What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night for the first time ever I made cube steak, which we had with onion gravy over rice with carrots and baby peas for a side. The cube steak is definitely a keeper recipe, very easy and the meat is fork tender. Only issue is that after browning they need to simmer on very low heat for 2 hours. Which means I need to decide what's going to be for dinner well in advance.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on my own tonight for dinner.

You know, I haven't had KFC in years. I used to really like KFC, but I stopped eating it long ago. I just might go for it tonight.
It doesn't taste the way it used to. It's VERY salty and greasy now. It used to be good. Not any more. Popeye's is way better if you're going to eat fried chicken. They also have better mashed potatoes/gravy and better biscuits. If you have a good grocery store like Wegman's or something like that, they probably have better chicken than KFC. KFC has ranked at the bottom of fried chicken places for a while now. Sad but true.

If you have Popeye's near you, try the spicy. It's SO good.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fish sticks. I want fish sticks. I really, REALLY want fish sticks. Or...taquitos..I want taquitos. I really, REALLY want taquitos. Um...can I wrap a fish stick in a taco shell and call it fish taquitos?

Last night for the first time ever I made cube steak, which we had with onion gravy over rice with carrots and baby peas for a side. The cube steak is definitely a keeper recipe, very easy and the meat is fork tender. Only issue is that after browning they need to simmer on very low heat for 2 hours. Which means I need to decide what's going to be for dinner well in advance.
The thing that I love about my cube steak recipe, and I'll bet yours is the same, is that I don't have to make gravy. The gravy makes itself as the cube steaks simmer down!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My local grocery store has whole pork tenderloins on sale for $1.58 a pound,so hubby went in this morning and got me 2.I got one cut up into chops (16 meals) and a small roast,so we had roast pork with gravy,boiled new potatoes and green beans.It was so tender and juicy!I'd venture to say tomorrow will be leftovers!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't taste the way it used to. It's VERY salty and greasy now. It used to be good. Not any more. Popeye's is way better if you're going to eat fried chicken. They also have better mashed potatoes/gravy and better biscuits. If you have a good grocery store like Wegman's or something like that, they probably have better chicken than KFC. KFC has ranked at the bottom of fried chicken places for a while now. Sad but true.

If you have Popeye's near you, try the spicy. It's SO good.
We don't have a Popeye's, nor do we have a Wegman's close by us. I didn't go to KFC anyway. When I got home, I didn't feel like going back out again and having to deal with Friday night traffic, which is simply crazy around here. There was leftover spaghetti in the fridge, so I ate that instead. Cold. Didn't even bother to heat it in the microwave. Didn't even sit down; I ate while feeding the kids.

I used to really like Burger King's Whoppers. I gave them up around the same time I stopped eating KFC.

Not sure about tonight. I may just do a frozen meal. One of my GFs offered to take me out for Mexican and margaritas, since Rick isn't home. I don't know; I basically said thanks, but not tonight.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have a Popeye's, nor do we have a Wegman's close by us. I didn't go to KFC anyway. When I got home, I didn't feel like going back out again and having to deal with Friday night traffic, which is simply crazy around here. There was leftover spaghetti in the fridge, so I ate that instead. Cold. Didn't even bother to heat it in the microwave. Didn't even sit down; I ate while feeding the kids.

I used to really like Burger King's Whoppers. I gave them up around the same time I stopped eating KFC.

Not sure about tonight. I may just do a frozen meal. One of my GFs offered to take me out for Mexican and margaritas, since Rick isn't home. I don't know; I basically said thanks, but not tonight.
Burger King has joined KFC on a major slide downhill quality wise. You're right. The Whopper used to be so good. That was back when they were flame broiling. They rely more on artificial grill marks and microwaves now. They also put on WAY too much mayo. It doesn't matter which one you go to. They all do it like they have been instructed to. "Just add 1/2 a cup of mayo to make up for the fact that the meat tastes terrible." Their vegetables are sub par also. These places are relying on gimmicks to get people in now.

McDonald's has their "worldwide favorites" on the menu. Australia is represented by bacon cheese fries. Those are about as Australian as Outback Steakhouse. They are not even GOOD bacon cheese fries. IMO it's an insult to Australia.

Popeye's is my favorite fast food place. Unfortunately, I can't eat fried chicken much anymore. I like it way more than it likes me. :sigh:

I have no idea what is for dinner tonight. I have a nice ribeye in the fridge. Maybe I'll have that with some butternut squash on the side.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They rely more on artificial grill marks and microwaves now.
Really? Wow! Wonder if it's the same at Burger King Canada? At least if they're microwaving burgers, I don't have to worry about my veggie burger coming into contact with a beef burger on the grill. Though who knows how clean the microwaves are. :sigh:

Tonight I had a grilled cheese, onion and tomato sandwich, and some more salad

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really? Wow! Wonder if it's the same at Burger King Canada? At least if they're microwaving burgers, I don't have to worry about my veggie burger coming into contact with a beef burger on the grill. Though who knows how clean the microwaves are. :sigh:

Tonight I had a grilled cheese, onion and tomato sandwich, and some more salad
You can smell the grill driving past when they actually fire it up. It used to be all the time. Now it's every now and then. Sad. That's the one thing they had over McDonald's for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.