What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( to far to smuggle/sneak snacks in for you
my. brother and sister bring me certain things from the grocery store that i can't get here. my sister is bringing me my vegetarian food that i have at home. i can't get amy's or morning star products here. i don't get enough protein here and they still try to give me food that i can't eat. this rnorning they gave me french toast and they are having egg noodles for lunch. l don't eat anything when i can taste the eggs in it. yesterday they gave me jello and a salad with bacon in it. some of the vegetables taste like they were cooked in animal fat. one of the aides here told me that me that i could have the crab cakes because they were vegetarian. it was the same thing in every hospital and rehab place

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my. brother and sister bring me certain things from the grocery store that i can't get here. my sister is bringing me my vegetarian food that i have at home. i can't get amy's or morning star products here. i don't get enough protein here and they still try to give me food that i can't eat. this rnorning they gave me french toast and they are having egg noodles for lunch. l don't eat anything when i can taste the eggs in it. yesterday they gave me jello and a salad with bacon in it. some of the vegetables taste like they were cooked in animal fat. one of the aides here told me that me that i could have the crab cakes because they were vegetarian. it was the same thing in every hospital and rehab place
I understand. My job had a lunch for us once and they got big subs from the local grocery store. They got italian, roast beef, chicken and turkey. I asked the girl who set it up what they were getting for vegetarians. She told me that was who the chicken and turkey were for. I reminded her that chicken and turkey are meat. They had to place a last minute order for one with no meat on it. Just the veggies and cheese. Imagine if I hadn't said anything. :rolleyes:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. My job had a lunch for us once and they got big subs from the local grocery store. They got italian, roast beef, chicken and turkey. I asked the girl who set it up what they were getting for vegetarians. She told me that was who the chicken and turkey were for. I reminded her that chicken and turkey are meat. They had to place a last minute order for one with no meat on it. Just the veggies and cheese. Imagine if I hadn't said anything. :rolleyes:
i swear, some people don't have a clue.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Boring food...

Yesterday: I did not feel as if I was hungry but got a surprise when I received supper. I am in senior housing, and they do deliver supper to us. It is up to us if we want it or not.

I knew it was a corned beef sandwich, with 1,000 island dressing, sauerkraut (not for me) and a bag of chips. The surprise was 5 mini Chinese egg rolls with a pack of sweet and sour sauce!

I ate the egg rolls, thinking that was enough, but, later on, the sandwich was calling my name..
It was good.

Today: I went to the Italian Deli/Produce store, for some blueberries, and grapes.
While there, I decided to get some Italian rolls. Caught a look at the Roast Beef in the Cold Cut showcase. Rare!! Yum! just the way I like it. I got 1/2 lb of that and 1/4 lb of cheese!!

Sandwich was so good... was eyeing the meatball sub.........

I have not had cheese since March... so wish me luck.. one slice, in sandwich ...

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oatmeal and one slice of raisin toast with butter.
I should try toast with my oatmeal, maybe it will make it more exciting to me.

thought, it would be a lot better with some browned chicken sausage.
Mushrooms would have been great! Or beans or some type of meat substitute.

topping with a bit of Cheez Whiz that melted nicely.
I haven't had Cheez Whiz since I was a kid. What else do you put it on? We used to put it on crackers.

Breakfast: Nature's Path pumpkin seed granola with 1 diced fresh pear and Aldi unsweetened almond milk.

Lunch: Veggie sammich on Great Value wheat bread, untoasted. Mayo, habanero hot sauce, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, walnuts, onions. I forgot to put Vegemite on it and I missed it! Ha!

Dinner: Taco salad- black beans, quinoa, green peppers, onion, garlic, taco seasoning, turmeric, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, shredded cheese, cheese sauce, salsa, habanero sauce, plain greek yogurt, tortilla chips. I read to use plain yogurt instead of sour cream, but I didn't really like it. Too tangy!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lizzie lizzie I hope that motherboard gets here today. Happy birthday to your son!

Last night's dinner was OK, but just OK and I sure wouldn't want to eat it regularly. I sauteed onions, garlic, and then threw in some peppers. Added garlic, marjoram, basil, and oregano. Poured in the marinara. Served it over the zoodles and topped with Penzey Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle. Served with my garlic bread. The whole time, I was making it, I thought, it would be a lot better with some browned chicken sausage. And sure enough, Rick tasted it and said, "You know, those chicken sausages would have hit the spot in this." Vegetarians, we are not. :paperbag:

I'm kind of hungry for a good meatball sub tonight. I'm thinking about using the spiralizer to make curly fries and then throwing them in the Foodi Grill to air crisp. And add a wee bit of cole slaw to that, too.
Yes it is fixed!$234 later,but that's okay.I love my stove!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we had the opportunity,we took the kids to lunch at a local place here in town.They are famous for their pork tenderloins,and we haven't been there in close to 4 years.Nope...we don't eat out much.Dennis did well and had blackened catfish,a dinner salad and 3 slices of fried zucchini.Dad had the fish too,our daughter in law had shrimp and a baked potato and I had the open face tenderloin sandwich.It was delicious,and huge...brought way more than half of it home,3 of her shrimp(the kitties had a feast:)),the rest of the fried zucchini and a dinner roll.Neither of us were hungry tonight.Great food and we had such a nice visit.Hard to believe my one and only is 50!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But there's tofu
Tofu is God's way of getting vegetarians to eat Spam.

