What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby requested omelets for dinner with toasted bagels,so I made ham and smoked gouda .I'm not much of an egg person but I have to say they were pretty darn good.Today I made cherry bars so we had one of those for dessert.Yummy!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yestereday, just an easy supper: roasted chicken leg, sprinkles with Penzey Bavarian seasoning, 1/2 roasted sweet potato and corn.

I am so sick of chicken. Having chicken along with a salad today. I am going to put the chicken inside the salad.

Being on this strict diet is really boring! and being quarantined, does not help. I am saving my limited supply of freezer food, for week-ends, or when there is absolutely nothing on the provided menu, for me to eat. All I get is chicken! I need some meat. I want a nice steak! or a nice hamburger with fries!

I do feel better, since being on the strict diet; but, it is setting so hard for me... boring.. repetitive.
Cannot have: eggs, any dairy, nuts, soy, onions, garlic, peas. No apples, no stone fruit, no watermelon, no honey dew melons, no raspberries, blackberries, no apples. No high fructose corn syrup, no honey, limited gluten is ok....

I have been living on oatmeal with blueberries, grapes, oranges, chicken, occasional sourdough bread, tuna-with no egg mayo, potatoes, carrots, green beans, some corn, salads, dairy and egg free/vegan, popcorn, potato chips.

I do feel better, but...... just venting... quarantined since March 26... People are just defying the quarantine. It is really kind of ridiculous. I think they will begin to ease up, tomorrow~~~ at least that is what I heard....

I just want to you out.. get an iced tea or coffee, walk or sit on the beach---shopping for stapes will be continued through Instacart. I am planning on just going to a local Italian deli/produce store, and call in an order to the butcher--they do car delivery.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do feel better, since being on the strict diet; but, it is setting so hard for me... boring.. repetitive.
Cannot have: eggs, any dairy, nuts, soy, onions, garlic, peas. No apples, no stone fruit, no watermelon, no honey dew melons, no raspberries, blackberries, no apples. No high fructose corn syrup, no honey, limited gluten is ok....
So many of my favourites in your "can't eat" list, so I feel for you. 🤗 But, if you're feeling better, then It's worth it. Will you eventually be able to try adding some of the current forbidden foods to your diet?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I must have missed why you are on this strict diet. Sounds like an elimination diet we have to put our cats on to identify issues. It's hard. I can sympathize. But if you focus on what you want but cannot have I think it will only make things more frustrating.

I don't see fish or seafood on the forbidden list OR that you've been eating any. How about shrimp? Is pork an option? What about lamb?

You need something to eat that makes you feel special. Doing it yourself takes some of the "special" out of the equation, I understand. But here's one very easy option: If chocolate and bananas are allowed, cut banana in chunks, dip in melted chocolate and then chill. Very yummy, I promise.

Try ground chicken as a burger. If tomato is allowable use it to make chicken spaghetti sauce served with gluten free pasta. Use chicken to make white chili and serve with cannellini beans.

Peel and cut a potato for hasselback (make narrow slices but leave connected at the bottom), brush with - question - is butter allowed? If yes use melted butter and oil, if not use only oil - and bake in 425 degree F. toaster oven for about an hour, brushing again with oil at the 30 minute mark. Tastes as fancy as it looks.

You have Instacart available. We're in semi-rural western New Jersey and there are no delivery services available. Curbside is about it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took out a frozen subscription meal out of the freezer to defrost, chicken tikki masala. I have a couple more frozen meals to work my way through until the delivery next week.

We're having Bertucci lunch on Thursday. It's pastas again. I did not select the disappointing spaghetti and meatball again :headshake: I chose cheese ravioli. Hopefully it won't be disappointing :crossfingers: Wednesday's lunch is sandwiches. I stuck with ham and cheese again. The other options didn't appeal to me. I'm not sure if we're getting lunches again next week and thereafter since the company expects to allow select small groups of employees back on site starting next Tuesday and slowly return to "normal" over the next couple of weeks.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took out a frozen subscription meal out of the freezer to defrost, chicken tikki masala. I have a couple more frozen meals to work my way through until the delivery next week.

We're having Bertucci lunch on Thursday. It's pastas again. I did not select the disappointing spaghetti and meatball again :headshake: I chose cheese ravioli. Hopefully it won't be disappointing :crossfingers: Wednesday's lunch is sandwiches. I stuck with ham and cheese again. The other options didn't appeal to me. I'm not sure if we're getting lunches again next week and thereafter since the company expects to allow select small groups of employees back on site starting next Tuesday and slowly return to "normal" over the next couple of weeks.
LTS3 LTS3 it is new normal.:kiss::)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault and rubysmama rubysmama

Well, it is not exactly an elimination diet, but close to it. It is the start of a Fodmap diet for intestinal issues and a limited diet for a disorder I was diagnosed with. It is a long name: esinophillic esophagitis (EOE). It basically means that my esophagus closes down on food, and I choke.
kind of related to an allergic response to certain foods.

There are about 7 foods which are triggers for it; but my GI doctor wants me to just focus on 3: eggs, nuts, dairy. Onions, Garlic and wheat are also no-no’s; As is soy. And alcohol

I see my GI doctor in June; hopefully I can slowly add a food in. I am desperately missing: cheese, yogurt, chocolate, cookies, ice cream, omelettes, and some good old cold cut sandwiches.

Being quarantined just adds to the issue. Massachusetts, especially my area, and my senior housing building has been hit hard by the Virus. We had a lot of deaths in here— no new cases in 3 weeks. We will have to be opening up-/ people are just walking out! Quarantined since March 26.

The Gover just announced plans for reopening the state; Phase 1. Sound close to what we have been doing.

I really should not complain. I have lost 10 pounds since beginning this diet— at the start of quarantine. I am not choking on food. I can eat a piece of chicken without it getting stuck! Just a very boring diet.

The plan is to finish taking the PPI, Med; see how I feel; then to schedule another endoscopy with biopsy— to see if the EOE is still present, or in remission. My GI also feels that I have IBD.

enough venting!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Think I may have an omelette tonight. Last night was easy - canned baked beans.

Sounds yummy. BTW, have you seen this thread: Quarantine baking
You know...I have seen others talk about having baked beans on toast or bread for a meal.I know my hubby would think I'd lost my ever loving mind,but I did have some on toast for breakfast the other day and it was really good!Who knew!I have seen the quarantine baking thread and I'll be honest.I bake so much that it's not just during this quarantine thing.I do try and share a recipe now and again when it's particularly yummy...guess those cherry bars would do,yes?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
have seen others talk about having baked beans on toast or bread for a meal.I know my hubby would think I'd lost my ever loving mind,but I did have some on toast for breakfast the other day and it was really good!Who knew!I
I've never had baked beans on toast, but I have had them with oatmeal brown bread.

guess those cherry bars would do,yes?
Yup. :yummy:

Status
Not open for further replies.