What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight, it's Twisted Hot Dogs with Cheese and Onions. "Twisted?" you ask? WHY YES! Instead of buns, I'm going to nestle the little darlings in a bed of mashed potatoes, carmelize the onions, sprinkle liberally with grated cheese, and broil till the cheese melts and is bubbly. And fall on them like a ravening wolf.
:flail::lol2::lol:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Amendment to my dinner post of last night.

Nicole was in Amish country and ate at one of the restaurants there. Brought me turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, homemade noodles, gravy. Very large portion, everything made from scratch. Yum

Skippyandjif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having a light dinner tonight. Braised red and Savoy cabbage with Chinese eggplant (it’s like a long skinny version of a normal eggplant with a more mild, buttery taste), and some 7-grain bread on the side.

Last night I steamed some Malabar spinach in white wine and added a Spanish onion and some enoki mushrooms! And then I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top...oh my gosh, was that good.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I mentioned before that I get emails from Betty Crocker and from Pillsbury with recipes. And King Arthur. Every once in a while, I'll try one of them. Yesterday's experiment was a version of goulash with shell pasta. It was sauteed sausage with onion, chicken broth, a jarred pasta sauce, red pepper flakes, pasta shells, heavy cream, seasonings, and cheese.

I used a mix of bulk sausage and ground beef, the chopped onion, some peppers, celery, and garlic, beef broth, tomato sauce (I rarely have jarred pasta sauce on hand) and the pasta shells. You add enough liquid so that you can cook the shells in the sauce as the sauce thickens. I added basil, oregano, marjoram, and parsley, and some red pepper flakes. A wee bit of Worcestershire. And since I didn't have any heavy cream, I threw in fat free milk instead....didn't hurt it at all. Topped with some shredded cheese and then some freshly grated Parm. Not bad. And it was just one pot.

I never really follow a recipe, but it worked out. Rick liked it. We had it with a bit of salad and a couple slices of garlic-cheese toast. I had made a couple pitchers of iced mint tea with mint from the garden; the mint is pretty much done at this point.

And there's enough for leftovers for Tuesday night.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Danielle just called to tell me not to cook, she is bringing pork chops with mashed potatoes and creamed corn. And her gravy is to die for. AND she uses plenty of it, so I may go pop a frozen biscuit (YES...I cheat sometimes) in the oven to sop gravy with!

The twisted hot dogs were yummy. I ravened.

Status
Not open for further replies.