What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
muffy muffy , I'm totally not mad at you either!! As a matter of fact, you popped into my head when the cat woke me up at 2:00 this morning lol. What helped me to start cooking more and better was shows/books such as Rachel Ray and Jamie Oliver. Very little time involved (30 minutes or less), often very few ingredients (sometimes just five), ease of preparation and tasty results.

America's test kitchen, cooks illustrated, cooks country and Alton Brown are other sources of great info, support and easy cooking methods :)

If you don't have a seasoning on hand and don't want to buy it, research for a substitute. Often I've done that and since I'm not necessarily a purist about following recipes, it often works just fine for my purposes.

Speaking of, I'm going to try cooks illustrateds butter chicken. 👍

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy , I'm totally not mad at you either!! As a matter of fact, you popped into my head when the cat woke me up at 2:00 this morning lol. What helped me to start cooking more and better was shows/books such as Rachel Ray and Jamie Oliver. Very little time involved (30 minutes or less), often very few ingredients (sometimes just give), ease of preparation and tasty results.

America's test kitchen, cooks illustrated, cooks country and Alton Brown are other sources of great info, support and easy cooking methods :)

If you don't have a seasoning on hand and don't want to buy it, research for a substitute. Often I've done that and since I'm not necessarily a purist about following recipes, it often works just fine for my purposes.

Speaking of, I'm going to try cooks illustrateds butter chicken. 👍
Sorry but I can't do what Rachael Rae does in any amount of time. I am partially disable and I don't have anybody going to the store for me to buy the stuff, clean, cook and cut up the food. The best I can do is eat canned food and cook frozen veg. and TV dinners which are expensive.

I didn't think you were mad at me but one person there did sound mad so I need to watch what I say.

Take care,
Ellen

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly hope you didn't think I was mad at you, muffy muffy .
View attachment 304792

Nope. I've always heard that olives were salty. Are they?
You were not the one.
I truly hope you didn't think I was mad at you, muffy muffy .
View attachment 304792

Nope. I've always heard that olives were salty. Are they?
Nope, you were not the one.

Yes, olives are very salty. That is why I like them so much. Safeway used to have an olive bar with fresh olives and they were very tasty. But people were not buying them because they were so expensive so they quite selling them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You were not the one.

Yes, olives are very salty. That is why I like them so much. Safeway used to have an olive bar with fresh olives and they were very tasty. But people were not buying them because they were so expensive so they quite selling them.
Publix (our local grocery chain) also used to have an olive bar and I loved it. They took it away for the same reason. I'm still sad that it's gone. You don't see salad bars much anymore either unfortunately.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last night was a grilled pork chop. Lily and I shared it. I had some steamed broccoli and carrots on the side. She passed on those. She loves pork chops and comes running when she knows I have one. I leave it unseasoned so she can have some. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whew... that's a relief. :) But do remember, sometimes words typed via a computer or phone come across differently than if they were said in person, where you can hear the tone of voice and expression on someone's face.

Oh, didn't realize olives were expensive, but I guess since olive oil is expensive, it makes sense that whole olives would be too.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it will be a small bowl of leftover Italian sauce with sausages, along with a small salad.

Not a supper salad, an easy small salad of: baby lettuce, cuke, tomato, a few croutons, with EVOO and balsamic vinegar as a dressing.

Tomorrow will be a supper quandary; What to make?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We ended up having our beef and broccoli stir fry last night; it was excellent. I made fried rice with brown rice. There's enough leftover for Rick to have for lunch today.

muffy muffy I think we're having frozen pizza tonight. Rick has to bowl early and I have a hair appt. There's never anything boring about pizza. I think I could eat it pretty much every night.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always heard that olives were salty. Are they?
Green olives are pretty salty. I don't think black olives are too salty. Try them on pizza next time you order one!

You don't see salad bars much anymore either unfortunately.
I noticed that! Grocery stores used to have salad bars, but they don't anymore.

I think we're having frozen pizza tonight
I don't like the way frozen pizza cooks in our little convection oven. I'm going to try the regular oven next time and see if it turns out better.

Last night I made a salad for dinner. But I didn't like my Aldi's blue cheese dressing. It says chunky, but it didn't have one single chunk in it. 👎

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a Burger King veggie burger and fries for lunch, so had a salad for dinner. Mixed romaine with chopped apple, cheese, walnuts and raisins. And I had a chocolate banana muffin for dessert.

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I have chicken in the oven roasting,and we have leftover mashed potatoes that I may add some parmesan to,there are leftover green beans and sliced tomato in the fridge so I think we're good there....that's what is for dinner!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a casserole tonight
Yum! Casseroles are my favorite. :yummy:

Multi-bean soup
Sounds delicious to use a variety of beans. :thumbsup:

Burger King veggie burger and fries for lunch
Did you get the regular veggie burger or the Impossible one? :)

walnuts and raisins
I always forget to put nuts in my salad. I never thought of putting raisins in. :think:

I cooked a Walmart Great Value frozen Shepherd's Pie for me & my dad. He liked it! It was different than the dry kind, this one has a sauce made with beef stock & tomato paste. I don't think I would buy it again, but it was fun to try. I want to try Aldi's version next.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you get the regular veggie burger or the Impossible one? :)
Burger King Canada doesn't have the Impossible Burger, only the regular veggie one, which I love. I've not had the Impossible Burger, but I did have the Beyond Meat one, and it was just ok. I thought it was too much like meat, actually.

I always forget to put nuts in my salad. I never thought of putting raisins in. :think:
If you like walnuts, they add a bit of protein, plus they have Omega 3. You can also put almond slivers. Neither, of course, are cheap. Nor are the raisins. I bought a big package of raisins, so I plan to make some oatmeal raisin cookies. :yummy:

Status
Not open for further replies.