What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody have Muffy's phone number? Somebody could call her and find out what's going on?

We split our turkey breast in half yesterday so that I could do it in the Foodi Grill. The first half was injected with a Cajun rub (I threw some Cajun rub together) in melted butter. The second half was rubbed with olive oil and then sprinkled with Ozark Seasoning (Penzey). In less than two hours, I had plenty of turkey from the breast. We stuffed ourselves yesterday with turkey, stuffing, gravy, and thymed peas. And then gobbled a couple apple dumplings for dessert.

Tonight, I'm going to make creamed turkey with vegetables and serve over simple baking powder biscuits. Yum.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody have Muffy's phone number? Somebody could call her and find out what's going on?

We split our turkey breast in half yesterday so that I could do it in the Foodi Grill. The first half was injected with a Cajun rub (I threw some Cajun rub together) in melted butter. The second half was rubbed with olive oil and then sprinkled with Ozark Seasoning (Penzey). In less than two hours, I had plenty of turkey from the breast. We stuffed ourselves yesterday with turkey, stuffing, gravy, and thymed peas. And then gobbled a couple apple dumplings for dessert.

Tonight, I'm going to make creamed turkey with vegetables and serve over simple baking powder biscuits. Yum.
That sounds so good. I leave turkey unseasoned so the girls can have some. They would not accept anything else. After I took my plate and sat down, Lilith trotted over and sat at my feet. The turkey thigh was still way too hot to handle. I told her I'd have some for her in a few minutes. She sat there and hollered until she got some. She sure can make a lot of noise for someone so small. You'd have thought she was being tortured. :rolleyes2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't give the girls any of the half-breast injected with the Cajun butter. But we did give them some of the half-breast with the olive oil and Ozark seasoning; we just dug into the breast while I was taking the meat off the bones and gave some of that. You'd think the girls hadn't been fed in weeks and they were starving. They do love their turkey. And chicken. And tuna. And.....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How did the stuffing turn out Winchester Winchester ?

I have leftovers from last night. The recipe came out pretty well. It definitely took a lot longer than the 45 minutes stated in the recipe from prep to finished dish but then again I'm slow at prep and my oven takes a long time to heat up. The Calphalon skillet was heavy to put in and take out of the oven😮 I had to be extremely cautious with it because I have gimpy carpal tunnel wrists that have a tendency to give out when I least expect it :eek2: I can't imagine how any one can move a full cast iron skillet in and out of the oven with ease :eek2:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the idea of cast iron but it's way too heavy for me.I love my calphalon as well,and use it all the time.Tonite's dinner will be leftovers from last night,including the focaccia,and I'll make another salad with onions,cucumber and tomato and a simple olive oil and vinegar dressing.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lunch I had a can of black beans heated in the microwave for 3 minutes with 1 TB of hot sauce on it. Pretty yummy!
For dinner I had 2 Gardein Fishless Filets and Asparagus cooked in the oven. 1 TB of hot sauce on everything. It was delicious!

My heat tolerance went up. Now I'm eating 1 TB instead of half a TB of hot sauce.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm attempting a Pioneer Woman recipe, Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs. I don't have a cast iron skillet like the Pioneer Woman does so I'm using my 12 inch Calphalon skillet.
It will be good, but it would be better in cast iron. It just adds something to it. I know with the first bite if cornbread has been cooked in cast iron or not. As hard as it is for me to lift my skillet and my dutch oven, I couldn't manage without them! They both came to me from my great-grandmother.

I have no clue what I'm going to make for supper. That's still between 5-6 hours away! My neighbor is just aghast that I eat between midnight and 1 AM, but I told her, "HEY! I go to bed at 6 AM. If I ate supper any earlier, IT WOULD BE BREAKFAST!" I' decide later on. But I'm feeling a bit drool-sh when I think of honey mustard, so probably something that honey mustard would be good with. LOL, YES, I've been known to plan a meal around a condiment that I happen to be craving at the moment!

I have developed a thing for bacon-wrapped hot dogs, but not tonight. NOT with honey mustard!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
espresso custard for dessert
That sounds yummy. I had a slice of Tiramisu once, which I think had coffee in it.

bacon-wrapped hot dogs, but not tonight. NOT with honey mustard!
Would honey mustard taste good on corn dogs? Or crescent dogs?

For dinner I had a meatball sandwich--Falafel veggie balls, pasta sauce, shredded cheese, TB of hot sauce, on a roll. They were really mushy tasting in the microwave. I might try some other form of cooking next time. The Gardein soy ones are fine in the microwave though. The Bertolli sauce was okay, but it was just tomato basil, I prefer veggie combo.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, tiramisu has coffee in it. Espresso, actually. I had a slice one. Big :barf:I basically just ate the frosting because the cake part had an extremely strong coffee-flavor.

Leftovers from the Pioneer Woman's recipe tonight. 6 thighs are enough for a week's worth of dinner for me. Just have to make veggies and rice or whatever.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Lean Cuisine Tuscan Lasagna frozen dinner, but I ruined it. :bawling:
I was supposed to take the plastic off the top half way through, but I forgot. It exploded all over the microwave and it was really soupy.
I should have just left it alone, but I put it back in for 2 more minutes to try to dry it up and I overcooked it and it exploded again.
That sure was fun cleaning the microwave. :mad:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I don't know if I have ever been on this forum. Lately I have taken to make Chinese food after I saw this little book at the supermarket with 45 "Chinese Favorites" in it. They are surprisingly fast and easy to make and when I made some they turned out exactly like the pictures and tasted like Chinese restaurant (not fast food Chinese) food or what I had eaten had Chinese friends' houses. So now my round-bottom 14 inch carbon steel wok is getting a workout again. I just have to cut the amounts down as I cook just for myself. I used to always cook for at least 2 and I would love to have my DIL and her son come over for dinner a lot but those two eat a very boring diet (lots of take out and fast food, ugh!) and would not eat or appreciate most of what I cook. So tonight it is Kung Pao chicken minus the dried red chiles which are too hot for me. You don't have to have a wok to cook Chinese food, just a large medium heavy pan will do fine. Everything but the rice is cooked in the same pan, the prep work is the most time consuming and one of my Chinese friends said to cook a large amount of veggies ahead of time and keep them in containers in the fridge so that the fresh ones don't spoil before I can use them. Then I can just add the right amount for the next meal. I cook each veggie separately and put it in separate containers so the different meals do not all taste the same with the same veggie and of course the different sauces I use also give each dish a different flavor. Most of the sauces are available in any supermarket but those that they don't carry and you don't have an Asian market in your area you can get on Amazon, they have everything. Any kind of veggies can be used, it does not have to be what we usually imagine as "Asian" veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.