What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turn leftover stew from last night into a ragu sauce
That's an interesting idea! Did it have tomatoes or tomato sauce in it?

Pizza Hut. 🍕
Well, what toppings did you get?

Breakfast: Finished up the pumpkin spice english muffins. I mixed vanilla almond butter with dark chocolate peanut butter. I didn't get the ratio right, I need more vanilla, less chocolate. Also had a tropical fruit cup- pineapple and papaya.

Lunch: Veggie stir-fry on saltine crackers because I forgot to take out bread. Added pinto beans and a hard boiled egg for protein.

Dinner: Taco salad with all the fixins' and habanero sauce. Added avocado and a diced up vegetarian hotdog for protein. It also had black beans and pinto beans in it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi No tomatoes so technically not a ragu. I sometimes use that term for turning leftover meat into a pasta or rice dish.

So now a question for you - considering how it was used do I call the previously cooked meat "leftovers" or an "ingredient"?

I sauteed some sliced onion. Got a container of chicken of the woods mushrooms that had been sliced, sauteed in butter and herbs out of the freezer. Sliced the stew meat thin and then in slivers about the size of the onion which was somewhat smaller than the mushrooms. Reheated bacon left from browning the meat the night before. The butter from the mushrooms made the sauce when I ladled everything over the rice. It did taste quite good.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick had brought down a bunch of tomatoes from the garden the other day and they finally turned red enough that I could use them. Washed and chopped and put them in a roasting pan in the oven. Got them back out and pureed them. Instead of freezing them this time, I turned them into supper. I browned sausage, onion, garlic, and chopped peppers, added the puree, then cooked a bit of pasta and threw that into the mix. A bit of red wine and balsamic vinegar, some basil, oregano, and marjoram and let it cook for awhile. Added a bit of freshly grated Parm and dinner was served with a couple garlic-parm yeast rolls.

Chicken thighs in the Foodi Grill tonight. I'm going to make a bit of cranberry sauce for the chicken. Not sure about sides, but I'm thinking of twice-baked sweet potatoes. Green beans. And a chunk of apple coffee cake for dessert.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last of the ingredient-that-started-off-as-stew. I could make hash but thought of a new and possibly interesting variation.

For a double baked potato I cut the baked potato in half, scoop out flesh with a fork. Pile it back in to the potato skin, top with butter and heat / brown in toaster oven.

This time I will mix forked over potato with remained stew meat cut small, pile back in potato skins. Butter, toaster oven, then when lightly browned add gravy!

Could be very good. Or maybe not. Himself and I will find out.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took advantage of cold and cloudy day and made more bread ...just took them out of the oven.So...I'm not cooking really today but we have plenty of leftover pizza,and there's also soup...I threw all the options his way so when he decides,I guess we'll know,and I'm not picky!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I baked a split chicken roasted carrots and baked sweet potato.

I patted down the chicken, to dry; sprinkled s+p, some thyme,some half sweet & spicy paprika and drizzled on EVOO with essence of lemon— for freshness. So good!!

left overs for tomorrow, with another cooked 1/2 chicken breast leftover. Hummmmm perhaps throw it in some me pasta sauce??? For later this week. Will have to freeze it, until I decide.
I do not keep Cooke food longer than 3 days.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Did you minus some of the ingredients on the Veggie Lovers? I worked there for many years and it used to have black olives on it.

Breakfast: Finished up the Aldi chocolate granola with 2% cow milk and half a diced Rice apple. Never heard of this brand before, we got it in the box of food from the government, delivered to our house by the church.

Lunch: Veggie stir-fry sammich on Thomas whole wheat english muffin with swiss cheese.

Dinner: Threw a bunch of stuff in a bowl and microwaved it- leftover cabbage veggie soup, a piece of cornbread, the other half of the diced Rice apple, shredded parmesan cheese, and sriracha sauce. Yummy! Kinda tasted like apple cornbread or stuffing.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
half a diced Rice apple. Never heard of this brand before
Looks like that's just the brand; they have several different varieties, maybe you can identify which ones you got: Apples – Rice Fruit Company

All the churches here are giving out the food boxes too.

I haven't decided what to make for dinner. I want to make a cheesecake in the Instant Pot, but even if I was going to eat that for dinner (and I would!), it won't be properly chilled until morning. Maybe beanie-weenies again..

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom And I bet those leftovers were decadent!

Well, yesterday did not go as planned. Rick bowled in the afternoon. On his way home, he stopped at Wendy's and brought dinner home. So nice of him because I really didn't feel like cooking.

So tonight's dinner is the chicken, etc that we were supposed to have yesterday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama Did you minus some of the ingredients on the Veggie Lovers? I worked there for many years and it used to have black olives on it.
Guess the Veggie Lovers here doesn't include olives, as that pic came off their website. I also used to buy it back before I became vegetarian, and no olives then either.

Not sure what I'm having tonight. But I bought some baby spinach today, so sometime this week I'm going to make pasta and spinach added in, as well as Lentil soup with spinach.

Status
Not open for further replies.