I haven't had Cheez Whiz since I was a kid. What else do you put it on? We used to put it on crackers.
Are you thinking of Cheez Whiz or Easy Cheese? The first comes in a jar, and is easily melted into sauces and such. The second comes in an aerosol can and you squirt it out. THAT is almost exclusively eaten on crackers, except for a few hardy (and totally mad) individuals who squirt it right into their mouths.

Tonight I feel distinctly tartar sauce-ish, so...unless things change in the next three hours, fish sticks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol: 😆
Tofu is very very dependent on how it's prepared; it's basically a blank slate. It can be terrible or it can be terrific. Some food artists can make it taste exactly like meat, with the same mouthfeel and everything.

I had lazy sushi tonight. Beanie weenies last night, a sandwich the night before that. I'm feeling very boring. I have to rustle up my Instant Pot recipes and see if I can make something more interesting.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
this rnorning they gave me french toast and they are having egg noodles for lunch. l don't eat anything when i can taste the eggs in it.
Oh, that's unfortunate you can't eat eggs, as that would be a good source of protein.

yesterday they gave me jello and a salad with bacon in it.
They might not realize jello isn't vegetarian. But bacon? :mad:

some of the vegetables taste like they were cooked in animal fat.
Ewwww.

one of the aides here told me that me that i could have the crab cakes because they were vegetarian.
Seriously, it's 2020. With all the vegetarians/vegans around now, how can people be so clueless. :rolleyes3:

Imagine if I hadn't said anything. :rolleyes:
On behalf of the vegetarians/vegans, thanks for speaking up.

I hadn't had it in years either, but then tried it, and decided to keep some on hand. I'll put it on crackers. And sometimes toast. And, like the other day, put a bit on my egg burger. I've also put some with plain cooked macaroni to make a cheesy sauce. I haven't done this in a long time, but you can also put it on celery.

LOL.

Are you thinking of Cheez Whiz or Easy Cheese? The first comes in a jar, and is easily melted into sauces and such. The second comes in an aerosol can and you squirt it out. THAT is almost exclusively eaten on crackers, except for a few hardy (and totally mad) individuals who squirt it right into their mouths.
Not that Cheez Whiz is some culinary food, but the aerosol can cheese sounds really bad. :lol:

I'm feeling very boring. I have to rustle up my Instant Pot recipes and see if I can make something more interesting.
I've been feeling/eating boring too, and need to get back into making my more interesting, and healthy, recipes.

Last night was Ikea veggie balls, Kraft Dinner and steamed broccoli.

1601117779755.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like tofu :paperbag: Mom always bought the silken type and used it in stir fries and soups. I once asked her why she didn't use firm tofu for stir fries because the silken one obviously falls apart into mush when stir fried and she got all mad and insisted that we only use silken and the firm type was for Japanese cooking :dunno:

I took a frozen subscription meal from the freezer, Italian chicken. They seem to be offering new meals now.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you thinking of Cheez Whiz or Easy Cheese?
We bought the Cheez Whiz in a jar when I was a kid, and spread it on crackers with a knife, then sometimes cut up cheese squares to put on top. That's the only way we ate it I think.

And sometimes toast.
Never thought of putting it on toast.

Kraft Dinner
After you drain the macaroni, do you melt the butter on them first before adding the milk & cheese powder? That's what the directions say to do on my box, but sometimes I feel like dumping it all in at once to save time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After you drain the macaroni, do you melt the butter on them first before adding the milk & cheese powder? That's what the directions say to do on my box, but sometimes I feel like dumping it all in at once to save time.
Yes, melt the butter first. Then add the milk and cheese powder. It probably would work if you dumped it all in at once. I think Kraft Dinner is pretty forgiving. :biggrin:

I rarely make the family size anymore, as it makes too much for just me. So I've been buying the one serving cups and then you just add water, microwave, then add the cheese powder. Hardly healthy, I know, but easy when I'm in a hurry.

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got a nice surprise for breakfast this morning. Hubby woke me up with breakfast in bed - steak, eggs, fried potatoes and toast with my black coffee. All cooked the way I like. :heartshape:

For dinner we’ll be having moose roast with garlic mashed potatoes and some other veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.