What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lunch I had a can of Cannellini Beans with butter & hot sauce on it. Am I supposed to cook these in the liquid? Because it makes them really mushy in the microwave.

For dinner I had asparagus, scalloped potatoes, lentils, with hot sauce. It was good, but the potatoes needed ketchup on them.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was just really cold and windy and although I really wanted soup,comfort food reigned so Mr. Legend's mac and cheese from the freezer,grilled polish sausage and sliced tomatoes with homemade ranch dressing.Now I think a cup of hot tea is in order!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no clue. Something VERY easy, as I broke my toe on Tuesday, and walking and standing HURT! Not even hot dogs. With snow predicted, I may just heat a can of soup!

HOWEVER...I am plotting ahead for March...going to make a devil's food cake for my birthday, replace the oil and water with cherry pie filling, and put cherry preserves between the layers. Chocolate icing, dotted with maraschino cherries. Heavily dotted. And go into a sugar coma. There's just something about the combination of chocolate and cherries that does it for me!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Am I supposed to cook these in the liquid? Because it makes them really mushy in the microwave.
Here's an excerpt from How to Cook Canned Black Beans on the Stove

To Cook Canned Beans of ANY kind, first, discard the liquid in the can and rinse the beans if the liquid is thick. While this liquid won’t hurt you, it doesn’t taste good. Add back ½ cup of water or broth and heat for at least 30 minutes on low to allow the flavors to marry. Be sure to add your favorite seasonings and some fat (like oil) to make the beans taste perfect.​

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
No Chinese food tonight. It will be sauteed greens (frozen in my freezer from my garden last summer), boiled potatoes and Hillshire Farm Sausage, not Kielbasa, with a bit of German mustard, oh yum! Desert? Maybe a glass of White Zinfandel or Pinot Grigiot while watching a bit of TV. Yes, you can freeze greens of every kind, just wash very thoroughly, then let dry completely before putting in freezer. After they are frozen carefully put in freezer bags. If you vacuum pack them after they are frozen they will last a very long time. I vacuum pack everything before it goes in the freezer and I would be lost without my food vacuum machine. It saves me so much money. If anything does get spoiled it goes in the compost bucket. Nothing gets wasted here, I am so green!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cooked them in the microwave though. I guess I could do the same thing, drain, then add back fresh water.

For lunch I had a can of butter beans. I microwaved them with no water or anything, and they were really dry. I should have cooked them with butter on them maybe? I put the butter on afterwards with some hot sauce.

For dinner I had veggie pasta alfredo-- gluten free black rice pasta, Classico spinach alfredo sauce, cannellini beans, creamed spinach, peas, carrots, mushrooms, onions, red & yellow bell peppers, garlic, shredded cheese, hot sauce.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby went to town for some bone meal and cotton seed meal for the garden and came home with fried chicken!I had made a small bowl of smashed potato salad so we had that and the chicken and I sliced up a cucumber...great dinner!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The toe seems to be doing pretty well...I may try for my bacon sandwiches again! If I don't, I'll have to toss the bacon soon!
Was the bacon previously frozen? If not, you can just freeze it for later. If it was frozen before and you have it in the fridge thawing, then just toss it.

I have leftover pasta for dinner tonight and tomorrow. My next meal kit is next week. I paused the delivery for the next two weeks after that.

I saw pork rind panko-style crumbs at the supermarket today😮

20200222_082305.jpg

Doesn't seem very healthy :think:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The toe seems to be doing pretty well...I may try for my bacon sandwiches again! If I don't, I'll have to toss the bacon soon!
You can freeze the bacon even if it has been frozen before. Just cook it first. I think bacon is best when cooked in the oven. If you can (and won't be eating it right away), cook it, let it cool then portion it out and freeze it. I hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I think it will be Chinese again, Ginger Noodles with Sesame Egg Strips and Chinese Vegetables. I have not tried this yet but it sounds and looks delicious. The noodles call for rice noodles or vermicelli noodles, teriyaki sauce, sesame seeds, sesame oil, chicken broth, fresh ginger and sliced green onions; the veggies are broccoli, yellow onions cut in quarters, garlic cloves, fresh ginger, chopped spinach, snow peas fresh or frozen, sliced carrots, sliced green onions, vegetable broth and a little soy sauce, all over rice. All of the ingredients are available at my supermarket with some of it in the Asian aisle. But once you have those they can sit on the shelf, no refrigeration needed which is nice.So far I have been able to find everything in the supermarket, no need to traipse to the Asian market, YET! I'm sure I'll find something sooner or later that is too foreign to be carried by a regular store. But that goes for certain ingredients for many ethnic foods.
And my breakfast was hash browns with chopped onions, crumbled bacon and one egg over easy, so I am eating a very eclectic diet. For lunch I ate a handful of cherry tomatoes fresh from the farmers market this morning and a big piece of bread and butter, lots of butter.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We were looking for something different than our usual cold sliced deli meat for lunch so I made burgers - I took a chance and used both worcestershire and a little basalmic vinegar. They were really good - leftovers along with veggies :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was the bacon previously frozen?
It was frozen. But still had a couple of days to go before I'd have worried. Not worried at all now...LOVELY bacon sandwiches for supper last night, and the toe behaved!

Doesn't seem very healthy :think:
But it does sound interesting...and probably no more unhealthy than my sugar-cookie crusted pork loin with raspberry sauce...

Tonight? Um. I dunno, but am thinking chicken and cheese taquitos, since I forgot to take the hot dogs out to thaw!

Status
Not open for further replies.