What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our cheese pizza last night was excellent; we really liked the great brown and chewy crust from the cast iron pan. I have another dough ball left and will make a foccacia out of that and I think I'll do that in the pan, too. I took a container of pasta sauce out of the freezer last night for spaghetti and meatballs. Dessert? Rick has asked for an apple dumpling, also from the freezer. He will have his with French vanilla ice cream; mine will be plain.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
late night snack; sharp American cheese on Italian bread

Dinner last night was 2 PBJ, I've been craving them lately

earlier I had egg salad, one Pink Lady apple and a Granny Smith

Not sure about tonight.

EDIT: Nicole just called. She's sending down homemade bean soup and cornbread, yum!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
neely neely I found Cosmic Crisp apples at the independent market :) They cost less too than at the supermarket, $1.98 vs $2.99. I bought two to try.

20200119_080154.jpg

There were also Autumn and Sweetie apples which I had never heard of before:

20200119_080203.jpg

20200119_080243.jpg

Tonight is some leftovers from the freezer, enough for tomorrow's dinner too. Tuesday I get the prepared meal kit :hyper: I'm not sure how I'm going to get a shopping bag with all the boxes and the pizza home by public transportation. I might have to request a Lyft ride.

I can't speak for the others, but yes, I still eat dairy and eggs, so am lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Or, simply vegetarian, as by definition vegetarians don't eat meat, chicken or fish, aka products or by-products of slaughter, which dairy and eggs are not.
There's more info here: What is a Vegetarian | The Vegetarian Society

Interesting :) I probably mentioned this before but I used to work with someone who claimed to be a strict vegetarian but ate dairy (regular ice cream, cheese, etc) and eggs and even calamari :dunno: I don't know, maybe it's trendy for people in her age group to claim to be on certain diets but not actually follow it :dunno:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting :) I probably mentioned this before but I used to work with someone who claimed to be a strict vegetarian but ate dairy (regular ice cream, cheese, etc) and eggs and even calamari :dunno: I don't know, maybe it's trendy for people in her age group to claim to be on certain diets but not actually follow it :dunno:
Ha!!! Back in the 90s, I worked with someone who did the same thing!! She would tell anyone who would listen about her vegetarianism. Well, one day I came back from lunch and brought half of my Courthouse burger with me. It was a huge cheeseburger with fries and coleslaw on it, soo good. She walked by my cubicle and said, "Oh that smells really good." I told her it was a CH burger and it was so huge I couldn't eat it all. She was looking at me and at it, so I said "Do you want it?" She whispered, "Please don;t tell anyone."
She took it back to her cube and came by about an hour later and thanked me again. A few months later I saw her in the cafeteria eating one of those small sized Chef-Boyardee raviolis. I teased her about it and said my lips are sealed. I don't why she felt she had to
hide it but she was very young about 21-22.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't speak for the others, but yes, I still eat dairy and eggs, so am lacto-ovo-vegetarian.
:yeah: Me too! I don't have much dairy, use almond milk or coconut milk, and don't eat eggs often but unless you omit them from your diet completely you are a lacto-ovo-vegetarian as rubysmama rubysmama mentioned.

One of my daughters likes to use this definition - if it has eyes or a mother it's not vegetarian. Therefore, LTS3 LTS3 your coworker is not a strict vegetarian because calamari comes from squid.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope not :eek3: They probably got bruised from rough shipping. I try not to buy produce from the supermarket anyways. The produce is never good quality, if there are any on display :dunno: Oftentimes a particular produce will be feature as the week's sale but the supermarket has none available. Like the sumo oranges featured this week. There were none today. Or the shriveled asparagus that was on sale one time. I go to the independent market that gets fresh produce from local farms.

Did you try Googling for recipes? I found these:

[/URL]
[/URL]

This one has more ingredients but you can use short-cut methods like buying store-prepared chopped onions and sliced fresh mushrooms and a jar of minced garlic :

[/URL]
Thanks for the recipes. That is just what I wanted.

Yes, I did google but I could not find any that I wanted.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my daughters likes to use this definition - if it has eyes or a mother it's not vegetarian. Therefore, LTS3 LTS3 your coworker is not a strict vegetarian because calamari comes from squid.

That person claimed that calamari wasn't real meat, it was just cartilage. Um, sure :rolleyes: Calamari is just another name for squid and squid is an animal, one that lives in the ocean so it's seafood. This person should know better especially since she volunteers at the local aquarium.

But back to the topic of dinner now....

Thanks for the recipes. That is just what I wanted.

Yes, I did google but I could not find any that I wanted.
Let us know if you try any of those recipes :) I think mushroom soup would be nice with some crusty bread to sop up the liquid :yummy:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Our cheese pizza last night was excellent; we really liked the great brown and chewy crust from the cast iron pan. I have another dough ball left and will make a foccacia out of that and I think I'll do that in the pan, too. I took a container of pasta sauce out of the freezer last night for spaghetti and meatballs. Dessert? Rick has asked for an apple dumpling, also from the freezer. He will have his with French vanilla ice cream; mine will be plain.
That sounds good. A nice pizza with just sauce and cheese.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It was bitter cold out but we didn't want to sit in the house so went to the movies and stopped at an independent grocery store on the way home. I picked up Spanish rice and will have it with two garbanzo cakes for dinner. Blueberries were on sale for a great price so that will be my dessert.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Were they a year old? :eek2:

For lunch I had the most amazing sandwich! I usually only use one of these, but I used all 3 on the same sandwich- 2 TB hummus, 2 TB Cashews, 1 TB Sunflower Seeds. Then Tomato, raw Spinach, Swiss Cheese. All on a huge toasted egg bagel.
OMG it tasted so healthy & fresh! Beans, nuts, and seeds taste wonderful all together. :thumbsup:

For dinner I had an Amy's Burrito cooked in the oven this time, I finished up my bottle of salsa brava hot taco sauce.

That sandwich sounds delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.