What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor is taking me to Wal Mart tomorrow and I am going to get some of those baby cucumber's. I love them along with grape tomatoes. That will make a good salad with Ranch dressing.
I have never tried the baby cukes...maybe I should!I've been getting mine from Aldis and they've been pretty good.Tomato wise I get the "tomatoes on the vine" and let them sit in my cabinet a couple of days before I use.
I soooo miss the garden!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never tried the baby cukes...maybe I should!I've been getting mine from Aldis and they've been pretty good.Tomato wise I get the "tomatoes on the vine" and let them sit in my cabinet a couple of days before I use.
I soooo miss the garden!
Yes, I really miss my tomato garden I used to have. I just don't have the physical ability to grow them anymore. I loved those big Brandywine tomatoes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My version of chicken parm for dinner tonight. Rick brought up a huge breast yesterday from the freezer that we'll share. I'll stuff the breast with some ham slices and a bit of cheese with basil and oregano. Sear it on the stove, then throw it into the oven for a while. I'll add some pasta sauce to the mix, let that warm, then add some mozz and parmesan. To be served over a bit of spaghetti. With frozen peas, sprinkled with thyme. (If you've never tried peas with thyme, it's really good.)

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O.K. Recap on last night's dinner party.

As is my wont I went overboard. This time it was on appetizers.
Dinner Party_2020-01_appetizers.jpg
There was chicken liver pate, the pork and pheasant pate, cheddar cheese and blue cheese and a bousin-type cheese spread I made. Two kinds of olives, tiny gherkins, mustard, red grapes, raspberries. My friend brought a really excellent baguette and I had some seeded crackers. To drink there was a locally made hard cider and a sparkling non-alcoholic cider.

The entree was not very photogenic so I don't have pictures to share. Lightly sauteed thin little sticks of sweet potato, thin slices of carrot, diced onion. Spread in the bottom of parchment paper bags. Salmon fillet, skinned and divided into approximately 5 ounce portions, topped with citrus butter. Could only fit 3 bags in the oven so each couple had to divvy up "their" bag which had 2 salmon portions. Twelve minutes in a 400 degree F. oven. Skinny asparagus in a microwave steamer bag for 2.5 minutes. Wild and white rice medley. Some of us had Pinot Gris, others stayed with the sparkling non-alcoholic cider.

And then came dessert. Oh my. What a dessert. My other friend had made a nusstorte - light and airy, almond flour I expect (still waiting for the recipe) split in half, a raspberry filling, finely chopped nuts on the side, topped with a thin layer of chocolate, and finished with a grid of whipped cream with a little rosette at the junctions. I had a brilliant idea, and filled each space of the grid with a raspberry.
Dinner Party_2020-01_nusstorte.jpg
Light, airy, cool (had been refrigerated while we ate) perfect end to - if I say so myself - a very nice meal.

I had run the Gevalia while we ate so decaf coffee was hot in the carafe, and had hot water in the dedicated-to-hot-water carafe for those who wanted tea.

A lovely start to the new year in the company of friends.

And today? Today my three things include
1) unloading dishwasher that was run last night
2) laundry
3) take down and put away holiday decorations, for today is the 12th day after Christmas

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi You and I would be wrestling over it. I very much like blue cheese, Himself not at all. I don't buy it all that often. Last night one of our guests was so happy with the blue cheese, complimented me on the quality, asked where I had gotten it - forced to confess it was from Shoprite supermarket. Still, very good. And he and I made sure there was not much left.
Dinner Party_2020-01_cheese platter.jpg

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Tonight we had a hodgepodge of veggies: sautéed collard greens, roasted potatoes, roasted carrots, and some garlic and onion black beans. Trying to be good about eating vegetables in the new year... we'll see how long that lasts!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I had 5 cappuccinos for lunch and now I feel really sick.
Whoa, that's caffeine overload. ☕ No wonder you felt sick, even as a coffee lover I never have more than two at one sitting. I hope you're okay and feel better now.🤞 :hugs:

Light dinner tonight, lentil soup with half a roll from the bakery and honeycrisp apple for dessert.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my neighbor and I went to Ludy's Italian Restaurant and got some thin crust pizza with mushrooms, onion and olives.
To day after my doctor's appointment I am taking my sister out to eat for her birthday. We are going to the Olive Garden. I will probably get minestrone soup and their delicious salad.
Tomorrow I will be going with a group of people to the Cracker Barrel where I will get a vegetable plate.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are orange&white orange&white and 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ? Neither have posted here in awhile, or on TCS in general.
I noticed that as well. The last time I saw orange&white post was in the Transgender thread in IMO but I think that was about 6 weeks or so ago, maybe longer

• I had a cheeseburger slider for breakfast about 5am from last night's dinner.
  • Lunch was a Stouffer's chicken pot pie.
  • Nicole is going to pick up an antipasto for me for dinner.This place has the best Italian dressing made wih Balsamic vinegar.It go so popular that they now bottle it themselves.
  • Sherry got me a few Danish from the bakery, yum.

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
O.K. Recap on last night's dinner party.

As is my wont I went overboard. This time it was on appetizers.
View attachment 316227
There was chicken liver pate, the pork and pheasant pate, cheddar cheese and blue cheese and a bousin-type cheese spread I made. Two kinds of olives, tiny gherkins, mustard, red grapes, raspberries. My friend brought a really excellent baguette and I had some seeded crackers. To drink there was a locally made hard cider and a sparkling non-alcoholic cider.

The entree was not very photogenic so I don't have pictures to share. Lightly sauteed thin little sticks of sweet potato, thin slices of carrot, diced onion. Spread in the bottom of parchment paper bags. Salmon fillet, skinned and divided into approximately 5 ounce portions, topped with citrus butter. Could only fit 3 bags in the oven so each couple had to divvy up "their" bag which had 2 salmon portions. Twelve minutes in a 400 degree F. oven. Skinny asparagus in a microwave steamer bag for 2.5 minutes. Wild and white rice medley. Some of us had Pinot Gris, others stayed with the sparkling non-alcoholic cider.

And then came dessert. Oh my. What a dessert. My other friend had made a nusstorte - light and airy, almond flour I expect (still waiting for the recipe) split in half, a raspberry filling, finely chopped nuts on the side, topped with a thin layer of chocolate, and finished with a grid of whipped cream with a little rosette at the junctions. I had a brilliant idea, and filled each space of the grid with a raspberry.
View attachment 316228
Light, airy, cool (had been refrigerated while we ate) perfect end to - if I say so myself - a very nice meal.

I had run the Gevalia while we ate so decaf coffee was hot in the carafe, and had hot water in the dedicated-to-hot-water carafe for those who wanted tea.

A lovely start to the new year in the company of friends.

And today? Today my three things include
1) unloading dishwasher that was run last night
2) laundry
3) take down and put away holiday decorations, for today is the 12th day after Christmas
What a feast!!! Now I want blue cheese and crackers!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lunch I limited myself to ONE cappuccino this time. :lol: Also, 2 slices of toast with butter & Mike's Hot Honey on it.
For dinner I had a veggie burger with roasted potato/carrot/onion/garlic mix on the side. I put hot sauce on it.

Rachael Ray said to sprinkle salt & pepper on both sides of the veggie burger before cooking. It really makes a difference! I just figured they were already seasoned, but it tastes much better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.