What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cool, I wasn't sure if that's the way other people make it. You don't use green olives?
I think I've mentioned this before, but I've never even tried green olives! Nor do I have a desire to try them. I think it must go back to people always saying they didn't want olives on their pizza, so that stuck in my mind that olives were a "bad" thing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've mentioned this before, but I've never even tried green olives! Nor do I have a desire to try them. I think it must go back to people always saying they didn't want olives on their pizza, so that stuck in my mind that olives were a "bad" thing.
They're more tart and "pickley" than black olives. I love them. If you like pickles you'd probably like green olives.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're more tart and "pickley" than black olives. I love them. If you like pickles you'd probably like green olives.
I love them too. I love all olives. I've never tried green olives on a pizza. Don't know why. Maybe because they don't last long enough. :lol:
I've never tried capers because they look like bunny turds. DD laughs at me about that. She says that since I like olives, I'd like them but I have yet to try them.

I asked Lily if we should have chicken for dinner. I got the side eye. I guess that means yes. I'm defrosting some. :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This was our dinner last night. (I'm a member of a couple of Foodi Grill boards and we share photos, so I thought I'd share this.) It was really good. And vegetarian, too. I'm working in one or two vegetarian meals a week. Hard to do sometimes with Rick, but we're managing. I did everything in the NFG, from roasting the vegetables, then mixing everything together and baking it in the Grill. Nice that I didn't have to heat the oven. Served with coleslaw.

I had enough that I froze some of it (I know it's hard to freeze pasta, but thought I'd give it a shot. I freeze lasagna when I make it, so why not?) And we have some for lunch today or dinner tonight. Whichever we decide.
BakedPasta.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
kat0121,
thanks for your relpy.

willowy,
i love both green wnd black olives. on pizza, right out of the can or in a sandrich with cream cheese. my local safeway used to have a olive bar. they had all kinds of olives and they were so good.
Same here. They are so good with cream cheese. Our Publix had an olive bar and got rid of it too. I was so sad. They had all kinds of good stuff.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i have not seen nicknsnicks2mom since i have been back. does anybody know if she is allright?
She posted a while back that she had a lot of things on the go, so I suspect that's happened again, and she'll eventually be back.

They come in green and black ??? Clearly I know nothing about olives. :rolleyes3:

This was our dinner last night. (I'm a member of a couple of Foodi Grill boards and we share photos, so I thought I'd share this.) It was really good. And vegetarian, too. I'm working in one or two vegetarian meals a week. Hard to do sometimes with Rick, but we're managing. I did everything in the NFG, from roasting the vegetables, then mixing everything together and baking it in the Grill. Nice that I didn't have to heat the oven. Served with coleslaw.

I had enough that I froze some of it (I know it's hard to freeze pasta, but thought I'd give it a shot. I freeze lasagna when I make it, so why not?) And we have some for lunch today or dinner tonight. Whichever we decide.
View attachment 350517
Oh, that looks really good. And even better, being that it's vegetarian. :thumbsup:

Good luck finding veg meals Rick will like. I'm sure once he gets past the fact that there's no meat, he'll enjoy most of them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They come in green and black ??? Clearly I know nothing about olives. :rolleyes3:
Not just green and black, but there are hundreds of varieties of both colors! But there are 2 basic varieties (one of each kind) that are used most commonly, so if you asked for olives on your pizza you could be pretty sure of getting them.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Not just green and black, but there are hundreds of varieties of both colors! But there are 2 basic varieties (one of each kind) that are used most commonly, so if you asked for olives on your pizza you could be pretty sure of getting them.
I like black olives.. all types of black.

Not so much a fan of the green ones..

Years ago, there used to be a marker which had an olive bar. Each visit, I would pick up a small container of different olives: all cured differently, in different tasting vinaigrette's, or oil, and salt;
Some stuffed, some not..

The ones which I really do not care for are the 'cocktail' stuffed green olives with pimentos. Yuck, to me... they are so salty!! I would eat the pimento and throw out the olive!! I guess they are good in cocktails...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it must go back to people always saying they didn't want olives on their pizza
Black olives go on pizza & mexican food. Green olives go in egg salad, deviled eggs, and macaroni salad.

