from an Amish restaurant
Eggs and bacon
Scrambled egg and cheese on toast
Tuna salad
Egg Salad
Brussel sprouts via Nicole
Asparagus via Nicole
Green beans
Several green salads with cukes, carrots, tomatoes, etc via Nicole
Steak, baked potato, green beans, salad, and chocolate cake on Sunday night Nicole
Cornbread, tuna salad yesterday, and Butter Pecan ice cream

Status
Not open for further replies.