What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had great weather all week but it was too good to last since the temps have dipped and it's cold/damp/dreary. So either today or tomorrow I will make a pasta casserole, my version of comfort food. I need one more ingredient which I forgot to get yesterday. :doh:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thawing out a bundle of turkey breast slices, which are about there, so turkey sandwiches, and for dessert, the last of the Godiva chocolates that I got for Christmas. I've managed to actually eat 3-4 of them, but everyone who walks in the house grabs a couple! I'm going to polish them off before they're gone and I don't get any!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pasta casserole
Yum, my two favorite things- pasta & casserole. :yummy:

scalloped potatoes
I used to hate scalloped potatoes until I tried them with ketchup on them. :thumbsup:

For lunch I had a veggie burger with lettuce, tomato, mayo on rye/pumpernickel swirl bread.
For dinner I had the same salad as last night packed with all the fixins.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight's dinner was kinda hodge podge...I made a scrumptious cole slaw,so he had leftover ham steak,lima beans and the slaw,and I had a leftover pork chop and some slaw.Really good!
I love cole slaw. How do you make yours? I brought a container of cut up cabbage for making cole slaw now all I have to do is make up a sauce.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Thoughts on the chicken and wild rice pilaf: easy enough for me to make, just needs a bit of time to prep before it can cook away in the slow cooker (that would be an hour because I'm 🐌). 3 cups of broth was too much. After 5 hours of cooking on LOW, there was way too much broth still left. I changed the setting to HIGH and let it go for another hour but it didn't help much. The wild rice was definitely cooked, just more creamy risotto-like than perfectly moist fluffy rice. The recipe does state that the rice comes out very soft. It's not just soft, it's mushy and slightly soupy:rolleyes: I think 2 cups of broth would be better especially since the mushrooms and carrots will release liquid too. Picture after I portioned it out into dinner-sized meals:

View attachment 313721

It's a bit bland but I didn't add a lot of salt and used unsalted broth.
That looks amazing!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Got my appetite back so no more Ensure for a while.

Lunch was roast beef and Swiss on pumpernickel with mayo and Dijon. I love this rb from the
deli but it's $13.00 per pound so I just got a half pound. It will make about 6 sandwiches so I
guess it is not really expensive.

Nicole will send dinner down, not sure what.

lizzie lizzie , When you're not busy could you post your coleslaw recipe?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I made pork and pheasant pate - ground pork, ground pheasant, strips of breast macerated in port (what I keep around for cooking, not the good stuff), egg, craisins plumped up, pistachios, salt, pepper, thyme, plus bacon to line dish.
Pate_2019-12_ingredients.jpg
Had company over for dinner. They brought a cheese platter for appetizer. We're eating and chatting and having a good time while the individual chicken pot pies (chicken, pearl onions, carrots, green peas, potato, white sauce with added mushrooms, with a biscuit topping) were baking. They brought blue cheese and cheddar. And one proscuitto cheese thing that none of us cared for so without really thinking I said "I made pheasant pate today. There is a small one from the extra ingredients." Hustled it out and yes, it was very nice.

Doesn't everyone have some house made pate around? Nod, nod, wink, wink

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my appetite back so no more Ensure for a while.

Lunch was roast beef and Swiss on pumpernickel with mayo and Dijon. I love this rb from the
deli but it's $13.00 per pound so I just got a half pound. It will make about 6 sandwiches so I
guess it is not really expensive.

Nicole will send dinner down, not sure what.

lizzie lizzie , When you're not busy could you post your coleslaw recipe?
In my opinion,the secret's in the sauce,and I also add a little grated onion to my slaw along with the grated carrot.The sauce is mayo,about 3/4 cup,2-3 T. of apple cider vinegar,salt and pepper to your taste and the sugar is the same....to your taste.
Some like a very sweet slaw,some like more tart,some like to use lemon juice,I prefer the cider vinegar,some don't like onion...I shredded about 1/2 a large head of cabbage and grated 1/4 of an onion.the carrot was good sized.Then you just toss and toss and in the fridge to chill.
Hope that helps!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion,the secret's in the sauce,and I also add a little grated onion to my slaw along with the grated carrot.The sauce is mayo,about 3/4 cup,2-3 T. of apple cider vinegar,salt and pepper to your taste and the sugar is the same....to your taste.
Some like a very sweet slaw,some like more tart,some like to use lemon juice,I prefer the cider vinegar,some don't like onion...I shredded about 1/2 a large head of cabbage and grated 1/4 of an onion.the carrot was good sized.Then you just toss and toss and in the fridge to chill.
Hope that helps!
Thank you!!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Last night Nicole sent down:
Hungarian sausage
Italian Sausage
Red peppers and Yellow peppers for the sandwiches
Her homemade baked beans
Slice of pecan pie

Not sure about tonight. I have Stouffer's Chicken pot pie in the freezer and I'm also
in the mood for egg salad.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the cole slaw recipe. I can't wait to try it.
Hope that helps!
Thanks for the cole slaw recipe. I can't wait to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.