What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took a dough ball out of the freezer this morning. Pepperoni and pepper pizza. I'm going to split the ball in half, spread it out to make two pizzas and try them in the NFG. I haven't done pizza in the NFG yet.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie There's those beets again. Gosh, but I do love beets! And Rick won't eat them, so I won't open a can if I'm going to be the only one munching down. Every time somebody mentions beets on this thread, I let out a small whimper. :paperbag:

Our pizza was good last night. Not one of my better attempts, but it was good. I didn't do it in the NFG because Rick brought up the pizza stone from the basement and stuck it in the oven to heat up. It worked.

I'm thinking chicken quarters tonight. Unless he sees something at the grocery store that he might want for dinner. That happens from time to time. Often we'll buy a large hoagie and split it between us, along with a bag of chips. And that's dinner. (And I'm sure he'd take a hoagie over chicken any day!)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love pickled beets. I buy the ones in the jar. Yum.
Hmmm... never realized you could buy them in the stores. Must check next time I'm out.

Tonight was another breakfast for dinner. This time Quaker Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal. I was cold, and it was the comfort food I needed.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lizzie lizzie There's those beets again. Gosh, but I do love beets! And Rick won't eat them, so I won't open a can if I'm going to be the only one munching down. Every time somebody mentions beets on this thread, I let out a small whimper. :paperbag:

Our pizza was good last night. Not one of my better attempts, but it was good. I didn't do it in the NFG because Rick brought up the pizza stone from the basement and stuck it in the oven to heat up. It worked.

I'm thinking chicken quarters tonight. Unless he sees something at the grocery store that he might want for dinner. That happens from time to time. Often we'll buy a large hoagie and split it between us, along with a bag of chips. And that's dinner. (And I'm sure he'd take a hoagie over chicken any day!)
We actually eat a lot of beets,between the canned ones and my pickled beets.He grows beets in the garden every year,and I have played with freezing them...didn't like the texture,but I do wash and blanch the greens and stick them in the freezer for soups,and I don't pressure process,so pickled is it.Sometimes there may be a few left out of the can and I will eat them the next day,cold,with a dab of italian dressing.They're quite good actually!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We do have a fridge though,and it's up and running as I type,thank goodness!
I assume the repair person was able to fix the fridge. Glad it's working now. 👍

I made a big veggie salad and paired it with a leek parmesan croissant I picked up at the store this morning. I love this type of croissant but don't get it too often. Honeycrisp apple for dessert.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I love them. Usually in the pickle section. Some stores have a choice between beets cut in wedges and whole baby beets. I like the whole baby beets best.
My mother used to make them when I was a kid but I didn't like them back then. My father used to grow them in his garden. I loved them now. Especially in a salad. I always found them in the canned vagetable section along with the other beets. My sister sent some canned vegetables I had at home and there was a jar of Harvard beets. I can't wait to eat them.

On the menu tonight they had stir fried vegetables with noodles and green beans. The stir fried was pretty good. It tasted a little like vegetable lo mein. I have not had Chinese food since February.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie Awesome news about the fridge. I'll probably be getting a Whirlpool, too. Congratulations!
rubysmama rubysmama I do love pickled beets, but usually I make them and then add a few shelled hard-cooked eggs into the mix. Rick will eat the eggs; I eat the beets.

Tonight we're having hot sausage sandwiches with lots of peppers and onions. And baked beans to go with them. I love hot sausage.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! I love them. Usually in the pickle section. Some stores have a choice between beets cut in wedges and whole baby beets. I like the whole baby beets best.
My store (Publix) has them in the canned vegetable aisle. Then again, they also have the candy in the same aisle as the baby food/diapers, etc. :lol:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume the repair person was able to fix the fridge. Glad it's working now. 👍

I made a big veggie salad and paired it with a leek parmesan croissant I picked up at the store this morning. I love this type of croissant but don't get it too often. Honeycrisp apple for dessert.
No,unfortunately the compressor died,and he did look to find a new one but like so much that I have learned about fridges this week,not available for months.So we bought a new one...a whirlpool,and although it's a few cubic feet smaller than what I wanted,it will be okay,it's up and running just fine.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The local grocery store where we get the fried chicken had 10 lb. bags of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale for .99 a pound,so I had hubby pick us up a couple of bags along with his stop at the farmers market this morning.Got another 3 bunches of radishes,some red cabbage and more kale.Yay!Tonight I'm making a chicken and rice dish I watched Jacques Pepin make,and I know it will be yummy!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The local grocery store where we get the fried chicken had 10 lb. bags of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale for .99 a pound,so I had hubby pick us up a couple of bags along with his stop at the farmers market this morning.Got another 3 bunches of radishes,some red cabbage and more kale.Yay!Tonight I'm making a chicken and rice dish I watched Jacques Pepin make,and I know it will be yummy!
I love Jacques Pepin.I watch his YT channel all the time. I'll probably have pizza for dinner.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I had caulifower, scalloped potatoes, cheesy rice and a piece of pumpkin pie. Today they opened the dinning room for lunch. This isn't nice but there are sure a lot of old people here. There was one lady that looked to be my age.
When I first came here I was told that i was the youngest one here. I shared my ròom with another woman
who was 93. She passed away last month. It was terrible. I could hear every thing going on.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My pasta casserole for dinner with a side salad - pasta is one of my favorite comfort foods in winter. We went out for coffee this afternoon and stopped on the way home to pick up dessert - double chocolate brownie. The employee behind the bakery counter told us we could have a donut on the house so DH chose a double chocolate one - you can never have too much chocolate. :biggrin: Just one of the perks going to a local independent shop since that would never happen at a large chain supermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.