This was our dinner last night.
Did you post the recipe? That looks like the most amazing casserole ever! Drooling. :drool:

Breakfast: Target Good & Gather vanilla almond granola with diced green apple and cow milk.

Lunch: Veggie Sammich on Great Value Honey Wheat Bread toasted, mayo, red french, red jalapeno hot sauce, swiss chard, tomato, cucumbers, onions, hard boiled egg, Aldi sharp cheese. I love this bread, it's huge!

Dinner: Practiced making stir-fry. I used a bigger frying pan this time and it really cooked faster! Yay! Guess I was crowding it.
I'm not sure when to put the sauce in? Does anybody know how long to cook the sauce at the end? Do I turn down the heat or keep it on medium?

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beans and corn have complementary amino acids. Eaten together, complete protein. Himself and I are both very fond of black beans and corn with some diced onion and sweet red pepper. Serve cold with a splash of salad dressing. Stir in some Goya sazon and heat for a side dish.
Last night I made a version of this using black beans, corn and diced onion. Seasoned with cumin and cayenne. Served hot, as main course. An apple for dessert.

Black olives go on pizza & mexican food. Green olives go in egg salad, deviled eggs, and macaroni salad.
So what do olives taste like? Salty? Sweet? Chewy? Crunchy? Seriously, I have no clue. :dunno:

I'm not sure when to put the sauce in? Does anybody know how long to cook the sauce at the end? Do I turn down the heat or keep it on medium?
I was thinking towards the very end of cooking, but Googled to be sure. Here's a couple links that might be helpful:

How to Make Stir-Fry at Home
Quick Meal Technique: How to Stir Fry

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what do olives taste like? Salty? Sweet? Chewy? Crunchy?
Salty. I mean, that's not how they grow, but they're always salt-cured/pickled. I'm not sure why, now that I think of it. I'll have to look that up (ETA: "Olives picked off the tree contain a very bitter compound called oleuropein. Harvested olives must be “cured” to remove the bitterness in order to make them palatable"). The exact flavor profile and texture depend on variety. They're stonefruits (like peaches and plums) and the natural texture is fairly firm and. . .fruity, lol. But the curing method changes it. The standard black olives are a little bouncy/rubbery (bad brands can be rubbery) and standard green olives are a little firmer (because green ones aren't ripe yet when picked; that's why they're green). They're not chewy or crunchy, just. . .haha, I've never tried to describe an olive. I think you just have to try them.
The ones which I really do not care for are the 'cocktail' stuffed green olives with pimentos. Yuck, to me... they are so salty!! I would eat the pimento and throw out the olive!! I guess they are good in cocktails...
Oh, I love them. I can eat a whole jar. But I like salty things.

My current favorites are the big green olives stuffed with jalapenos and garlic that are sold at Costco.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The standard black olives are a little bouncy/rubbery (bad brands can be rubbery) and standard green olives are a little firmer. They're not chewy or crunchy, just. . .haha, I've never tried to describe an olive. I think you just have to try them.
From your description, I'm thinking "no" to the possibly rubbery black ones. And "maybe" to the green ones.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From your description, I'm thinking "no" to the possibly rubbery black ones. And "maybe" to the green ones.
I wouldn't use rubbery to describe them.They have a firm texture and an umami flavor. Kind of earthy/meaty. I love them and eat them right out of the can. They sell small cans in the grocery store. Black olives in general are cheaper than green ones. Give them a shot. I didn't like them when I was a kid but love them now. The green ones are salty and delicious. I love them all but the stuffed ones are my favorite. You can find them stuffed with lots of things. I like blue cheese or garlic. Sam's has some that are stuffed with jalapenos and garlic. So good. I'll make you a deal. You try olives and I'll try capers. :lol:

We had some chicken left over from dinner. I warmed it and put it on the girls' breakfast. They were happy about that.

No idea what dinner will be tonight. Going to the store later. I'll find something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.