What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a couple of bone in chicken thighs roasting. I'll share those with the girls and have some green bean mushroom risotto (from Bird's Eye- a steam it in the bag then dump it into a bowl and eat it thing). The chicken thighs are smelling good. I'm getting yelled at. They aren't cooking fast enough.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Yum! Just yum! Those chanterelles look lovely.

I had a bit of a headache last night. When we came home from groceries, I had a tuna sandwich (40-calorie bread, a wee bit of light mayo, mustard, drained tuna in water, and some zucchini relish; I didn't feel like chopping onion or celery. With some blueberries as a bit of dessert. I threw the tuna salad together, ate my sandwich and blueberries, and was in bed by 8:00 and probably asleep by 8:15.

Tonight Rick is grilling smoked pork chops with a big twice-baked sweet potato that we'll share and a bit of chopped salad. My dessert will be the last of the container of frozen blueberries in the kitchen freezer, probably about 3 ounces or so. I'll have to bring up another container of blueberries from the basement freezer. I do love frozen blueberries.
You can buy pre-chopped celery and onions in the produce department. Worth it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Heinz beans in tomato sauce are the only canned baked beans I like. I'm not sure if we have Bushes beans here or not, but if we do, they definitely don't state "vegetarian" on the label.

That sounds good. Must check and see if we have that here. I don't buy Amy's products often, as they are rather pricey.

Is it cooked, or still raw?
The cukes are peeled and sliced about 1/8" thick,as are the onions,and I just use a lock n lock bowl,mix up some vinegar and sugar til the sugar dissolves,pour it over the raw veggies and stick them in the fridge overnight.No spices or even salt....they're a favorite here in the show me state,and so good!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With yesterday's hot dry weather the remaining chanterelles that I left outdoors to grow a little more have gone over, in just one day. That will teach me. Last night we had some of the refrigerated chanterelles sauteed with onion, green peas, pan grilled shrimp over rice. Very nice.

lizzie lizzie When I make bread and butter pickles I slice the onions and cucumber, sprinkle with salt, place in colander in the sink, then top with ice cubes and leave for a couple of hours. It really helps crisp them up.

Winchester Winchester I only once found a morel here. The little black chanterelles are superb but few in number and difficult to find. We also like when I forage for chicken of the woods and hen of the woods.
I don't usually make bread and butter pickles.We prefer what I call a sweet lime pickle...in my family,my Aunt Melia was famous for hers....so when I whip up a batch of those,they get soaked in lime water overnight,I make up the sugar syrup into which I put a spice ball of pickling spices in to soak overnight and proceed from there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The cukes are peeled and sliced about 1/8" thick,as are the onions,and I just use a lock n lock bowl,mix up some vinegar and sugar til the sugar dissolves,pour it over the raw veggies and stick them in the fridge overnight.No spices or even salt....they're a favorite here in the show me state,and so good!
Sounds interesting. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie I've made a similar refrigerator pickle recipe and they are good. Now I'm hungry for pickles!

Rick surprised me yesterday; he came in and picked me up for lunch. We went to Wendy's for a burger. It was nice.

Not sure about tonight. I'm thinking of just a Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice meal. It's hot, it's sticky, and I don't feel like much of anything.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, now I want what Kat0121 Kat0121 wants and I also want the chanterelles that C catapault has. A family member has morels growing on his property and we are welcome to have as many as we can find, but they have 40 acres and it's just too difficult for me. The woods are kind of scary as well. Everything everyone posted sounds so delicious.

Last night I had chicken salad and green beans with the rest of my girls' birthday cake. I'm having Totino Pizza Rolls for breakfast, a comfort food for me. Hannah is not coming in today so I'm on my own. I'll graze on fruit, cheese, crackers, pita chips and dip. I'll have the last of the chicken salad for dinner.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had those Australian fries from McDonalds tonight, because you know I'm going to try anything that says Australia, since I almost moved there. :D

The fries were really soggy. :( I think they should serve the cheese sauce on the side for dipping.
Those fries are about as Australian as Outback Steakhouse. :lol:

Yes. They should serve the cheese on the side. Soggy fries are a no go in my world.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
muffy muffy Rick and I like Cracker Barrel. When he's in the mood for comfort food, he wants to go there for supper. I really like their breakfasts. I can make their fried apples, so when I do breakfast here at home, I'll make some apples for Rick. He loves them.

I'm thinking of a grilled provolone sandwich and a small salad for dinner tonight. It's going to be another day of muggy splendor. Ick

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rick and I like Cracker Barrel. When he's in the mood for comfort food, he wants to go there for supper. I really like their breakfasts.
Their hash brown casserole is to die for!

Tonight...um. Well. Don't laugh, but fish sticks. I LOVE fish sticks. Top three favorite "quick and easy comfort foods" are hot dogs, fish sticks and chicken pot pies. And I just had hot dogs.

Now, here's a question, vastly out-of-season, but still...I wonder why grocery stores won't sell celery by the stalk (1 or 2) around the holidays? I'm not a big celery eater, and it's just me, and a bunch would go to waste, so I don't put it in my cornbread dressing (stuffing for you Yanks), but I do like to use it in there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, here's a question, vastly out-of-season, but still...I wonder why grocery stores won't sell celery by the stalk (1 or 2) around the holidays?
Or anytime really, as a bit of celery adds a nice crunch to sandwiches. Just a hunch, but wonder if it would be too hard to split them up evenly, and then to price them. Or, that once they're split they lose their crispness quicker. :dunno:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Now, here's a question, vastly out-of-season, but still...I wonder why grocery stores won't sell celery by the stalk (1 or 2) around the holidays? I'm not a big celery eater, and it's just me, and a bunch would go to waste, so I don't put it in my cornbread dressing (stuffing for you Yanks), but I do like to use it in there.
Odd. I’ve never had trouble finding celery by the stalk. I don’t use much, either, so I never buy a bunch, but I do want it in dressing at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Isn’t it sold by the pound? Can’t you just break off a stalk or two like you can with bananas, or would the produce police stop you? You could always ask one of the stocker people (or stalker people since we’re talking about celery :lol:).

Status
Not open for further replies.